Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This one is for all 9mm open shooters

a matt

I'm not sure why some of the above say you can't get enough powder in 9mm to make major. When open class began I got one of the first Glock 17Ls and made major with a 130 grain fmj .38super bullet by WW - .356 dia - which chronographed @ 1422 fps at several major matches. Used 4756 powder and was loaded as long as would fit in the chamber and magazines. I don't remember what the powder charge was as they were loaded for me by someone else.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know if my opinion counts very much... i just got a STI Steel Match tuned by Dawson Precision.. shot a match last sunday... WITHOUT ONE HICCUP.. man i like this gun

Running 7.5 grs of VV350 under 124/125 grs' ... Easily makes major in my Gans 9...case is pretty full, and you can't run the 650 like a drunken mad man or as the plate indexes you have powder everywhere...run it smooth and steady, no problems..

8,0-8,2 grs of VV3N38 under 124 Frontier. In an old Springfield P9 with 4 hybrid holes and a 3 chamber comp. Makes major without any problems except pretty full cases. I use mixed brass, and I have cases that has been reloaded 6-7 times. One split case of 6000 rounds.

Greetings from Norway

Frank

Where's the love for Limcat Custom's???? Just picked up a Flash Cat now I have to learn to run it!

Autocomp 6.4gr and MG 124gr JHP is the formule Johnny recommend's

Edited by ronin16

• 4 weeks later...

IMO. You can't beat the reliability, service, backing and performance that you will get from a Limcat gun and I like the 9mm over the more expensive .38 SC. If money was no issue I would choose the .38SC just because of the added reloading safety from the longer brass and the greater availabilty of powders, but I'm never going to be a sponsored shooter or a millionaire so 9 major works just fine for me. ;-)

Well Alan, I only have 1500 rounds thru my new Shogun from Akai and just started shooting open class so I am no expert by any means just love to shoot---and so far the dark side has me hooked...moving and shooting thru our stages with this gun is like hauling a$$ down a winding road on my S-Works Tarmac racing bike. Lite, nimble and fast...Aftec, midday length, comped beast that so far runs and the finish on the gun is really nice.

The jury is still out on the SC thing--I went SC b/c that was the recommendation at the time. You know me I pick up brass and so it isin't a prob so far. I tell you I would love to find someone with a high speed camera and video the cycling of the gun and compare it to others.

So, when you coming to open! I will tell you open blows everything out of the water for me.

David

Flatness or the concept is probably not the right word. What theory do they subscribe to? They must shoot 38S for some reason?

It all revolves around powder choices. The most popular powders right now (In no particular order,N105, 3N38, 7625, 4756) all dang near fill a SC case. You can't get enough in a 9 case to even make major, much less the 172-175 that Open guns run best at...

3n38, 7625 and 4756 all easily make Major under 115's in a 9mm gun, at least both my full size guns. For example 9.65 grains of 3n38 goes a tick over 173 and 8 grains of 7625 is 172.5 PF. I haven't tried N105.

Flatness or the concept is probably not the right word. What theory do they subscribe to? They must shoot 38S for some reason?

It all revolves around powder choices. The most popular powders right now (In no particular order,N105, 3N38, 7625, 4756) all dang near fill a SC case. You can't get enough in a 9 case to even make major, much less the 172-175 that Open guns run best at...

3n38, 7625 and 4756 all easily make Major under 115's in a 9mm gun, at least both my full size guns. For example 9.65 grains of 3n38 goes a tick over 173 and 8 grains of 7625 is 172.5 PF. I haven't tried N105.

You must have magical barrels! :cheers: You sure your using 9 cases :devil: 124s and 4756 would not make major with my barrels.

"For example 9.65 grains of 3n38 goes a tick over 173" and a bunch of ticks on the floor. :D

I'll have to try 7625 with 115 as I just happen to have a LB of 7625. I have 4756 also. Game on! Just fill up the cases and use a level to smooth out the top right?

So, what is your go-to load now? Still Sil?

I'm not sure why some of the above say you can't get enough powder in 9mm to make major. When open class began I got one of the first Glock 17Ls and made major with a 130 grain fmj .38super bullet by WW - .356 dia - which chronographed @ 1422 fps at several major matches. Used 4756 powder and was loaded as long as would fit in the chamber and magazines. I don't remember what the powder charge was as they were loaded for me by someone else.

The extra barrel length of 17L and 130s make a heck a difference. I think most folks are referring to 5" open guns.

You must have magical barrels! :cheers: You sure your using 9 cases :devil: 124s and 4756 would not make major with my barrels.

"For example 9.65 grains of 3n38 goes a tick over 173" and a bunch of ticks on the floor. :D

I'll have to try 7625 with 115 as I just happen to have a LB of 7625. I have 4756 also. Game on! Just fill up the cases and use a level to smooth out the top right?

I didn't say it was easy to LOAD! With 3n38, yep pretty much just level it off. I think that's just about 9.8. Super flat but a pain to load. I burnt about 3 pounds out of a 4# jug and sold the rest. Damn nice to shoot though.

7625 leave just a tick of free space to start the bullet.

4756 is completely not practical but will get 170+ It's worse to load than 3n38 my friend!

The Hoffman/McLearn has a Schuemann classic barrel and that one still runs on Sil primarily. The Akai I got last year has a SV and gets fed HS-6.

I didn't say it was easy to LOAD! With 3n38, yep pretty much just level it off. I think that's just about 9.8. Super flat but a pain to load. I burnt about 3 pounds out of a 4# jug and sold the rest. Damn nice to shoot though.

7625 leave just a tick of free space to start the bullet.

4756 is completely not practical but will get 170+ It's worse to load than 3n38 my friend!

The Hoffman/McLearn has a Schuemann classic barrel and that one still runs on Sil primarily. The Akai I got last year has a SV and gets fed HS-6.

115 and HS6 also

i just started shooting open this march... since my budget is limited .. i bought a new STI Steel Match. from Dawson Precision.... since i got it.. i have shot right at 2,500 rds without one malfunction or hiccup... i shoot 9 minor mostly my reloads...... and i will disagree with anyone that states they are having more fun than I am..

• 2 weeks later...

I developed all my 9 major loads in a shorty, 10gr of AA#7 with 124gr JHP works great, and you can spill lots of it on the shell plate, it does shoot a lot like N105, it finds its own oal. between the seater and the crimp. As far a stuffing lots of powder in a case one guy told me he was shooting BlueDot in 9m with 115gr, and I've heard of N105 loads. And lots of folks shoot 3n38 loads, in 9 major.

Hello: I have been using 3N37 since I like the looks of flattened primers using 115grain bullets and I don't have much HS-6 left :surprise: Thanks, Eric

good luck finding more too... even Hodgdon is out of that and WAC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting a flash cat it takes 7 grains of auto comp 1.145 with auto comp under a 124 mg hp to make a 165 power factor me and my other buddy both shoot flash cats real nice guns ur going to love it

• 2 weeks later...

A have a stock STI Trubor with a trigger job by a local GM trigger job. He had to do lots of tweaking, but Paul whitacre did a great job, and the gun has had no problems.

I shot 38 super before, and 9mm major I awesome.

• 4 months later...

My daughter and I shoot 38 super comp built by Johnny lim, I have never shot a 9maj gun but she has and says it is much snappier and harder to control, the fact she is 14 yrs old and 90 pounds might have something to do with that but regardless think I will stick with 38 sc.