Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another powder question

jwilson007

Hi guys, I am stil in the initial stages of getting into reloading and looking for a bit of guidance. I have been doing a good bit of research so I will be somewhat knowledgable before actually reloading. I see other posts asking "what powder for X" and I also see a wide array of responses and that's for just one caliber.

I'm wondering if it will be feasible to narrow down at least pistol powders down to just 1-2 for the calibers I will be reloading which will likely include 9mm for sure, 38/357, and 45. I'm sure I'll need a seperate powder for 223 or other rifle calibers and that's fine. Just wondering if I have to stock many different powders for various calibers or what the best course of action would be. How many different powders do you guys keep on hand typically?

I hear Clays seems to be useful for a variety of pistol calibers, was thinking about starting with that and maybe one more for my first reloads and see what works best for me. If you have any other advice please let me know!

Powder selection will depend on what type of performance level you will be loading for the pistol rounds. Wimpy, moderate, high power. A medium burn rate powder would be the most versatile for the pistol rounds. It can work for light loads and provide pretty good results for the 357, though probably not the highest velocity. If you're seeking low recoil, then a faster burning powder would be better since it will require less for the same velocity and less charge weight means less recoil. As noted, 231 is a very good powder that is versatile for the calibers listed, though it will fall short for high performance 357. But 231 is one of the most common generic powders that will fill many roles.

A definite NO for Clays. While its a good powder, and a lot can be done with it, for a newb, it's not a great choice. For a good, cheap, safe powder that you can load everything you list except the rifle, look into Alliant Power Pistol.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Titegroup will work in all those calibers, and .40 too. Clays is great for .45 and I love it in my .38spl. You can definitely have just a couple of powders for all those calibers. Let's include .40 just because it's so popular, you might find yourself looking into it soon. Maybe you'll load some ammo for a buddy.

For me in those calibers it's Clays in .45 and .38spl, and Titegroup in .40. I use WSF in my 9mm, but Titegroup is almost as good out of my gun.

Be very careful and go very slow. Caution is the operative word. And welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. There's a TON of good info here in the reloading section.

Kevin

When you look at powders also look at the charge weights listed in the books paying attention to anything with an asterisk because that usually denotes a compressed load. Stay away from those. Otherwise look at the range listed. Some have a small window to work with, others give you a big range.

Look at the starting velocity for each load. If you want something that makes major PF it is best to start with a powder that gets you close to start with rather than one that barely makes major at the max level. That said the softest shooting powders will be the ones like Clays that barely make major at the max charge, while the harshest to shoot are the ones like Longshot that make major with the minimum charge.

I started out with the "generic" type powders. Then after a few hundred rounds, and much asking and research, here in the caliber specific reloading forum as well as reloading manuals, started to develop a load to suit my needs. It's still a work in progress, and since I shoot Production, learned that my pistol works better with a lighter recoil spring with minor PF loads. There is extremely good information here, but cross reference everything with a published manual. A typo by someone concerning OAL can lead to big problems. I'll be quick to add I've seen that sort of thing fixed pretty quickly, though. As a final thought, make sure while reading in the forum, the load data your about to steal is being used in a similar way you wish to use it. For instance, a .40 loaded long to make major in an open gun isn't suitable for my XDm.

Ask, ant you will learn!

B

Even more good info! Being a newbie and clueless about competition stuff, I have no idea what Major/Minor power factor even is, but I will keep this in mind if I ever cross that bridge! Initially I will be mostly loading for practice shooting, but I do want to look into the competition thing more this year.

At least I have several good options for general pistol powders to go with and work up some loads and test them out.

Even more good info! Being a newbie and clueless about competition stuff, I have no idea what Major/Minor power factor even is, but I will keep this in mind if I ever cross that bridge! Initially I will be mostly loading for practice shooting, but I do want to look into the competition thing more this year.

At least I have several good options for general pistol powders to go with and work up some loads and test them out.

http://38super.net/Pages/Major.html

It's not that Clays is a bad powder it's that it is a very fast powder. A little goes a long way and it is not as forgiving when you are new to loading. Power Pistol, as GrumpyOne suggests, is a slow powder it takes much more powder to give the same velocity to the bullet. If you accidentally double charge the case it will most likely spill out the top of the case. You can work up a load more safely because the pressure curve is not as steep.

231/HP38 is a good starting powder. It's in the middle between Clays and Power Pistol. There are no good and bad powders. Each powder is designed for a specific application. Make sure what you want to do with the load falls into the application range of the specific powder.

Get a chronograph it's a must have. Work up the load from the bottom and even if your press will auto index, check each case for powder. Put a light on your press so you can look down into the case before you put the bullet on.

Power factor is a measure of bullet weight times velocity. A 165 grain bullet at 1,000 fps is 165 PF. A 200 grain bullet at 1,000 fps is 200 PF.

USPSA and IDPA have power factor requirements at different levels. USPSA has minor at 125 PF and major at 165 PF so in order to be scored at the major PF level your loads need to push the bullets out faster than what is needed to make minor.

A powder like Clays requires a small charge close to its max limit to make major. It is easy to double charge a case which is why we do not recommend it for new reloaders. PP will fill the case up with one charge so double charging a case is next to impossible.

Noted, I will not be learning with Clays. You guys are most helpful!

I have been reading the "ABC's of Reloading" and starting to look over some manuals to get a grasp on these concepts before I start. I bought 2 reloading books/manuals several years ago, now I can't find them haha. Oh well guess it's time for a new volume anyway :)

I use Autocomp for 9mm, .40 and .45. works really well with no issues after thousands of bullets loaded.The biggest challenge was getting good load information for the various bullets. Haven't tried it in .38/.357 but will be soon.

New to this whole thing as well. Working with a good local dealer that sells reloading stuff only. They also do reloading of their own for sale. They gave me their personal preferences, which this all may come down to anyway.

Pistol: Accurate No.2 or No. 5 seem to be a good all aroung choices that will work fine for your 9mm, .38/.357 and 45APC. I plan to load the same rounds. WIN 231, Hodgdon Tite Group and HP-38 also suggested

Rifle: .223, Accurate 2230 or 2520. Also RamShot TAC, Hodgdon Varget, H335 other suggestions.

Another thing to look at when you get ready to choose a powder is how it interacts with your bullet of choice. Some powders like Titegroup do not mix well with Moly coated or lead bullets. It works great for jacketed bullets. So ask before you start loading a bunch up and we will tell you if it works with your bullet of choice.

• 2 months later...

Bless you all for this Topic! I too am starting to accumulate the supplies needed for reloading and freaked out when I couldn't find anything! The first powder I found I could buy was Clays. Thanks to the advice from you all, I'm trying to cancel my order!

I do have on backorder, Federal Small Pistol Primer (1K of regular for .38 spl and 1K of Magnum for .357 mag) plus 2K worth of BERRY'S CAST BULLETS 38CAL 158GR SWC.

Any thoughts on Powder selection for .38 spl/.357 mag with the above specs for a brand newbie to reloading?