Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you ever seen a shooter shoot from the weak hand freestyle?

ProGunGuy

So I was at a match recently and saw something i have never seen before. A shooter in my squad, that was right handed, shot left side shots freestyle with his left hand as dominate and right hand as support.

He actually scored quite well doing it. would this make sense from a speed and scoring stand point to do it this way?

I was taught to shoot this way around barricades from my father as a kid as a way to present less of a profile as you shot around them. He even taught me to use my left eye when doing this also. I can fire a long gun this way also, but my manual of arms gets all messed up at that point.

I think I am on the same page as Jimmy. My background is primarily defense and I am just getting started with competition. I believe I present much less profile switching sides but two problems occur. First is that I have to transfer the firearm which takes time and opens one more possible opportunity to loose control of the firearm. Second and most important is that my manual of arms on my weak side is very less effective than my strong side. I do however feel it is a great skill to work on and believe that shooting this way in a fun match would be good experience. I just dont know if I will ever invest the time in training to be competition ready.

I was taught to shoot this way around barricades from my father as a kid as a way to present less of a profile as you shot around them. He even taught me to use my left eye when doing this also. I can fire a long gun this way also, but my manual of arms gets all messed up at that point.

I took a bunch of law enforcement firearms classes back in the 90's and that is how they taught barricade shooting. Right side is right hand and right eye, left side is left hand and left eye regardless of any dominance. Don't think I would do it in any competition though.

Shot a local match one time shooting both ends of the barricade. Shot the left side, reloded and shot the right side without realizing I had switched hands after the reload.

A lot of defense classes stress this skill and it certainly wouldn't be a bad one to have - especially if you have to shoot around a tight corner on the weak side.

One of our local single stack shooters in a match recently ran out of reload mags. He carries his barney in a pouch behind his holster. He switched his gun to weak hand, and did a weak hand reload. Smooth, too.

That's what happens when you forget to replenish your belt between stages.

ETA: just noticed I'm in the IDPA area. This was USPSA.

Edited by six-gun shooter

So I was at a match recently and saw something i have never seen before. A shooter in my squad, that was right handed, shot left side shots freestyle with his left hand as dominate and right hand as support.

He actually scored quite well doing it. would this make sense from a speed and scoring stand point to do it this way?

Probably used to be a PPC shooter. Some habits never die.

I do it all of the time and don't even know that I'm doing most of the time.

And yes, I am/was a PPC shooter.

I do it sometime and never notice. It a old habit for paintball that I can not break. There are 4 or 5 us at our club that played paintball against each other for years and we are the only ones that do it. I do it with rifles too. My dad taught me to shoot rifles both ways for hunting out of climbers.

If a person can shoot this way pretty close to equally well from both sides it could work great as far as exposing less of yourself in a real life situation. But a lot of us haven't tried it or practiced it enough to be effective. I have tried it, in practice, and found it took me too long to get comfortable with my grip, also I really wasn't noticing how much of myself was exposed during that time and I would be exposed for a longer time. Plus, I didn't shoot as accurately or fast. I would be better off shooting with my usual strong hand grip and canting your body to expose as little as possible beyond the barricade, unless I practiced it a lot more. Mark

If a person can shoot this way pretty close to equally well from both sides it could work great as far as exposing less of yourself in a real life situation. But a lot of us haven't tried it or practiced it enough to be effective. I have tried it, in practice, and found it took me too long to get comfortable with my grip, also I really wasn't noticing how much of myself was exposed during that time and I would be exposed for a longer time. Plus, I didn't shoot as accurately or fast. I would be better off shooting with my usual strong hand grip and canting your body to expose as little as possible beyond the barricade, unless I practiced it a lot more. Mark

This is a learned skill set that would have to be perfected over a period of years. I've been shooting PPC for 27 years.

I did it sunday at a match. Tough shot from the LH side of cover. I threw the gun into my weak (left) hand and shot them. I wasn't thinking much about it, and could not tell you why I did it, though it would have been a tougher strong hand shot for me to contort that far over given my size and foot position.

After the match was over I reshot the stage and did it a second time. Go figure.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

I tried this once when faced with a fairly extreme angle around a barricade.

I felt more stable but I doubt that it was significantly better/faster because I was unaccustomed to it. With enough practice one could determine if it was worth it.

I've gone left hand only for barricades and just as a drill, but never using my strong hand to support. Many LEO's train weak hand only shooting... but both hands reversed roles would take lots of practice!

I saw a very experienced shooter slice his hand wide open shooting weak hand "freestyle" by crossing his thumb over the top. He could shoot WHO just fine, but let him use his strong hand for support and he got stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done it before on the rifle portion of a stage. There was an elevated shooting box (touching the ground was a procedural...) behind a barricade that was too small for me to use the left side with a right handed stance. If you practice that, I think it helps make you more versatile, but it's not really in my "top 5 things to practice."

I've gone left hand only for barricades and just as a drill, but never using my strong hand to support. Many LEO's train weak hand only shooting... but both hands reversed roles would take lots of practice!

I saw a very experienced shooter slice his hand wide open shooting weak hand "freestyle" by crossing his thumb over the top. He could shoot WHO just fine, but let him use his strong hand for support and he got stupid.

Yup. Learned weak hand dominate grip in a defensive class. I would want to keep my normal strong hand position crossed and behind. Corrected the grip before I took any shots. I'd never try this in a match without a lot of practice first.