Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most popular bullet weight for IDPA CDP division? 185gr 230gr

tiger49931

Simple post with not A SIMPLE ANSWER, what do you feel the perfect grain weight for .45 is to hit 165 PF heavy and slow or more speed and lighter?

Do you get a big difference in felt recoil when you go lighter?

was thinking 230gr and 800 fps but your thoughts?

Mine eats 225 gr TC cast lead like a champ. I went through a couple cases of 185 jhp MG's and finally decided that the price wasnt justified. I tried some lighter stuff too, but that didnt seem to work for me. YMMV.

I would say 200gr or 230 in CDP but, a lot of it has to do with what your gun and powder mix like better.

I know some people that shoot 200gr semi-wadcutters because that is what works in their gun. I shoot 230gr RN as it is what my 1911 Springfield Range officer seems to like with N320.

the gun for this will be my S&W 625 with a full clark custom compitition job on it and my new STI 1911 single stack. i realize they may not like the same loads for accuraccy reasons. but i hope i can find a speed load for 230 grain that each will like even if i have to load one hotter thatn the other..

I just didnt want to have to do 185 for the 1911 and 230's for the revolver

• 2 weeks later...

Testing with a mechanical device used to measure gun movement suggests that heavy bullets produce less recoil (movement) than light bullets at the same power factor loaded with the same gunpowder.

http://38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html

However, a shooter might prefer the "feel" of lighter bullets. This is where personally testing differ loads will help you decide what works best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

most of the guys I know shooting CDP or uspsa Single stack use 230gr lead rd with 3.9-4.0 gr of Clays. Seems the recoil impluses is soft but fast enough to get you sights back on target quick. Some of the real top shooters will put up with a quicker /heavier recoil impluse to get the sights back on target quicker.

230 and clays seems to do both as several master class shooters use that combo.

(for what its worth)

Shoot straight

• 3 weeks later...

I use 230 gr bullets in both my 625 and my E Series 1911. Lower velocity to achieve PF, lower felt recoil and they drop steel like a bad habit!

Edited by S391