Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Kaboom

rjstubbl

I was shooting my Glock 34 yesterday and after about 15 rounds, it blew. My dad was right next to me and said it didn't sound any different from the previous shots. He only knew when I dropped the gun on the ground. It felt like my hands were on fire and all dirty from the powder burns and I was left with some nasty blood blisters. They were reloads. The upper seems completely fine except the extractor was ripped out. It cracked the frame, blew out half the trigger, blew the mag and grip plug out.

Any ideas of what could have happened? I don't think it was a double load because the upper was fine. Could it have been a case blow out?

Edited by rjstubbl

I have no idea what happened to your pistol but almost every time this happens it is caused by a reload and rarely with factory ammunition.

Were you using the OEM Glock barrel and did the previous round sound and recoil normal?

I saw the exact thing happen last year. Owner, also shooting reloads, believed he must have double charged it. If I remember correctly, always a big if, his upper didn't look bad. Frame broken, magazine in pieces on the ground, mag release just plain gone.

Any ideas of what could have happened?

I am sorry to hear about this!

Your speculation is probably the most informed guess anyone can make with the few details (and no photos) in your account but, if I had to guess, I'd say that this sure sounds like a double charge.

afaik, but not limited to these: 1) Glock oem barrels' chambers in 9mm are "amply supported" unlike a .40SW 2) double loads alone dont damage the uppers and lowers, 3) double loads combined w/ other factors, could cause case rupture in the 6:00 or case-head separation. 4) firing thru a clogged barrel will damage the upper. 5) Glocks could fire out of battery.

Every round sounded fine. The previous round was not a squib or anything. It was a lone wolf barrel and there was a piece of brass stuck in the chamber afterwards. I will post some pictures tomorrow with my computer. It said they are too big trying with my iPad.

Edited by rjstubbl

Had the same sort of thing happen with a G35 with original barrel. Felt the same way you described it, extractor gone, upper was ok, and on mine the frame was ok.

I had been using range brass fired one too many times - it appeared that the case let go. Happened once for me in about 40k+ rounds. Replaced extractor when I got home, years later now and it only happened that one time.

Test the remaining bullets you have for setback issues by pushing them against a table with your thumb. I'm wondering if you were reloading "glocked brass" and ended up with a ton of setback causing a pressure spike.

I don't understand. If he's shooting 'glocked brass' in a Glock, why would that be a problem? Also, I thought the problem is mainly with .40.

Pretty much what I thought too A.T.. I don't see nearly the bulge in 9 as I do 40.

Besides, Glock bulge would not have much to do with setback. The bulge will keep the round from possibly chambering all the way which could lead to FOOB.

Test the remaining bullets you have for setback issues by pushing them against a table with your thumb. I'm wondering if you were reloading "glocked brass" and ended up with a ton of setback causing a pressure spike.

I don't understand. If he's shooting 'glocked brass' in a Glock, why would that be a problem? Also, I thought the problem is mainly with .40.

Pretty much what I thought too A.T.. I don't see nearly the bulge in 9 as I do 40.

Besides, Glock bulge would not have much to do with setback. The bulge will keep the round from possibly chambering all the way which could lead to FOOB.

Couple of thoughts here: One theory holds that the Glock bulge contributes to weakening of the case, because the material in that area is worked "more" than the rest of the case/normal cases. If a piece of brass did not have all of the bulge removed, and had been previously weakened, by having been worked in the same area, I could see an out of battery (round didn't chamber fully to remaining bulge, but chambered enough to allow the trigger to be pulled/striker to fall) firing combining with pressure hitting the weakened portion of the case, which isn't resting in the barrel, because of the bulge -- and the case gives way.....

And yes, I'd be checking my workflow for powder accuracy, absence of double charges, proper case sizing, and inspect finished ammo for setback....

It could be one of several things mentioned, or even a few that have not been mentioned yet. The brass is the most important part to examine for a foresnic analysis, but just photos won't be enough.

Edited by MarkCO

Was it once fired brass, range pick up brass? If experienced case head separation with major pf ammo and its never blown the mag out. Not to say that it can't but sounds like you may have excessive powder problems and bad brass. Where you able to find the head stamp to tell what kind of case it was?

I was having a lot of issues with bullet setback and bulging at the bases of the cases on my 9mm cases once it hit about the 5th time reloading it. Switching to the Lee U Die solved this issue. But I also case check every round I load to make sure they will feed correctly to hopefully avoid out of batter firing if something hangs up. I've found several cracked cases along the way while inspecting my reloads. This has also carried over to my .40S&W reloading with the U Dies as well as the GR-X on every reloading and case checking the complete rounds. I have found many more cracked .40S&W cases that I ever did 9mm and I've loaded about 10x more 9mm. .40S&W seems very prone to cracking cases. The U Die does a fantastic job with avoiding bullet setback without any crimp. To avoid an over charge I alway use a RCBS Lockout Die. They are fantastic.

Glad you didn't get hurt. Kinda surprised no one commented on the fact that you dropped the gun. That's a big no-no, unless the thing literally blew out of your hands.

Heh. Criticizing him for dropping the gun. Next you're going to criticize him for hitting a no-shoot with the round that blew up the gun.