Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shotgun for quad load / load two

uhcoog1

What is the best shotgun platform for the quad load? Best brand?

After playing with the loading technique with a few different shotguns I have, I'm guessing the best "platform" would have minimal receiver thickness in front of the loading port, and minimal forearm bulge. Anything else?

I also noticed it can be difficult to ensure the shell is pushed past the catch, and that some guys are grinding down that area of the receiver to allow your thumb to go further and guarantee you don't miss the catch. How far is just right?

Thanks!

Remington Versa Max hands down!!! You can see what I did to mine at the link below. I able to hit 3.5 seconds the other day doing the quad load.

http://www.brianenos...howtopic=161003

I agree versamax +1 for the load2/4 method. it has a extra long loading area for the 3.5'' shells, that make the second shell able to be loaded at roughly the same angle and thus being very smooth with the load 2.

I can now get under 5 seconds all day long with load 2.

If you want i have a carbonarms FSL 8 Pm me if you are interested.

1. Benelli SuperNova
  2. Remington Versa-Max
  3. Benelli M2
  4. FNH SLP
  5. Mossberg 930

A properly set-up 930 wil be easier than a stock SuperNova and maybe even one with a loading port profile that is not optimum. The differences are minimal and can be dealt with. I've seen James pick up someone elses gun and after a few passes get very close to the same speed as on his personal gun.

Magazine spring tension has a lot to do with the pure loading speed too. A 12 round tube, loading the first 8 rounds, may be easier than loading 8 into an 8 round tube. Resist the urge to trim the spring too short to pick up speed and lose function as a result.

That's an interesting point about the versamax's larger loading port! I can definitely see an advantage to that!

What makes the benelli supernova so good? 3.5" loading port plus no handguard to compete with?

That's an interesting point about the versamax's larger loading port! I can definitely see an advantage to that!

What makes the benelli supernova so good? 3.5" loading port plus no handguard to compete with?

And the Supernova lifter locks out of your way while loading. It's genius!

I would usually lean towards the Nova for this application, but I think the VersaMax with a welded lifter would be top choice. Maybe I just have poor technique but when I Quad Load weakhand with the gun flipped upside down and tucked between my body and my strong arm the second pair of shells gets hung up on that damn bulge in the Nova forearm(about 1:00 on the forearm) while I am following through the first pair's insertion. I can usually save it but it does happen. I just ordered a spare forearm so I can start grinding on the one I already have without fear of ruin. Strong hand with gun over the shoulder would probably work better for the Nova. On another note the lifter locking out of the way DOES make the loads following the initial lifter push/activation become a little bit easier. Every little bit helps define the end result. YMMV

I would usually lean towards the Nova for this application, but I think the VersaMax with a welded lifter would be top choice. Maybe I just have poor technique but when I Quad Load weakhand with the gun flipped upside down and tucked between my body and my strong arm the second pair of shells gets hung up on that damn bulge in the Nova forearm(about 1:00 on the forearm) while I am following through the first pair's insertion. I can usually save it but it does happen. I just ordered a spare forearm so I can start grinding on the one I already have without fear of ruin. Strong hand with gun over the shoulder would probably work better for the Nova. On another note the lifter locking out of the way DOES make the loads following the initial lifter push/activation become a little bit easier. Every little bit helps define the end result. YMMV

I've experienced the same problem. If you wouldnt mind sharing what you come up with and we'll compare notes.

I won't have time to work on the forearm for a while but I plan on grinding/sanding away as much of the bulge as I can, if that isn't enough I will simply cut the back half of the forearm off and run it with exposed action bars like you see on other pumps. If you get around to working on yours before I get a chance to work mine over, please, let me know what ends up working for you.

• 2 weeks later...

so who is the go to guy to send a 930 to for proper opening for the quad load?

I did mine myself. It was a pretty simple process. Go slow. It is a rewarding process. Mine turned out a little rough but it was a 300 dollar gun. I would go slower with a nicer gun.

Have to agree with the above post...if you go slow and know what you want, you can do a great job. Most of the big shops cut the ports on the mill, and square. It is faster and cheaper for them, but does not result in the best profile.

I did do the loading port opening myself and I do like how it is for loading weak hand. However I noticed that many that send theirs to the shops cut much deeper into the metal where the follower is. I just didn't feel as comfortable getting too close to the shell latch with the limited tools I have. I did cut back the forend as well and that seemed to help but I need more pratice loading 2/4 as I still fumble the shells too much.

• 2 weeks later...

While the FN SLP is a great gun it definitely does not meet your criteria. I have have to really open the load port and trim down the handguard just to get some clearence. I think the Versamax or M2 are definitely better for your intended purpose.

What's the verdict on the rem 870/1100? I really like the ones I have but the more I get into this sport the more I'm seeing that they are the red headed step children. Is it worthwhile to hollow out a Remington or would I be money ahead to just decommission the ole 1100 and sell it for seed money on another shotty? I do alright but feeling the difference from mine to the versa and M2 I'm not sure it's really a competition more like a charity case. I know; practice, practice, practice and I'll get there, but all other things being equal, gun for gun, can the 1100 compete?

The 870 in the Heavy division that requires a pump is fine. Not the best, but sufficient.

The 1100 just has too many problems. Until the Benelli, the 1100 dominated 3G. The carrier release is probably the biggest detriment to TWinS or Quad loading. They can not have the loading port opened as much either. If you are considering shotguns for 3G, it should not really even be in the discussion.

Ya, I figured as much. It's what I've been running this far and my reloads are definitely slower than my competitiors. They do have a lot more experience with 3-gun so that is understandable but still much faster. I have the easy loader gate and they helps but I think if I'm going to continue in the sport and start traveling I will more than likely be upgrading within the next year to a versa or m2 whichever I can get the best deal on. But that'll have to wait for now with all my recent AR stuff purchases I'm a little tapped out. Haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the best shotgun platform for the quad load? Best brand?

After playing with the loading technique with a few different shotguns I have, I'm guessing the best "platform" would have minimal receiver thickness in front of the loading port, and minimal forearm bulge. Anything else?

I also noticed it can be difficult to ensure the shell is pushed past the catch, and that some guys are grinding down that area of the receiver to allow your thumb to go further and guarantee you don't miss the catch. How far is just right?

Thanks!

I run an M2 and have good results with the FSL12. After reading a lot about the Versa Max I bought a 28" synthetic (only model available in the UK).

We have cut it down to 24" and modified it for loading to the point now where its as easy to load as the M2. Either gun will produce fast loads with practice. What I would say is more important than choosing between them is choosing a gunsmith.

To modify either gun takes experience and time and at each stage the gun needs to be tested and things tuned. In the UK the M2 is very popular, so lots of people have had experience of welding and fitting the lifter and there are lots to copy. The VM has been a different experience and without the knowledge of a good gunsmith, it wouldn't be possible for the average shooter. The internals are not the same quality finish as the Benelli and required work.

Now both guns are almost the same to load with the exception that the fore end on the VM is a lot wider. This doesn't affect the loading as long as you put in the practice.

Both guns have had metal removed to allow the thumb to travel further forward. What I have found, through practice, is that when you start to go quite fast, occasionally the second round does not quite click in and the shell jumps back. Two things can happen then. The round either goes above the lifter and out on to the floor or under the lifter. When it goes under, you cant load another round until the gun is fired or racked. Not a problem if its the last round but a pain if its not. The answer is to either slow the slide of the hand or remove more of the body of the gun. I believe its something that should be done gradually and only when you know that it is not your technique that is wrong. How far is just right? depends on you. Take a bit off, practice a few times and then adjust as necessary. Just remember you cant put it back again. You also need to be sure that everything else is correct.

This week with the Versa Max it still wasn't smooth to load. After reading up on the forum we weakened the shell catch. It still wasn't quite right, so some more reading, we decided to polish out the bolt carrier and shell catch. What a difference that made.

So in short the gunsmith is the most important choice not the actual gun. The Benelli M2 and Versa Max can both be made to load fast and there is nothing really between them. The process takes time. Don't expect to buy the gun and a caddy and instantly get a fast load. It takes a bit of effort with the gun and regular practice.

The fastest time I have had live fire on shoot 1 load 8 shoot one is 4.26 seconds. 0.26 reaction to the timer and 4 seconds for a load 8 and one shot. Thats after three months practicing 3 times a week for about 20 minutes each time. That's an average shooter who has been competing for 18 months but only bought his first shotgun a year ago. I used to load traditional weak hand (about 8-9 seconds load 8). If you already use the load 2 systems and are fast, the conversion to load four will take you a few hours.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I'm using Winchester 1300 with short plastic forearm and totally happy with it. No receiver modification was necessary for load-4.

BTW, I'm seeing a mix of autoloading and pump shotguns being discussed. Are they used in the same division in trigun? In IPSC they belong to different divisions, Standard and Standard Manual.

Edited by Llandaff

• 2 weeks later...