Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Down

echase1

I am new to the CZ clan and shoot IDPA and USPSA. I will soon be getting my first CZ Shadow from Matt Mink. I have a quick question...When you go up to the line to shoot the gun with the letting the hammer down on a chambered round, do you let the SO know? How do you guys handle this? I know this CZ will most likely be the first time many of the SOs at my local IDPA club experience this.

Thanks for your input and advice...

I've been shooting my Shadow Custom for about 6 months now. Where I shoot, many are familiar with having to manually lower the hammer on a CZ. Just be safe about it and let your RO know what you are doing. Good luck.

Lowering the hammer isn't "out of the ordinary." It is what is required by the USPSA (and I assume IDPA) rulebook. If they've never seen a DA/SA gun without a decocker, hopefully they will figure out what you are doing and why.

If you think they won't have seen it before, I'd mention it beforehand. I RO'd at nationals this year and must have seen 50-100 people decock manually. None of them said anything. I think it's pretty routine unless there just aren't any cz's around you. I've had one or two RO's notice it, but no one flipped out.

If you think they won't have seen it before, I'd mention it beforehand. I RO'd at nationals this year and must have seen 50-100 people decock manually. None of them said anything. I think it's pretty routine unless there just aren't any cz's around you. I've had one or two RO's notice it, but no one flipped out.

I shot an SP-01 for the year (2006) and went to a bunch of club matches and 2 area matches. I never said anything to the RO and they never said anything other that Make Ready and Are You Ready?

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and say something. But just know, there is NOTHING in the rules that states you need to inform the RO that you are lowering the hammer and therefore putting your finger on the trigger. As Sperman said, it is required per the rules for you to lower the hammer to comply with the rules, so not only are you not doing anything wrong, you are complying with the rules. If an RO has an issue, and makes a stink, what I would do is this: Unload, show clear, holster, then politely inform him of the rule that you are complying with. Then, tell him that you want to be dropped in the order because he has disrupted your Make Ready routine. I don't think this will happen, but you never know. FWIW, I've been shooting for three years with my CZ, I have never told an RO what I was about to do. I've never had an issue, and I've run into a number of RO's at both Level 1 and Level 2 matches that had a severe lacking of knowledge of the rules, yet even they did not have an issue. With that said, you never know.

It's just like a shooter who has to insert a mag to go hammer down before holstering because he has not yet figured out how to disable the mag disconnect feature. An RO has to have a working knowledge of different setups.

There is a lot to be learned from reading these forums as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one CZ guy warn me beforehand. I was surprised when he did, as lowering the hammer is pretty standard fare. Typically ROs are pretty seasoned shooters, and CZs aren't exactly uncommon.

So I would say, if it makes you feel any better, go ahead and warn them. But as others said just know the rulebook is totally on your side, so anyone hassling you about it would be blatantly wrong. :)

I would recommend not saying anything to the RO. I know a shooter who can identify himself if he so chooses, who always says "hammer" right before lowering the hammer. On several occasions I've seen the RO get confused by the comment and engage him in conversation just before his stage run. I prefer to not get distracted by a discussion with the RO before I shoot, so I wouldn't say anything - just drop the hammer and get on with it.

I do not say anything, and usually have no issues.

Buutt... I have had a couple issues with IDPA SO's not knowing the platform, or rules. Some have said I should be shooting ESP since there is no de-cocker and it has a safety. Another thought the safety should be on when hammer is down.

Just something to be aware of until the CZ's gain more popularity and recognition in some area's.