Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Ammo Choice for .308

GregSmith

Hey guys! New to forum. Wondering what ammo you guys like for .308 at 3 gun matches. (Heavy Optics) Not asking for BEST as we would get comments about situations and which one my gun likes best.

But I need a starting point to figure out which one my gun DOES like best. 155gr? 168gr? 178gr? Hornady? Sierra? Nosler? Which and Why? Oh, not sure if it helps, but it's a 20 inch stainless barrel, (Heavy) 1:10 twist.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Edited by GregSmith

I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but you could get a bazillion answers to a question like that. There are so many variables involved. How far do you shoot. What is your budget. Top Brass has good prices on military bullets, but they may not shoot as good, but then again they might. My gun shoots Nosler and Sierra great, so I never even tried Hornady. Nothing against them at all, but I'm doing fine as is. The question is, what does your gun like? For what it's worth, my gun loves 44gr Varget behind a 175SMK, but that means NOTHING for your gun.

With the fast twist, your barrel is likely to prefer the heavier bullets. For a decent round at a good price, try the American Eagle 168g OTM. It's similiar to the Gold Medal 168g, but usually several dollars a box cheaper.

I've used the American Eagle 150g FMJ at quite a few matches.

Hornady makes a steel match load in 308 too, but it's usually more expensive than these two AE loads.

FYI, the Winchester USA 147g is a bi-metal bullet and sticks to a magnet. Check match rules before showing up w/ this ammo.

Are you sure you have a 1:8 twist? That's pretty fast. Most 308's are 1:10 or 1:11. If you are reloading, there are 4 bullets I like. Speer 125gr TNT, Hornady 150gr FMJ, Sierra 155gr Match King (2155), Nosler 168gr Custom Competition. IMR 8208 will push the 125 thru 155gr bullets exceptionally well. I like R15 for the 168s. If you are 1:8, you will most likely be relegated to 168 and heavier, which will be expensive to run.

Are you sure you have a 1:8 twist? That's pretty fast. Most 308's are 1:10 or 1:11. If you are reloading, there are 4 bullets I like. Speer 125gr TNT, Hornady 150gr FMJ, Sierra 155gr Match King (2155), Nosler 168gr Custom Competition. IMR 8208 will push the 125 thru 155gr bullets exceptionally well. I like R15 for the 168s. If you are 1:8, you will most likely be relegated to 168 and heavier, which will be expensive to run.

My bad, thanks for catching that with your knowledge. It's a 1:10 twist. Sorry 'bout that. (Initial post edited to reflect 1:10 twist.)

Edited by GregSmith

I use hornady steel match 155 jhp and out to 500 it'e less than moa.

THIS^^^^ Is what I use too!

But ....but...Mr. Kelley-the experts tell us that steel cased ammo will ruin our rifles......ruin I say! :mellow:

I use it in my M1As and find it quite accurate.

Dave

i am too poor to buy the factory stuff and not good enough shooter to be sponsored, so, i reload. I run SMK 135 gr. over 44.5 grains of IMR 4895 or 45.0 gr. of Varget. both provide 2800 FPS out of my 22 inch JP. less than one MOA.

:D

I use hornady steel match 155 jhp and out to 500 it'e less than moa.

Shoot it in my .308 and it's accurate and inexpensive. No worries about losing brass at matches either. I use the 75grn Steel Match in my .223.

I have used Privi 147gr ball for most stages (it is non magnetic) and Privi 168 hpbt match for long range. I recently bought some Freedom Munitions 155 Amax reman loads to try in my AR10. It really likes these loads, they are reasonably priced also ($0.75/rd).

Hurley

Well if 155gr Hornady Steel Match is good enough for Pat, Scott McGregor, Benny and Rob...It's good enough for me. But where the HECK can you get any? Not IN stores around Portland, Oregon! Is it a matter of getting a box here and a box there? I'm going to stay non-political and blame the shortage on hunting season?!?!? ;)

Also, does that imply that Hornady 155gr A-Max would be top choice for reloading? (If Hornady is your ammo of choice.)

Thank you to everyone that gave input and gives future input! You guys rock!

The projectiles in the steel match ammo are NOT from the amax line. But, if reloading, those woupd certainly be some to try for your accuracy loads. I started shooting 3gun in HM because I had the guns for it. As I got a little more experience (nothing close to Pat and Benny, of course) I started shooting everything with the 125 gr Speers and 135 gr Sierras. Made major around 2600 fps for uspsa and were incredibly flat in my 16" M1A with a Titan comp.

You might consider a lighter, lower priced bullet for most practice, smaller matches, hoser stages, shorter ranges, etc. And, then find the "right" bullet for your gun for the stages beyond 300 yds or so. Just my thoughts; worth no more than what you paid.

As long as you are buying factory ammo, just use whatever you can find that is reasonably priced and runs/shoots well in your blaster. Find a "match" load for the longer stuff. Buy in bulk whether local or online so that you can hopefully acheive some same-lot consistency. Best luck. Enjoy.

Edited by wgj3

I have different results with the Hornady Steel Match in my DPMS .308. Such as it won't go bang. The only other ammo that does this in the DPMS is surplus military MG ammo. Any factory brass case boxer primed ammo works fine. FP hit doesn't appear to be too light. It has JP trigger and disconnect but stock hammer and hammer spring. Seems to be wacking the primer sufficiently.

I have shot Hornady Superformance in the DPMS and it's great. Two deer this year to prove it. But for some reason the Steel Match just won't ignite.

Craig

Hey guys! New to forum. Wondering what ammo you guys like for .308 at 3 gun matches. (Heavy Optics) Not asking for BEST as we would get comments about situations and which one my gun likes best.

But I need a starting point to figure out which one my gun DOES like best. 155gr? 168gr? 178gr? Hornady? Sierra? Nosler? Which and Why? Oh, not sure if it helps, but it's a 20 inch stainless barrel, (Heavy) 1:10 twist.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

I don't shoot heavy metal much but I have every now and again. I use 147 grain Winchester and 150 grain Hornady bullets for reloading depends on which is cheaper at the time. I use H335 powder. I use that load for paper and targets at 100 yards. If I am gonig further I break out the reloads iwth 168 grain AMAX bullets.

pat

I have different results with the Hornady Steel Match in my DPMS .308. Such as it won't go bang. The only other ammo that does this in the DPMS is surplus military MG ammo. Any factory brass case boxer primed ammo works fine. FP hit doesn't appear to be too light. It has JP trigger and disconnect but stock hammer and hammer spring. Seems to be wacking the primer sufficiently.

I have shot Hornady Superformance in the DPMS and it's great. Two deer this year to prove it. But for some reason the Steel Match just won't ignite.

Craig

You are not the only one with this problem. My DPMS will shoot MILSURP but I can't get hornady match to go bang more than about 60%. It has the DPMS factory 2 stage trigger in it. I am hoping that the steel case will go bang in my new bolt gun. If not I will give it to Benny I guess. :ph34r:

Edited by 3gungeezer

I don't shoot heavy metal much but I have every now and again. I use 147 grain Winchester and 150 grain Hornady bullets for reloading depends on which is cheaper at the time. I use H335 powder. I use that load for paper and targets at 100 yards. If I am gonig further I break out the reloads iwth 168 grain AMAX bullets.

pat

Pat,

Check those 147's with a magnet, even the Winchester.

DPMS guns in my experience run with tighter chambers and that does not mix well with steel cased ammo. I have yet to see Steel cases work in a DPMS gun. Perhaps others have had better luck. If you have your chamber reamed a bit it should help.

Pat

How is that going to prevent the round from firing even when it shows a good dent in the primer. All fire the second time through. I do not believe it is a chamber issue. They also do not work 100% in my RRA LAR-8 but are closer to 90% but it has a CMC trigger unit in it which is what I was blaming until I shot some through the DPMS.

I have had the same primer issue with Hornady Steel Match 155's. I could not get them to go off in my Noveske N6, but it is an Armalite pattern gun and I was blaming to firing pin spring that is particular to the Armalite. That was with a full power GI hammer and spring setup. I tried them again last week when I switched to a JP low mass BC and it still won't go on the first hit. The JP is DPMS pattern and does not use a firing pin spring. I suspect hard primers in the batch of ammo that I picked up. I ran them through my M1A and they ran great with superb accuracy. The M1A has a serious hammer in comparison to any AR pattern rifle.

Back to the OP, I ran Hornady 155 OTM factory loads for the entire year. They are pricey, but they are brass case with a staked primer pocket and a 155 OTM boattail bullet with cannellure. They run 2610fps out of my N6 with a 16 inch barrel and hold 1 moa. They are full gas and kick you around a bit, but they are 100% reliable.

I am looking into 110 VMAX loads for next year and maybe the 125 Sierras.

Kuan

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

The same military surplus MG ammo that is about 60% in my DPMS has been 100% in my Remington 700. And surprisingly quite

accurate.

I guess I need to try the Steel Match in the Remington. I may get a pleasant surprise in it also.

My 550 is setup now for .308 so next year, I should be in good shape with some reloads.

Craig