Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire 60/100 round mags?

I got one off the prize table at FB. Took it out of the package and it wouldn't load more than 9 rounds in it. Took it apart and put back together a dozen times same thing. Sent it back to Surefire and about 2 weeks later had brand new one at the door. The new one has worked so far, but I'm hesitant about using it in a match, and I'm really hesitant about using it in a major match. I had no intentions of buying one ever due to the cost vs. a Pmag with NC extention.

I have seen plenty of them used in matches, some with good and some bad results.

Edited by caz41

yeah I think I'd rather sacrifice 12 rounds and have the reliability. maybe if they one day cut the price in half, we'll try these out. There's just no reason to pay so much for unreliable equipment that at best shaves off a couple seconds and at worst causes a minor malfunction

One thing I wanted to mention that I noticed with the 60 mags is that is somewhat dependent on your rifle configuration also. In my Stag 3G that used to own, I ran probably 1000 rounds with it and I had one jam but that was ammo related. In my newer, customized JP/Sundevil rifle, I can't even chamber a round with my 60 mag. I ran a few full mags through one of my M4 style ARs and it ran fine. So, rifle configuration is a factor with these mags also.

I own 2 now and used to have 3. They are a finicky magazine. They work best in my experience with rounds loated to 2.230 or shorter. Longer rounds or heavier bullets often cause problem. Mine have worked generally but I have had issues in 2 matches one where it cost me big time.

Pat

• 5 months later...

Used a 60 for almost a year now with no problems at all if your loads are sized right it will run like a champ. will grab another soon

best thing going for long rifle stages.

the Aredondo base pad pressure fits on and is made for prone shooting.

I got one when a buddy got frustrated trying to run Wolf through it and failed. :surprise: He traded me for a couple of mag pouches. :devil: I have only ran Brass cased 55 FMJ and it has been flawless. Saw a ton of them at CMMG and they seemed to run OK.

Had some reliability problems with my 60 rounder. Took it apart and reassembled. Now it works fine (used mostly with an LWRC SPR). I also did a "dehorn" job on the exterior since it had a bunch of sharp edges. The crappy finish is my only real gripe. Should be a lot nicer considering the price.

Edited by ltdmstr

The other downside is it's hard to know how many rounds are left in the thing after you run a course. Unloading to check and then reloading is a real hassle. Pmags with windows are a better option unless you really need the extra capacity.

I took mine and my daughters out of our shooting bag after this weekends CMMG match. Too many isues with our LR ammo. It was a great idea but I wont waste anymore time on the clock fixing mag relatd jams. Back to Nordics for me....

The Surefire reps at Texas Multigun admitted that there were teething problems over the first two years of the 60 rounders being on the street.

Current production has another weld near the top to prevent spreading of the feedlips or bulging of the magazine portion that inserts into the lower. Also said that they had some internal engineering upgrades to the springs, cams, follower.

The other downside is it's hard to know how many rounds are left in the thing after you run a course. Unloading to check and then reloading is a real hassle. Pmags with windows are a better option unless you really need the extra capacity.

Drill (or better yet dremel) a window into that sucker. I have the Nordic extensions and it is difficult to load 48 rounds without taking off my shoes and have a few friends to keep count. The finger toes thingees...those people just wear those to count easier! I just load until I see brass in the drilled hole and then watch the next few down until they are at capacity. Could do that same with the SFs.

I have 2 that fun flawless, knock on wood. I have exploded and seen guys explode the nordic extensions off going into the barrels. If you are really worried try the 48rd lancer mags they seem to be a little stronger, but the surefires work better being shorter when going prone.

I have a 60 rounder. Got it when they first came out well over a year ago. Probably have 4,000 or so rounds through it. Never had a problem with brass cases ammo but it won't run with steel cased stuff. I'm scared to take it apart so I just blow it out with my air compressor and dump graphite powder in it. It's the perfect height for prone shooting and it has a nice wide foot print for monopod shooting. If you ever need more ammo you should quit shooting.

I have a 60 rounder. Got it when they first came out well over a year ago. Probably have 4,000 or so rounds through it. Never had a problem with brass cases ammo but it won't run with steel cased stuff. I'm scared to take it apart so I just blow it out with my air compressor and dump graphite powder in it. It's the perfect height for prone shooting and it has a nice wide foot print for monopod shooting. If you ever need more ammo you should quit shooting the stage cause something is wrong.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser