Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 or G17

Rohardi

I'll be making the switch from HK to Glock in the next few weeks and I am debating between a gen. 4 G34 and a G17 for a full size pistol. This will be used for classes, home defense, SHTF and maybe some IDPA (I haven't taken the plunge in to competition shooting yet). I know the 34 is a little longer, thus giving it a little longer sight radius, a little lighter trigger, but is there anything else to consider when deciding between the 34 and 17? I will also be going with a G19 and G26.

Go with the 34. Most of the guys I know always end up there anyway. The increase you get in velocity will be nice ans a little easier to make minor. Better recoil control etc etc. That is what I ran before I made the jump over to the XDM and limited.

Edited by buller01

The 17 will be a bit cheaper and if you are not going to primarily compete with it it will be a more practical sized pistol for a home gun or truck gun.

I just bought a 19 last week and it is a great gun for carry and the truck console. Actually, the 19 will most likely do anything the 17 will do as far as defensive issues.

Definitely go with the 34...I guarantee that if you shoot them both, you will go with the 34...better accuracy and less recoil....I had my 34 trigger redone to a 3.5 lb trigger and it is a lot of fun to be that accurate...

I also have a 19 for carry, but I never shoot it, since the 34 is so much fun...

Forget the price difference between the 17 and 34....once you buy ANY gun, you always forget what you paid for it anyway, but when you take it out of your bag, will you be 100% satisfied, or always wonder???

Definitely go with the 34...I guarantee that if you shoot them both, you will go with the 34...better accuracy and less recoil....

I don't get either of those?

Both guns stabilize the bullet and give good accuracy. Less recoil? From what? The weight difference is minimal, and the little extra bit of barrel doesn't make downloading the reloads a big deal.

The grip is the same and we are shooting Minor loads anyway.

There is a bit of extra sight radius. But, in reality...I get good hits from my G26, G17 or G34. The stubby grip of the G26 does give up some dexterity.

The 17 was my first glock for a competition pistol because I didn't fishtail the front sight during my presentation as much as I did the 34.

If you like the way the 34 presents, points and shoots get it. Like someone has already said people end up with the 34 and I agree. But you may also go with a 35...C'mon Santa, I need a new toy!

A factor you might consider is whether you get generation 4 or a generation 3 or earlier models.

I've found that the biggest difference between glock generations is the way they fit in the hand. The generation of glock I have works really well for me and the other generation doesn't.

You might read stories about reliability between generations but I am not going into this EVER. For me discussions on reliability between generations has entered the realm of religion and politics...I avoid all such discussions.

+1 on a professional ($50) trigger job. They're cheap and almost anyone with practice gets it right. At the very least have one of your triggers professionally done to have an example of how it's supposed to be.

Also, I've found that using the very tip of my trigger finger works best. It cures the low and left tendency for right handed glockers.

Welcome to the tupperware tribe,

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Best glock production shooter I've personally shot with shoots a G17, and I get my but kicked by several other G17 shooters. Personally (i'd get both) I like the longer sight radius of the G34 but as Flex says "pick one and practice". Best advice I've heard and applies to all gun choices.

I think the argument of concealing is null in the 17 vs 24, the component that is hard to hide is the pistol grip not the slide if your carrying strong side 10 degree cant at the 2:30-3:00 hip position. It also depends on your body type. I can conceal a glock 34 with Surefire x300 light in my raven concealment holster no problem. But that is when covering it with a jacket or fleece. With a baggy shirt I can hide the same thing but it looks out of place so I carry a 26/ 19 in summer months.

If you are already buyin a 19 and 26 I'd go for the 34. For no good reason other than.... Big, medium, small glock 9mm collection. Seems "balanced". I am just talking nonsense really. Unless you are a classified high level shooter, any of them will deliver! I have come to prefer the gen 3 guns and have found the "generation gap" to be more of an operational concern than the model number!

Shot a friends 19 Gen3 with a grip reduction and loved it! Bought a 34 Gen3 sent it out to have the same grip reduction...It is my favorite gun! But I use that one for limited and have a 34 Gen4 for IDPA SSP. Have to say overall I like the Gen3 better and will probably qualify for ESP with it next year and shoot the 34 Gen 3 for both USPSA and IDPA. For my CCW I carry a 26 Gen4 and shot it in IDPA for months before getting the 34's. I did very well with the 26. I put a lot of practice time in with the "baby glock" and I feel it made me better shooter before moving to the 34's. I am now getting a 19 Gen3 for my CCW but sending it out to have the grip reduction as well. Based on my own experience with these guns and IMHO you are one the right track with the 19 for carry and the 34 for home and competition in the future if you so decide.... good luck with your decisions!

There is the option of running downloaded rounds in a G21, G22 or G35 for competition.

I like the G22 third gen loaded down for production minor. A 175GR lead running abiut 800fps.

I'm running a G21 downloaded with 230gr running around 650 fps. Well above the power floor to make sure the slide gets back. I prefer it to my 9mm which was snappier. .45 ACP also allows me to compete in IDPA CDP division making the G21 an all-round IDPA/USPSA gun. The downside is the capacity where .40's are at the advantage.

Anyway, I think this is something that you don't have to look into at this point. It all comes down to your personal preference and how well you shoot with one over the other. What is good for one person may be terrible for another. You may end up going back to HKs or even go to the 1911 platform.

Be safe and have fun,

DNH

I like the 26 for concealment. I have big hands but this little gun is crazy accurate. It disappears in a good holster too.

I'm not a huge 19 fan -- I shoot my 17 (and 26 for that matter) better and if you're going to carry something larger than the 26, there really isn't that much grip size difference between the 19 and 17.

I use a 17 for USPSA but that is only because I don't have a 34. I plan on picking one up shortly.

I vote for Gen4s. I like the Gen3s (nicer slide finish) but Glock just "got it right" with the 4s. I find the texture to be absolutely perfect and it is fun playing with the different backstraps.

I also vote for the 34......longer site radius, more velocity, slightly lighter trigger out of the box, little more weight up front.....and if you put a tac light on it, it won't get as dirty :-)

I have a 26 for carry, and a 17L for everything else....I have a soft spot for the long slide

Just my 2 cents,

-Rob