Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr reloading for G17/34

gregshin

I like the lighter bullets. Seems everybody else at the local club is running titegroup and 147's though. Maybe I just shot to much factory stuff with the 115's but I like the quick impulse in the polymer guns. A buddy is running heavy 40 cal bullets at barely 130PF with titegroup and it is kind of sluggish compared to what I like.

In the past, I've used 3.7 of WSF behind a 147 Precision Delta FMJ. It is a smooth "push" type of recoil, but always felt a little sluggish to me (I shoot 40 at work).

I switched to a 124 Montana Gold at 1010 FPS and LOVE IT. The gun just feels faster. It may not be, but it sure feels so....

I'm not quite sure, but on close steel it seemed like the 147's weren't as accurate as 115's out of one of my G34s.

This past weekend I shot Production at Area 2. I used ~3.3 grains Titegroup with PD 147's and I chronoed 140 PF. I was running a 13lb ISMI recoil spring and the slide wouldn't lock back with my 10 round magazines.

Given it is already at 140 PF I don't want to bump up the powder charge so it locks back. I'm probably going to switch to 124's for my G34's.

IMO my G34's aren't good with 147's.

My g34/me seemed to like 124s more. The 147 seemed to move gun more and I got back in target faster with 124s. But I prefer a fast recoil as opposed to a slow push. Maybe a different powder would be better.

147s were 100% reliable

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Running 147 Xtreme plated RN, 3.5 N320, CCI @ 1.145". Really liked 124's as well but settled on the 147 after running several mags back to back and alternating rounds in mags at range. Using this load for USPSA and IDPA. So far so good....

I shot ATL Arms 147 for years in my Gen3 G34. Lightened up my recoil spring and safety plunger spring. Left the factory striker spring in. SA trigger pul was about 4#. Recoil was soft very little muzzle rise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been using berrys 124, 147 and extreme 147. I just recently started reloading and wondered the same thing. I have loaded several different batches of all three bullets with N320 and tite group. What I found is that they are all more than accurate enough for idpa. I shoot a glock 34 and a 19. With both guns and all the different powder and bullet combinations I can get less than 3 inch groups at 25 yards from a rest. I do prefer the feel of the 147's but can't say my times are that much better than when I use the 124's.

My G34 runs fine with the 147g lighter power factor (IDPA) loads w/ Tite Group. I shot about 1k rounds of 147g and about the same # of 124g during a couple of months time frame I decided I preferred the 124g-- the pistol didn't care.

• 4 weeks later...