Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun ready rifles

Iggy42

So I have read here that the DPMS 3G1 is pretty good for the money same with the Stag 3G, but what about the Colt CRE18 and Colt CRP18?

Also of them all what do they need if anything or do they run out of the box?

I saw that most say a new muzzle break for the Stag but I have heard nothing on the DPMS or Colts.

Keep in mind that I have never owned an AR

I am attracted to the Stag and Colt models but I need something that I can just put an optic on and be good to go

That's just what I did with the DPMS 3g1. The comp is an old design but works. I put a scope on it and have been happy. I think I'm done fiddling and I have less than $1200 in it with the cheap but effective optic and mount included. :)

My 2 cents worth; Buy the Stag 3 G. It is by far the best of all rifles that you mentioned. For the price you cannot do any better. If you wanted to spend over a thousand more I would suggest that you look at the Seekins. And yes, you will have to replace the muzzle brake on the Stag 3 G. The "Super" muzzle brake that the Stag 3 G rifle brings is anything but super. You can use it as a paper weight. There are many brakes available that will do justice for such an excellent rifle. My choice would be the Pri-Quiet. It is light in weight, quiet and effective. Wish you the best of luck. Shooting ar's is addictive.

I think they're all good to go. I've played with the DMPS and the Stag 3g rifles and I think they're pretty awesome. I like the look of the Colt the best personally but looks don't do anything for performance. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Loki also has a new 3gun model.

I have never heard of Loki, do they make good stuff?

Sorry very new to ARs and I really want something good and sadly I really have no idea who is good and who isn't.

I have owned the Stag 3G and it's an awesome rifle. I do agree about the comp, you really need to change it. I tried "hard" to like it but never could. It is a little nose heavy also. I did get to handle a CRP and that thing is sweet but it's also about $400+ more dollars also. If I went with another "3Gun ready rifle" out of the box, my vote would probably go to the CRP.

JP are some of the best but again, you are talking another premium. Your best bet is to set a budget you want to put into it, including the scope/mount/accessories, then decide on the right one for you. All of them will do fine but your confidence in your rifle goes a long way on and off the range...

I have owned the Stag 3G and it's an awesome rifle. I do agree about the comp, you really need to change it. I tried "hard" to like it but never could. It is a little nose heavy also. I did get to handle a CRP and that thing is sweet but it's also about $400+ more dollars also. If I went with another "3Gun ready rifle" out of the box, my vote would probably go to the CRP.

JP are some of the best but again, you are talking another premium. Your best bet is to set a budget you want to put into it, including the scope/mount/accessories, then decide on the right one for you. All of them will do fine but your confidence in your rifle goes a long way on and off the range...

Yeah that is the problem I have with my Limited pistol. I bought what my budget could handle, but I lack the confidence in it. Not that its a bad gun and it works wonderfully I am just not a fan of striker pistols and would be much happier with a 2011. I am really trying to avoid being in the same boat, at the same time getting something that I can afford and not have to wait months to get. Granted in light of recent events I may have too no matter what, but I hope that won't be the case.

Now I am seeing people backing the Stag and the Colts, but nothing about the DPMS. I read here that you get a lot for the money, but the lack of response gives me the feeling that there is a reason that no one is saying anything.

Yeah that is the problem I have with my Limited pistol. I bought what my budget could handle, but I lack the confidence in it. Not that its a bad gun and it works wonderfully I am just not a fan of striker pistols and would be much happier with a 2011. I am really trying to avoid being in the same boat, at the same time getting something that I can afford and not have to wait months to get. Granted in light of recent events I may have too no matter what, but I hope that won't be the case.

Now I am seeing people backing the Stag and the Colts, but nothing about the DPMS. I read here that you get a lot for the money, but the lack of response gives me the feeling that there is a reason that no one is saying anything.

Comparing a 2011 pistol to a striker fired pistol is not a good comparison for which rifle to choose from. All of the above listed rifles will have identical ergonomics. Your factors to consider are accuracy and add ons. All the above listed companies support this sport considerably and are all quality guns. They should all shoot MOA easily and with exception of the comp on the Stag or ready out of the box. Figure out which one fits your budget and go with it, after a full year of shooting it you can figure out if its all that you need. If not you can trade up, I don't recall there being a quality 3 gun rifle sitting unsold in the classifieds for very long.

Jp is out of my price range

While I have heard of Doublestar, I have not heard anything about quality of their rifles.

I have to admit I am liking that Loki rifle, I guess I will have to add it to the mix with the Stag and Colt.

Okay I am not big into 3 gun yet but I do have a dpms 3G1. Overall it's a solid rifle. The fit wasn't as nice as I've seen on the other offerings. The JP trigger and hanguards are nice and it's a 3/4 moa gun for me. But after using my dads custom build ar I felt the dpms wasn't as ideal as I first thought. Since then I have turned and fluted the barrel and added a seekins handguard it balances much better now. If cost is the only concern I'd go dpms if not the colt or Loki would be my top choice.

Wes at MSTN makes some great AR's. He has ones that he produces and you can buy or if you have specific needs he will build per request. He makes a JLZ upper with a 17" Noveske barrell that is 1:8 twist for a 3 gun guy that he builds for.

Have you considered purchasing a complete lower and upper set up the way you want it? You can certainly put together a quality rifle that way also.

I have, but I have no idea what to get and what to avoid so I planned on getting a complete rifle to learn on while I worked toward a nice build just how I want it since it will take me quite a while to save that kind of cash.

I got a Colt CRP Pro in October and this past weekend I shot my first two matches with it. The Colt Pro ran completely flawless. I shot a 3G match on Saturday, and shot about 120 rounds of PMC. Today I shot a tactical rifle match and shot about 250 rounds of Wolf. I did not have any issues even with no cleaning in between. The Colt is Totally worth the money.

I have the DPMS 3G1 and after a little bit of a rough start it's been a great rifle. I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy of the barrel and love the JP hand guard. Many like the JP trigger but I'm one of those two stage trigger guys. It is a bit nose heavy but between the extra weight and the JP trigger it does not move off target. You can lay waste to the targets as fast as you can pull the trigger and the dot doesn't budge.

But...I recently played with the Colt and I'm debating on switching. I like the Colt's trigger better and it's lighter up front which is better for us little guys. Plus who doesn't want a new rifle?

:)

At the end of the day, these are all great 3 Gun rifles and you're going to love which ever one you get.