Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2013

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any hints as to when stages designs will be posted?

OK This is the first time I'm shooting the match, and I may be having a "bucket of prop wash" moment here, but doesn't the "Mystery" part of Mystery 3-Gun mean that they won't be posted?

The "mystery" part comes in the form of riddles to be solved for prizes. There can also be prizes hidden around stages. Last year there was a $50 bill hidden in plain view on one stage that went unnoticed if I recall correctly. Last year a squad mate solved an answer and got a nice Voodoo Tactical 3 gun bag.

The "mystery" part comes in the form of riddles to be solved for prizes. There can also be prizes hidden around stages. Last year there was a $50 bill hidden in plain view on one stage that went unnoticed if I recall correctly. Last year a squad mate solved an answer and got a nice Voodoo Tactical 3 gun bag.

Well that sounds cool. Never heard of that in a match before.

So I guess the original question stands ....Any hints as to when stages designs will be posted?

You will get a match booklet at sign in which will have the stages. If you get there early enough, you can walk the stages. This is my 4th year for this match and it is the best one of the year!

Edited by Doug S

So I guess the original question stands ....Any hints as to when stages designs will be posted?

I've shot the match for the past 9 years and they have never posted stages. Get there on Thursday, get your match booklet, watch the RO's shoot and look them over.

Anyone confirm if buckshot is needed this year?

Also what is the SG ammo status in the area?

As currently envisioned, the match will comprise 11 stages requiring a minimum of 158 rounds of rifle ammunition, 126 rounds of pistol ammunition, and 101 rounds of shotgun ammunition (87 birdshot, 14 buckshot). This is always subject to change, but probably not much at this stage. Buckshot means 00-buck only for 12ga only, or #3-buck only for 20ga only. No slugs this year.

Local ammo availability, including shotshells, is currently very sporadic. That may or may not change in the ~6 weeks between now and the match. There is a BassPro, a Sportsman's Warehouse and numerous WalMarts between the airport and the range, plus a Cabelas in Glendale (the opposite direction - maybe an hour from the range outside rush hour).

How are the round counts determined? 1 round per paper or two?

No slings needed?

Correct - no slings needed.

How are the round counts determined? 1 round per paper or two?

We assume you will shoot 2 on each paper, 1 on each steel. This year we have a couple of stages that give the shooter the option to use more than one gun type (e.g. shoot all shotgun, all pistol or any combination of the two); in such cases we "double dip" on the round count, allowing sufficient ammo to shoot the stage twice over (once with each gun, if that makes sense).

2 Questions for the veterans of this match? What time is everything usually done on Sunday? And, how far is it/ how long does it take to get from the range to the airport.

Working on buying my flights for this match. Thanks

2 Questions for the veterans of this match? What time is everything usually done on Sunday? And, how far is it/ how long does it take to get from the range to the airport.

If you want to walk the prize table, don't plan on leaving the range until 5 at the earliest. If you want to leave after your final shot, you should be able to leave the range by noon.

If you want to walk the prize table, don't plan on leaving the range until 5 at the earliest. If you want to leave after your final shot, you should be able to leave the range by noon.

Now Mark thats just plain -Meen- , but honest

on a good day you can get to Air port in less that 30 minutes, driving back after dropping off a friend can take 2 hrs

Edited by AlamoShooter

This panic-buying thing sucks. I was planning on traveling light ammo-wise and picking up most of what I would need in AZ. Now I'm gonna ship everything, because I'm scared I won't be able to find it when I get there. :angry2:

I do that all the time. Send it to yourself at the hotel you will be staying at. Send it 7 days before. Days Inn East in Mesa is good. The match hotel is good.

Anybody know what the match hotel is this year?

Dan tells me we don't have an official match hotel this year. Instead, we have several hotels and motels in the area that will give our shooters reduced rates IF they mention the SMM3G match.

Arizona Golf Resort, 425 S. Power Rd., Mesa, AZ 85208. $139/night. (480) 832-3202.

Best Western Superstition Springs Inn, 1342 S. Power Rd., Mesa, AZ 85206. $125/night. (480) 641-1164

Colonial Suites, 5440 E. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85205. 1 bedroom (2 beds) $49-$59/night; 2 bedrooms (4 beds) $89/night. (480) 981-8888.

Days Inn, 5531 E. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85205. $99/night. (480) 981-8111.

Miles Motel & Apartments, 5911 E. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85205. 1 bedroom (2 beds) $49-$59/night, 2 bedrooms (4 beds) $89/night. (480) 985-2790.

Travelodge Suites, 4244 E. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85205. $79-$89/night. (480) 832-5961.

Windemere Hotel, 5700 E. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85205. $??? (480) 985-3600.

HTH

NEW SIDE MATCH

SMM3G is pleased to announce a special new side match event, the Colt Competition Dutchman's Team Challenge sponsored by Colt Competition, Leupold and Black Hills Ammunition. This event will be run after the main match is finished on Sunday during the stats entry/protest period, and will be completely separate from the main match.

The event is open to registered SMM3G competitors only. The entry fee is $30 cash per shooter. Shooters may sign up anytime during the match until the event is full. A maximum of 75 shooters will be accepted, and each shooter may participate only once.

The event will be a team format. Each of the 3-shooter teams will be formed by random draw (sorry, no team requests). The random draw should ensure there are no "superteams". Even the least experienced shooter will have the chance of being teamed up with a champion and potentially winning the event.

The event will be shot with the provided Colt Competition rifle, Leupold optic and Black Hills ammo only.

Each team's score will be the total time to complete the course of fire after all penalties are added; standard SMM3G penalties will apply. The team with the shortest total time + penalties wins.

Prizes are as follows:

- 1st place = Each team member will receive a Free & Guaranteed Match Entry certificate for the 2014 SMM3G match (~$300 value)

- 2nd place = Each team member will receive a Guaranteed Match Slot certificate for the 2014 SMM3G match + $100 cash

- 3rd place = Each team member will receive a Guaranteed Match Slot certificate for the 2014 SMM3G match + $50 cash

- All prize certificates are fully transferable

Any questions - post 'em here :)

Edited by StealthyBlagga