Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2013

Maybe for next year consider doing applications online? It doesnt have to be the "mad rush first to click gets in" FB3G type deal, its perfectly doable to write an app that can take applications and do a drawing after the first day and then let people know the very next day whether they made it in or not.

It would also save the registration team the work of entering all competitors information manually.

Heck, if you let me in I'll do it for you! ;)

If you still insist on using the old manual way, at the very least figure it all out first and then contact everyone at the same time, whether they made it in or not.

Edited by gose

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a brief response from the registration coordinator. Confirmations have already gone out to everyone who is definitely in the match. We have not yet sent any emails to the folks on the waiting list (though I have asked that we do so ASAP), so don't panic if you have not heard from us. We expect to promote another batch of competitors from the waiting list over the weekend, and those folks will know as soon as we do.

Here is an update from the Match Director:

The registration coordinator has already notified the people who are in the match with only a few exceptions, and those few will be notified Saturday or Sunday (December 8th/9th). The 60+ people on the waiting list will be notified next week and have the option of remaining on the waiting list or getting their match fees refunded.

If you sent in an application and don't hear anything back by the end of next week (Saturday December 15th), I'd suggest you send us an email to check if we received your entry.

I'm guessing its pretty much impossible to get on the wait list at this point?

You can always get on the waitlist, but I'm guessing that your chances of actually getting into the match are slim to none at this point. Though, with the large number of matches on the calendar this year, a lot of those that ended up on the waitlist might just move on to another match.

It will only cost you a stamp to try, so no big deal, but I wouldnt count on getting in...

Edited by gose

• 3 weeks later...

Are golfcarts or quads allowed at this match ?

Yes, but you will need to observe competitor parking restrictions the same as a regular vehicle.

So, i suppose the next question would be, would it be of any advantage, or make life easier?

Since you have to treat the cart/quad the same as a regular car I would say "no".

There's four main parking lots. The distance from a given parking lot to a stage varies from 10-50 yards. The hoofing between stages isn't bad. When it comes time to shoot in another area just put all your stuff in the car and drive it to the next section's parking area.

A point of clarification from the Prize Coordinator:

The match is indeed full for regular competitors. HOWEVER, as always, we hold back a quantity of match slots for SPONSORED competitors; these slots are allocated to certain categories of match sponsor to use at their discretion. Sponsored competitors must confirm with their sponsors that they will be representing them at the 2013 match, and they must complete and return their Sponsored Shooter Application to prizecoordinator@smm3gun BEFORE February 15, 2013. On February 16, 2013, any unclaimed sponsored competitor slots will be opened up to people on the waiting list.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 4 weeks later...

There is usually a rilfe array (last year LaRues) between 300 and 350, engaged twice on a stage. Last year they had one target at somthing 300ish on another stage, one shot. Then some arrays in the 100 to 200ish range. Maybe 15-20 shots past 100 with rifle. Most of the rest of rifle is 5 yards to 50 yards on paper. Know your offsets for clays with rifle from 5 to 25 yards cause you will need that too.

Shotgun slugs are from 30ish to 70ish, maybe up to a dozen rounds.

You did not ask, but they have had a buckshot stage the past two years also, so knowing patterns from 5 to 25 yards is a good idea. 00buck was required.

Anyone confirm if buckshot is needed this year?

Also what is the SG ammo status in the area?

As currently envisioned, the match will comprise 11 stages requiring a minimum of 158 rounds of rifle ammunition, 126 rounds of pistol ammunition, and 101 rounds of shotgun ammunition (87 birdshot, 14 buckshot). This is always subject to change, but probably not much at this stage. Buckshot means 00-buck only for 12ga only, or #3-buck only for 20ga only. No slugs this year.

Local ammo availability, including shotshells, is currently very sporadic. That may or may not change in the ~6 weeks between now and the match. There is a BassPro, a Sportsman's Warehouse and numerous WalMarts between the airport and the range, plus a Cabelas in Glendale (the opposite direction - maybe an hour from the range outside rush hour).