Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wondering something about you guys

ChrisG164

I shoot local competitions in a basically slightly modified gun style.

My curiosity is how do you shoot USPSA/IDPA/IPSC and justify spending all day setting up, taping targets, sitting around...for a whole 4 minutes of shooting?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My curiosity is how do you shoot USPSA/IDPA/IPSC and justify spending all day setting up, taping targets, sitting around...for a whole 4 minutes of shooting?

Its a day spent with friends having fun. I don't see it as wasting a day.

How much time do golfers spend actually swinging the club in 18 holes??

How much time do skeet/trap/sporting clay shooters actually spend shooting versus waiting on the rest of the squad to shoot and riding between stations??

Swimmers will sit at a meet all day for a few minutes worth of laps in a pool...

I've spent almost an entire day hiking through the woods, hungry and thirsty, for only several minutes on an amazing rock climbing route.

I've even sat at RC airplane competitions all day, for only a few minutes worth of flight time.

My point is (and all the examples were from personal experience) that most sports in which individuals compete require a lot of "waiting" time. You sit and think and plan for your 15 seconds of fame, and when your name is called, you give the best performance you can.

I guess at the root of it, we enjoy the thrill of flying through a stage, the lingering adrenaline afterwards, the competition, and the comrodary.

You remember how Econ 101 was all about what the rational person would do?

You're about two minutes over your estimate.

How much time do golfers spend actually swinging the club in 18 holes??

How much time do skeet/trap/sporting clay shooters actually spend shooting versus waiting on the rest of the squad to shoot and riding between stations??

Swimmers will sit at a meet all day for a few minutes worth of laps in a pool...

I've spent almost an entire day hiking through the woods, hungry and thirsty, for only several minutes on an amazing rock climbing route.

I've even sat at RC airplane competitions all day, for only a few minutes worth of flight time.

My point is (and all the examples were from personal experience) that most sports in which individuals compete require a lot of "waiting" time. You sit and think and plan for your 15 seconds of fame, and when your name is called, you give the best performance you can.

I guess at the root of it, we enjoy the thrill of flying through a stage, the lingering adrenaline afterwards, the competition, and the comrodary.

skeet/trap/sporting clay shooting I've done and got a lot more action than USPSA competitors do. Swimming I would never be into... RC Planes are not my thing and if in fact the action time was equivalent to USPSA I don't know I'd compete. I'd rather just go fly for fun with a friend or two, which you can't do at a setup stage for USPSA. Hiking is hiking no matter whether you're climbing a rock or hiking through the woods to get there.

Look, I'm not trying to make an argument for each point you make. I was just curious how you guys could shine some light on what seems to be a lot of waiting for a little amount of shooting, you know what I mean?

I view local matches and even bigger ones... as not just about shooting.

It is part shooting, part watching others shoot (sporting event), part camaraderie and meeting up with friends (hanging out and or networking)

So it is 5 hours of an event.... not just 2 mins of shooting.

I'm a D class shooter, so I'm not in it to win it. I do however, enjoy watching those who are at the top of the game compete. I'm a shooter and this is my primary sport right now. It's no different than me going to the Players Championship every year to watch Tiger Woods and the other top players in the world compete. I could ask why anyone would spend hours watching a tennis tournament. When I see a GM flying through a COF, it's thrilling to me, and then after his stage I get to participate in the commentary, and perhaps glean a few pointers from the guy. Not many prima-donnas in this sport. I love to shoot, hang out with other like-minded individuals, and yes, it's also a great training exercise for defense. If it bugs you, maybe you should just do something else. The guy at the match who's constantly complaining about the pace of the event typically annoys everyone else.

stop using matches every month or every weekend as practice.

Shoot just one all classifier match, ever, just enough to get classified, then practice on your own either through dry fire or actual live fire practice at a range. Then just sign up for a few majors per year.

I think Ben said it took him just 5,000 rounds to make GM.

I was just curious how you guys could shine some light on what seems to be a lot of waiting for a little amount of shooting, you know what I mean?

Because we like it? :cheers:

I'd rather do this 4 minutes of shooting over a 6 hr time span, than shoot for 1 hr straight, in a box range, by myself and head home to have the wife *itch at me to do whatever it is she thinks needs done. :surprise:

That's a reasonable question, and I sorta thought the same thing when I first started shooting competitively last year. But think of when you practice by yourself? i don't get to set up nearly the same kind of cool targets, and it still takes me a couple hrs to burn through 150-200 rds (including set-up, tear down, taping, reloading magazines, etc...), and I don't get the benefit of watching other more experienced shooters and learning from them, and I don't get the kind of focus and intensity that only comes from competition, and I just don't have quite as much fun.

I will say that I'm starting to prefer the uspsa competitions in my area because they typically get through 5-6 stages in 5 hours or less (including all setup and teardown. Our monthly practice matches use alot of steel to minimize reset time, and we'll often run the same 15-20 shot stage 2 or 3 times each. That helps get more shooting and more practice and refinement.

But hey, everyone's different. Some guys spend days or weeks wooing a woman and don't even get lucky! At least I KNOW I'm going to get to shoot the match if I follow a few basic rules. :roflol:

I traveled round trip to Vegas, 3400 miles, worked 3 days as an RO, spent 10 days away from home, shacked up with a FWG (fat white guy) and shot for less than 5 minutes. And didn't do that very well.

And had a ball

Look at the time and preparation to run a top fuel dragster.... for a 4 second run. I bet that's a great 4 seconds!

Yeah... But have you seen the amount of marketing plastered on the side of dragster and its trailer? Even the army has its own drag racing team:

Army.jpg

Its easy when you compare it to hunting big game or upland birds... I typically measure it in miles walked (or feet in elevation gained) per shot fired. And it's NOT a high shoot factor.

Maybe it is one of those "if we have to explain it, you just wouldn't understand" items.

Maybe it is one of those "if we have to explain it, you just wouldn't understand" items.

I actually agree. Since I haven't actually been to a USPSA mandated match then you're probably right!