Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 1911's...Are they worth it?

Mtbkr31

All,

I'm currently in the market for a 1911. Looked at several from off the shelf brands from Sig, STI, Springfield, Kimber, etc. Just wondering how much difference a custom from the likes of Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Predator Tactical, Les Baer, etc would be?

They are much more expensive, however I believe in the adage pay and cry once rather than pay and cry many times over. Currently looking at a Sig sauer Max or a Predator Tactical Night Shrike. Thanks.

Is my $3000 Millennium Custom worth it? It is to me, it is a work of art and is perfectly fitted to what I want.

Would my Custom SS be worth $3000 to you, maybe not.

It is a very subjective thing.

Only you can answer that question

Edited by zhunter

A Baer is probably the best bang for your buck as far as semi custom guns go. The problem, as it relates to this game, I that they are so freaking tight. I have seen many of them lock up and jam until they have a few thousand rounds through them. My custom open gun was also very tight, by it has never missed a lick.

My advice..go with a builder who specializes in guns for what we do. They know how to make them tight in all the right places and still be very reliable.

Bottom line, yes, they are worth it. Is a sig/Kimber/s&w worth it? - nope.

Value is an inherently subjective concept.

Considering what is out there on the market for $600-1200, $2500+ for a custom 1911 is not a good value, to me.

I would love to have one, but not enough to justify the cost, which far exceeds the marginal increase in value, for me.

If I already had a few spare guns in my bag already, and I wanted one that had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't, then I probably would consider spending the money and buying one.

But if you have to ask this question, your preferences would probably be more complete, that is, you'd have a better idea of what you want if you bought a production gun and shot it for a while.

That's not to say that I wouldn't really desire spec'ing out a gun exactly as I want, I just think, at this point in my life, it's not worth the price premium.

What is "it?"

I bought my LB PMII with barrel and bushing fitted by Bruce Gray (I have to work order and receipt) for $1200 used in like new condition. Definitely worth it to me. I got the original barrel and bushing also and put those into my backup SS gun.

So whether a gun is worth "it" depends on what "it" is. When you find the right deal with the right "it" for you, you will know it. If you have to ask, then you have not found the right deal for you.

Nice to own, not necessary. I have 2 Springfields for game guns, mildly spruced up by me, and they do the job fine (reliable fxn, accurate hits, look good).

I'm not looking or in need for additional 1911s, but if I were, Baer would get consideration and so would Dave Erickson of Condition 1 pistolsmithing.

i allready had 2 les baers [custom PII made in 1994 and a C7] before i started in the shooting sports,and had just got the new released Kimber Eclipes 2 tone and was about to just shoot it,when a gun shop owed me some money and Davidson's had the LB PII on sale for $1095.00, so i shot the Baer for 2 yrs [about 22000rnds]all stock,then added a magwell,different grips, trigger set to 2.5 lbs,shot it another 45000 rounds,sent it back and had FO front sight,hardchromed slide,magwell blended,under trigger guard checkered,shot it another 18500,then loaned[gave] it to my shot to shoot USPSA SS..the gun gave me great service for 10 years and including the base cost of the gun and upgrades i feel like i got a bargin..

added a SS PII 9mm a few yeasr ago,and Got an Ultimate Master last yr and just waiting to get time to break it in..

Had 11 other 1911's and have thinned the herd down to 1 colt and 5 Baers..

I don't use my Baer for competition to much. Some just to knock the dust off. For limited competition I use my Cameron's 6in light and never ever leaves me hanging. Pay one time, cry one time!, I like the 10000 round thought, you get what you pay for. :cheers:

The best way to answer that question for you is to go fondle and shoot a someone's full custom if you can. When I first started shooting the differences would have been wasted on me. Years later when I actually learned how to shoot I started to feel and see the differences between my production line guns and guns that are well fitted and balanced. The more I shot I started to see those small differences between my Kimbers, SAs, and my LB. Now my full custom is the one I keep reaching for. Dads Wilson feels like its got bearings compared to the rest of my 1911s.

If you can't tell the differences after shooting some customs then the answer is easy.

Those that you listed are known as semi-customs. 1911's are VERY subjective because there are a vast amount of different parts available and a lot of different manufactures. To me, I shoot an STI Spartan for USPSA, but I also have a custom Harrison EMP. It all depends what you want out of the 1911, and if YOU think it's worth it.

That said, custom 1911's are the best you can get, and believe me, it WILL cost you. $3k+ is on the low end of custom builds, and they can easily climb to $8k+. Also note that with a custom build, you're going to wait a long time if you go with one of the top tier smiths, there are however, smaller "lesser known" smiths that do FANTASTIC work but don't have the same wait periods. Jeremy Reid, Alchemy, Business End Customs just to name a few.

The first thing you need to do is determine a budget. After that, you have to look at what you can get within that budget, and start looking at the options. If you're going with a production or semi-custom, make sure the gun either has the options you want, or make sure you can get the options you want. The best part about a true custom 1911 is that YOU get to choose literally everything, and the options are nearly endless. In addition, you get the best fit possible for the parts, and correct adjustments. These will yield a long-life, better fit, finish, and accuracy out of the firearm. Don't think the "lower end" 1911's aren't going to be built correctly, because they will be, but there is no substitution for a professionally built 1911.

You can read this buyers guide, there is a ton of great information.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts...

If you're new to the 1911, or just haven't had a lot of experience with them, I would highly recommend getting a cheaper one first. Then, once you figure out exactly how you like them, then go the custom route.

Edited by polizei1

As others have said it's all relative. Me I'm not a big 1911 guy I'm a polymer frame fan. I've got a Spartan that cost $610 out the door, and it's fine for what I want. Some folks want a 6k show piece that is more of a status thing that a tool. Some folks want a 3k custom that is both flashy and worked like a mule.

Get a basement model run a few thousand rounds through it and then decide if you are ready to drop serious coin on one.

I have a custom built by Tripp. Great gun. I have an SV being built by Kodiak Precision.

I could afford the guns when they were being built, so money is not an issue.

Are they different than a high quality semi-custom--they are to me. Worth every penny spent. It is a truly personal preference issue.

If you have to ask, it isn't worth it. There are so many options on a 1911 that until you have a good handle on what you want, it's going to be hard to justify the cost of a semi-custom or custom gun. But once you've run a 1911 long enough to develop some preferences, the price of a full custom build seems cheap!

FWIW, I've run stock 1911s, tweaked stock guns, semi-custom, and full custom builds. Far and away my favorite guns were full custom builds by a gunsmith who thinks the way I do and stock guns reworked by a good smith. Semi-custom guns are nice, but they'll never match a gun you ordered to spec or built to your preferences.

Best bet is to buy a used race gun that's already been tweaked, shoot it for a year or so to figure out what you like about it, then build one that suits you exactly.

BB

get the best you can afford or are willing to part with. I found the difference in quality comes out at 10,000 rounds. You truly get what you pay for.

Yep, this is why I'll pay the money for a custom. I want everything to be fitted correctly so that it will last. So that after 50K round the slide is still tight, the barrel locks up solidly, no odd or unusual wear.

I had a used Wilson, which I bought for $2K, and felt it wasn't worth it. I paid ~$3K for a Benny Hill, w. the same number of magazines, etc, and thought it was a great purchase.

Overall, ammo costs more than the guns, and a gun that you are content with, is worth what you pay.

If they didn't cut my hand, I probably would have stayed w. Glocks, and been as happy.

The full custom gun I got early this year was worth every penny. I picked every part in that gun, so that it became exactly what I wanted. Serrations, checkering, and how much trigger undercut, everything.

However, almost all I shoot is SS, and spent over a year shooting a semi custom figuring out how I wanted a gun set up. If you can stand the wait and have been fertilizing your money tree, go full custom and you won't be sorry. If you just want to dabble in SS, a production or semi custom should easily get you by.

Simple.... factory, you get it their way or custom, built your way.

And Benny just summed it all up

Here is some more long winded advice, but an inexpensive factory gun, shoot the heck out of it while you wait for your custom gun to be built, and then sell your factory gun for a few dollars less than you bought.

1911's are like a commodity, you get your money back out of them when you sell them