Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun holster for M&P 5"

grouse

Any suggestions on a holster for a 5" m&p that wont break the bank. I'm currently using a cheap owb made in israel. All my IWB carry holsters for my compact are comptac, but I'm kind of pissed at them right now, so looking for something differnt.

safariland holster with the ALS. This holster is very easy to learn as the release is very natural with a leave by your thumb you hit when drawing. I borrowed one for the rockcastle 3 gun and had the draw down in a couple min max. It is about the same draw speed as regular Kydex in that you do not have to crank up the retention to make sure the gun stays put. The gun is NOT coming out until you want it to.

safariland holster with the ALS. This holster is very easy to learn as the release is very natural with a leave by your thumb you hit when drawing. I borrowed one for the rockcastle 3 gun and had the draw down in a couple min max. It is about the same draw speed as regular Kydex in that you do not have to crank up the retention to make sure the gun stays put. The gun is NOT coming out until you want it to.

I've got this holster too. The 5" sticks out the bottom, but not a big deal. I also use the duty belt hanger so the gun sits about an inch lower to assist the draw with the longer gun.

I am using a Comp-Tec. No problems. Comp-Tec has a listing for 9L & M&P Pro 5 Inch. Not sure what the difference might be, but it must be something as there is a part number for each one listed. Hmmmm......

Edited by mjohn

Check out the Blade-Tech WRS. The retention hood is spring deactivated and gets out of the way in a hurry. Much easier to deactivate IMHO.

http://www.blade-tech.com/RH-WRS-DUTY-HOLSTER-DOH-TEK-LOK-pr-1056.html

Also the Hogue holster looks pretty good too

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

No way dude. I've got one a WRS and an ALS and the ALS is a waaay better system. The WRS is a good holster, but it's more difficult to learn and some folks are tweaking the release with some extra hardware to make it work better. The ALS just flat out works. The Serpa is not highly regarded, both for the reliability and robustness of its mechanism, and for the trigger finger release motion.

The plain Blade-Techs are great holsters, Safariland ALS is a good choice, and I've also got a Triple Crown. All good stuff.

I compete with a M&P 9mm Pro 5". As a stop-gap back in the spring of this year, I bought a 5.11 ThumbDrive holster. So far, it has been 100% reliable, easy to use, and has steadfast retention. I'm guessing I'll replace it with something else as I get more experienced, but for now, I think it is an excellent choice.

Finally, my M&P 40 compact and M&P 45 full-size also fit in the same holster. If I ever do Heavy Metal or need to sub in a different pistol at the last moment, I'm all set.

Why the security? Props, positions and other guns, slings at some matches. All can end you 250 dollar match in an instant. A guy bumped his handgun out of the holster while moving from 1 box to another shooting rifle. Match over.

Oh and the Safariland has a much more stable attatchment platform in my opinion. Shooting a Blade Tech Doh for USPSA and Safariland for 3 gun, The Safariland will not bounce around on the belt while running.

Jay

I imagine more retention is desired due to all of the running and unconventional shooting positions.

Correct.

The retention holsters are not required as long as the holster can securely hold the handgun, but 3-Gun often requires the shooter to move rigorously. And the courses of fire have began to become more physically challenging than in years past. The more serious 3-gunners are now opting for the holster with retention than the traditional speedy open-top holster commonly used in IPSC/USPSA.

Last May at the Midwest 3-Gun Championship in Fayette MO, I watched as a shooter was running to a shooting position with his rifle in his hand and his loaded handgun in an open-top holster. Then suddenly, I saw an object fall off from him and it tumbled and rolled in the ground. At this object began to slow down, everyone quickly realized that it was the shooter's Glock. It was a little nerve racking as you waited for it to come to a rest. The shooter was DQ-d and he was too upset to talk to anyone about how it happened. I would assume that it happened either by his open-top holster being too loose, or the stock in his rifle caught the handgun as he was raising it up and pulled the handgun out of the holster. Either way, it would have been prevented had he been using a holster with more retention.

Both the WRS and ALS are good holsters for 3 gun. I have used both and prefer the WRS for one reason: If the pistol is the first thing I shoot in a stage, I don't want the added retention, like you get with an ALS, I want the option. If your draw is to put your hand on top of the gun, the npull it out, then the extra .20 seconds it takes to draw, is not really that substantial, as long as you make the time up somewhere on the stage. My draw is more of a "scoop" from the bottom of the grip. I can't do that with an ALS. With the WRS, it's my choice to put the hood up or not (in Outlaw 3 gun). I can't "scoop" my gun with the hood up on the WRS either, but, if it's up, that means it's not the first gun of the stage and I have time as I moving to the dump barrel for one of my longuns, to transition the long gun to my left hand and start the draw. Goal is to have the pistol up and out and pressing forward about the same time I'm dumping the long gun.

Both the WRS and ALS are good holsters for 3 gun. I have used both and prefer the WRS for one reason: If the pistol is the first thing I shoot in a stage, I don't want the added retention, like you get with an ALS, I want the option. If your draw is to put your hand on top of the gun, the npull it out, then the extra .20 seconds it takes to draw, is not really that substantial, as long as you make the time up somewhere on the stage. My draw is more of a "scoop" from the bottom of the grip. I can't do that with an ALS. With the WRS, it's my choice to put the hood up or not (in Outlaw 3 gun). I can't "scoop" my gun with the hood up on the WRS either, but, if it's up, that means it's not the first gun of the stage and I have time as I moving to the dump barrel for one of my longuns, to transition the long gun to my left hand and start the draw. Goal is to have the pistol up and out and pressing forward about the same time I'm dumping the long gun.

Jeremy covered it. I went to the WRS for both 1911/Para and my M&P 9L for 3 Gun. Leave the hood open if the pistol is 1st. Close it if it isn't. The match won't be won or lost by the pistol draw but can be lost if the pistol departs the holster without a hand on it. Saw just that at the Pro Am and several of us watched it tumble in slo-mo, coming to a rest pointed at the crowd.

Have also watched pistols fall out when going prone. I am capable of having train wrecks on my own. The holster is just one less thing to worry about.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

I was also in the squad at CMMG where the competitors handgun came loose. Sucky deal, first stage at a major match, looked to be a good shooter and just like that.....done. I think what happened is the butt of the rifle caught the sight as he began to run and flung it right out of the holster. At the time I was running a Blade-Tech DOH Stingray open top holster and the rest of that match and for the following local matches, I always felt uneasy about it. Found myself holding a hand on the gun whenever there was much for movement and so on. Then I signed up for Blue Ridge and after looking at the stages and video from previous years knew I had to come up with something different (i.e. climbing, crawling, slung weapons, ect.). Not having a lot of cash to work with, I followed Villamor's advice and went with the Blackhawk Serpa holster and mated it with my Blade-Tech DOH mount. I really like it, been using it at pistol only matches too and can't find any faults so far. There may be nicer or faster options out there, but if you're on a budget I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Serpa.

Disclaimer: I am not a Grand Master pistol shooter so YMMV.

Edited by Shooter115

• 4 weeks later...

Why so much retention required for three gun? Just curious as I don't shoot it but kick around the idea

Lots of running, weird angles and positions, and slings, props, etc. can dislodge your pistol if not careful. I was at a match this past weekend where we had about a 100 yd dash while carrying a shotgun...you don't want to worry about your pistol coming out as you are in a full sprint with a shotgun in hand.

In 3 gun the lightning fast draw isnt going to win a match. The dropped gun will sure loose one. There is just much more movement getting onto and out of some odd positions etc thata little retention is good. I like the safariland ALS for the glock and wish they had it for the 6inch 2011.

Does anyone have any experience with the SLS versus the ALS? I am almost convinced to go with the WRS at this point but I want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing between the SLS and ALS. I like the fact of what what mentioned above about the WRS giving the shooter an option to keep it unlocked if the first firearm used during the CoF was a pistol. Any other help would be appreciated before I make a purchase...