Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm vs. 40 for 3 gun

grouse

I’ve used my USPSA gun, a .40 5.25, for 3 Gun so far (with 140mm mags) and have not seen any advantage or disadvantage in our local matches. I have yet to run into a stage where more than 21 rounds on tap would have helped or one in which I thought 9mm ammo would have been a negative. I do shoot Production in USPSA so don’t run a magwell extension on my gun and am shooting my weenie .40 minor reload ammo. I have a 9mm XDm 4.5 that I am considering setting up with a magwell and a fiber optic front sight like my 5.25 to try out for 3 Gun just to have a few more rounds and get into using 9mm ammo. I want to experiment with some 9mm loads and use up some of the buckets of 9mm brass I have sitting around!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

There isn't any real disadvantage to using the .40 either. For the most part you are not winning or losing any 3 gun match in the 2-5 seconds difference that MAY exist between 9 and 40. That being said, the one person who said all of the cool kids are running custom 9mm's is right... look in the classifieds everyone is selling their 40's and looking for 9's

• 2 weeks later...

I can't count how many times I've gone to a local match, no matter if its IDPA, USPSA,or a 3 gun match were the steel is never calibated corretly and I shoot the steel and the RO says oh you should've shot it again. I always shoot 40 cal with a power factor in the 140's.

This,

I was looking for a new blaster for 3 gun, I wanted an edge in 9mm. I ended up with an edge in .40, its was cheap, available, and I can use it as a back up for my limited gun. Everyone seems to be off loading .40's and I got a smoking deal.

On the other hand I shot a night shoot a month ago and won my division. I believe it was because I was shooing a .40 with major pf. (had a USPSA match that morning and just used the same ammo) . There were 2 spinners and major PF put them spinners over fast. Way faster than my 9mm.

There isn't any real disadvantage to using the .40 either. For the most part you are not winning or losing any 3 gun match in the 2-5 seconds difference that MAY exist between 9 and 40. That being said, the one person who said all of the cool kids are running custom 9mm's is right... look in the classifieds everyone is selling their 40's and looking for 9's

like others have said, i see no advantage to shooting a larger caliber in 3-gun, unless your 3-gun match has major/minor scoring. but i don't see that happening as that's mostly a USPSA pistol competition scoring factor.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to buy one gun for USPSA Limited Class and multigun... buy a .40

If you only shoot multigun... buy a 9mm

I run the same 2011 in Limited and multigun, so it is .40. I LOVE my 155 grain (Berry's hollow base flat point) minor loads! They make a 127 PF and shoot like a dream. When I have a spinner I use 200 grain (Berry's flat point) loaded pretty hot. It usually takes me less than 5 seconds to spin it with these, top--> bottom--> over. The only draw back is I can only fit 21 rounds per mag, if it was 9mm I'd get about 2-3 more. The cost to reload the 155 grain .40 is identical for me as 124 grain 9mm.

• 3 weeks later...

At the local range there a lot of spinners for action pistol and on 3gun there is at least one, penalty for not swinging being a lot. I figure the more momentum the better, and the .40 gives you more of that. Momentum equals mass time velocity and you can compare the 9 to the 40 with your powder and do the math. My son, the mechanical engineer said a lead bullet would be a little better than a plated bullet as it would deform more on contact. Not sure about that. But sort of like using heavier shot for a further distance on shotgun, or a heavier bullet on rifle, but the 40 will take a much heavier bullet than the 9mm. So, I guess its all about the local range.

40 only makes sense if you are going to also shoot USPSA limited with the same gear. When I shoot USPSA anymore I do it with my 3 gun set up, and pretend it's the pistol part of a stage, so I go for 2 hits really fast. I don't win, but I also don't care.

I used to shoot 4 gun and uspsa with a 6" 40, and ran light lead loads. never had an issue with steel, but around me I never came up to a non-shotgun spinner. If people were really super scared of them, they would be running 45s or 10mms, or 357, but I would guess for every 100+ rounds fired you take 1 at a spinner. doesn't seem worth it in lost capacity and added cost of a 40.

now you COULD build up a limited 40 M&P and get a conversion barrel. then bring 2 sets of mags to each match, and make your decision based on the targets they have set up that day. If you're into that kind of thing.

Our local 3 gun matches always have a pistol spinner or 2. Normally one is around 7 yards (easy) and another at 15 (gets hard to do under stress) with a 60 second penalty for a failure to flip the spinner, this can obviously make or break a match. The top guys in our club are shooting tricked SVI's in 9mm with light 9mm loads and then throwing in some 124gr loaded a little hotter for the spinners. The thought being 3 or 4 9mm's on target quickly has more energy than 2 .40 rounds. However after playing with .40 minor loads, I would way rather have 165's making 135-40 or so PF, they are just so soft, I feel like I have no disadvantage to the 9mm guys. That being said, my next gun is going to be 5.4" sighttracker 9mm that will be 3-gun specific (mainly just because)

Action Pistol matches at the same club have 3 spinners that need 2 hits top and bottom to neutralize but a 30 sec bonus to spin. Which when done correctly allow you to go negative on time for that stage. It seems a lot of the 3 gun guys bring their .40's out for these matches, but a lot of this could be just for USPSA practice.

For most it's... capacity capacity capacity.

If you don't reload? Definitely 9mm

If you reload? Consider 40S&W.

I think the flexibity that is available is worth the slight loss in capacity.

If you want more versatility with the gun and reload, go for the .40. You can work up a .40 minor and .40 major load very easily. The advantage is you use the same gun for multi-gun and limited. The gun has the same feel and trigger which will help with consistency between different disciplines. The couple of extra rounds in the 9mm will not make any difference unless you are at the upper levels of the game.

Been there done that. Shot xdm in 40 for 3 gun. It will work fine.

But, things to consider...

9mm has more capacity for a given magazine

9mm generally has less recoil (though like mentioned you can certainly reload 40 to be soft)

9mm cases are everywhere on the ground vs a handful of 40 to be able to pick up

9mm bullets are cheaper (both reloading and factory)

9mm pickup cases don't require push through grx die (this depends on you thoughts on bulged 40 cases and how many 9mm major cases you pick up)

40 positives

More oomph if you want/need it. It certainly does mow down steel.

I now shoot an xdm in 9mm and the 40 will get converted to an open gun for fun