Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti vs glock

glocklover

I just shot the Big dawg steel match and I did ok.

In limited division I was 18th out of 78. Better than I did last year. I used my Glock 35 again this year. I really enjoy shooting it. My question is how much better do you think I could do if I bought a STI? Could I expect my score to dramatically improve? I would love to be in the top 5. What do you guys think?

Craig

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's all about practice and training once you have gear that you like and runs reliably. I have been playing with the same ideas the last 3 years, and shoot a 2011 in 3 gun and steel challenge stuff and a 1911 in USPSA simply because I like them and they run well FOR ME. If you shoot a glock well, do it. I hate to admit it, but I watch guys beat me with glocks, M&Ps, 2011s, hell even some revolver guys that really want it bad enough.

I was recently reviewing some 3 gun video of a match where we finished really well. I was thinking the second or 2 it takes to unload a 2011 really hurt our scores. Then I watched more closely and saw how slowly I run, and how I missed a few easy shots by rushing. That alone would have bumped us up in the scores more than a SAO pistol.

In this case, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

I say to use what you like. If you like the gun, you will do great with it (just keep practicing with it).

The gun will get you to a certain point then the rest is up to the shooter improving their skills.

Have fun :cheers:

I have gotten into the equipment race before and always shot about the same overall whether I was shooting a glock or a 2011. The key is to shoot what you like and wear it out practicing.

I would call it a 50/50 mix. The gun makes a difference as does the shooter. Having your Glock set up to shoot 2" groups at 25 yards is the same as having a S_I that is capable of that. Now it is up to the shooter. Having a gun capable of 6" groups against a 2" group makes it an equipment issue.

Not one bit. IMHO. What makes you ask the question?

Trying to improve. Better gun higher score?

This is my experience only.... I used to use a Glock 17 for years (even before production division existed). I shot pretty well with it. I got a 1911/2011 after shooting the glock for about 5 or more years and I saw a dramatic improvement. Longer sight radius (17 was the standard 4.5 or whatever)the trigger was lighter and shorter. The steel frame lessens the felt recoil. Am I saying it's 100% the gun, no. But the gun certainly helps. Again, I'm sure this comment is gonna draw a bunch of different comments on how it's all the shooter (and I agree it's <95% the shooter and the indian not the arrow) but good arrows help. A good arrow and a crappy indian is crappy. But a great indian with great arrows...... All I'm trying to say.

Vogel... Glock! How much better would he be with an STI?

I found this old article recently:

Vogel says he simply shoots Glocks better than any other handgun he has tried, but in uniform he wears his department issue SIG Pro 2340. When he started shooting competitively he used a high-cap 1911 for three years. One day while training he shot an IDPA course of fire with a Glock, just to try it out. To his astonishment his score with the unfamiliar Glock tied his score with the 1911.

Vogel says the Glock grip angle lets him get the support hand higher on the gun for better recoil control. And the longer, heavier Glock trigger (relative to a 1911 pull), far from being a disadvantage, gives a better surprise break and lets him shoot more aggressively. Glocks are fairly light pistols. For shooters with adequate hand/arm strength and good recoil management technique they can be driven faster than heavier guns.

Hey Craig,

I've been shooting my STI Edge for about 6 months now. I shot my Glock 35 for several years. If you are talking about shooting major, the STI wins hands down. The single action trigger and heavier weight are really in it's favor. If you are shooting minor, the two become a lot closer. A high quality trigger, some new sights, and a fit barrel makes for a very nice shooting Glock. Overall, I'd say that I shoot maybe 5-7% better with the STI. That's not a big difference.

Skip

I think you should

why not, it has to be the equipment that will make you better, not practice

when I ordered my new limited gun I checked the boxes for better transitions, shot calling, quicker draws and better movement and no mikes.

It is called the GM package, check it out

Not one bit. IMHO. What makes you ask the question?

Trying to improve. Better gun higher score?

It just doesn't work that way, unless your talking extreme cases of I'm shooting this "insert crappy gun maker here" would I be better shooting this "insert great gun maker here".

But you are talking about two great companies with many National and World Champion titles between them. Not to mention all the local, State and Area Championships. Not being a smartass here. There is no magic bullet, I don't think you will notice any incredible or even noticeable bump in scores.

You might get some gains from shooting the new platform more because you just got it and love to shoot it. It would be hard to say which produced the gain, the platform, or, the additional shooting. I would lean towards the additional shooting.

Edited to add: I do think a good trigger on an S_I can mask some shooter flaws to a certain point. But, sooner or later on the road to GM, everyone is going to learn proper trigger mechanics. Some earlier, C to A, some later, A to GM.

I'd also add that if your convinced it will help you, then by all means do it. No amount of anyone telling you different will matter Faith in our equipment goes a long way when we are trying to perform our best.

Edited by Chris iliff

If you want it and can afford to get one then do it. If you are always second guessing yourself or equipment that won't help your mental game. If it does't work out then sell it. Its not like used 2011s tank in value.

Hey Craig,

I've been shooting my STI Edge for about 6 months now. I shot my Glock 35 for several years. If you are talking about shooting major, the STI wins hands down. The single action trigger and heavier weight are really in it's favor. If you are shooting minor, the two become a lot closer. A high quality trigger, some new sights, and a fit barrel makes for a very nice shooting Glock. Overall, I'd say that I shoot maybe 5-7% better with the STI. That's not a big difference.

Skip

The only reason I would buy the gun is for the Big Dawg Steel match, and major is not much of a beneifit except for a couple of stages. For everything else I shoot production division. I might have to think about it for a while.

Thanks for the info Skip,

Craig

Craig,

Why don't we meet at the range sometime and you can try out the STI? This way you can compare them head to head. The STI is really a nice gun. Towards the end of the season you can pick up a used one in the classifieds.

I might try shooting my G35 at one of the next local matches just to see how it feels compared to the STI. I shot my single stack a couple of weeks ago. Going from 20 rounds down to 8 was quite a change, but still a lot of fun.

Skip

Craig,

Why don't we meet at the range sometime and you can try out the STI? This way you can compare them head to head. The STI is really a nice gun. Towards the end of the season you can pick up a used one in the classifieds.

I might try shooting my G35 at one of the next local matches just to see how it feels compared to the STI. I shot my single stack a couple of weeks ago. Going from 20 rounds down to 8 was quite a change, but still a lot of fun.

Skip

That would be great to compare them. I have family visiting this weekend. Maybe we could meet at Van Meter a week from Sunday?

Craig