Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun plate turned 90degrees

Something that keeps coming up in competition. The F$%@ing shotgun plate spun 90 degrees!

Other than trying to change your angle and get some piece of the side, how do you knock it down? Shoot at the base? Is it worth keeping a caddy of #6 handy to shoot at the base?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better designed plates have an anti rotation baseplate. Basically a welded lip which helps prevent spinning. However, matches where that is not the case usually specify the steel must fall in which case a 90 degree turn is not a range malfunction and no reshoot. Bet bet is to try and move to change your angle on the plate, or take another shot or two and move on.

We don't give REFs for shotgun plates at the club, steel must fall. If it lays down on the stand we call it a hit. I have found the best way to deal with it is to shoot at the base, where it meets the plate.

The ones with the lip welded on the front solve this problem. I didn't see one rotate during the entire benelli shotgun match when I was shooting or ROing.

We don't give REFs for shotgun plates at the club, steel must fall. If it lays down on the stand we call it a hit. I have found the best way to deal with it is to shoot at the base, where it meets the plate.

The ones with the lip welded on the front solve this problem. I didn't see one rotate during the entire benelli shotgun match when I was shooting or ROing.

The only target I saw blade at Rockcastle was the activator for the swinger. Plus with the design of those plates and stands that were used insured all the targets were set at the same angle for all shooters.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

This weekend at the Colt 3man 3gun, a friend recommended picking up a handfull of rocks and throwing them at it. Wonder how that would score if you actually hit it? hahaha.

All depends on the size :devil:

This weekend at the Colt 3man 3gun, a friend recommended picking up a handfull of rocks and throwing them at it. Wonder how that would score if you actually hit it? hahaha.

All depends on the size :devil:

That is what she said :sight:

• 2 weeks later...

Hit them right the first time. We only had a couple turn at the match and if shooters moved in free fire zone they could get a better shot at them. New bases are smaller and work better but it all comes down to getting. A good hit the first time.

Hit them right the first time. We only had a couple turn at the match and if shooters moved in free fire zone they could get a better shot at them. New bases are smaller and work better but it all comes down to getting. A good hit the first time.

Yes!

We are trying to upgrade out Steel plate bases w/ a tab on them so this will not happen, but until they are all done, as MD for our matches I have declared that a target that turns 90 degrees will be declared a hit. Just made the call - only happened once since we have been running tactical shotgun -guess who it happened to... yup me, that was before I made the decision...not based on my experience, but just because people ask.

Mark K

Edited by Mark K

I feel you should not change the bases. Steel is steel, and clays are clays. A clay will chip, or break from where a steel piece will not fall. Steel is a different target. Steel will fall if you hit it square. Slow down and hit it or go fast and miss it.

Every shoot a Texas Star and have a plate hang and not fall????? Tuff luck! keep shooting or move on.

:cheers:

The only target I saw blade at Rockcastle was the activator for the swinger. Plus with the design of those plates and stands that were used insured all the targets were set at the same angle for all shooters.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

The problem with the ones at the Rockcasle Shotgun match is that the tab was set on the front of the target and I saw many times over the weekend that a shooter would hit the target but it would not fall because of the tab. Several of the shooters I shot with mentioned that we had to spend extra time to make sure the steel had fallen even when we called good hits. If the tab was placed at the rear of the target, by just rotating each target 180 degrees, they still would not have spun when hit, but would have also fallen reliably.

Doug

I had one steel turn on me at Rockcastle. I hit it with maybe 2-3 pellets as I swung too fast and just barely grazed it as I was trying to jump out of the box at stage 2 (or was it 3?). We also had one guy in our squad hit a target and it jumped straight up and landed back on the stand. Stuff happens. I'll go with whatever the rule book says.

If the plate turns 90 degrees when hit it is because the bases are not constructed properly. The easy solution to the problem is to weld a lip on the back of the stand so the plate cannot turn. If it turns it is a range malfunction and the shooter is entitled to a reshoot.

I have been shooting 3 gun for awhile and at the big matches if you ask for md to grant reshoot on turned steel good luck. This is not uspsa. Steel must fall to score means what it says. Slow down and hit it. Easy solution hit the target and don't whine when ya miss it. We have some new bases that are much smaller and they can't spin. But I am not gonna change or redo the 100 or so I have already.

If the plate turns 90 degrees when hit it is because the bases are not constructed properly. The easy solution to the problem is to weld a lip on the back of the stand so the plate cannot turn. If it turns it is a range malfunction and the shooter is entitled to a reshoot.

I'd like to see you argue that w/ Andy Horner! :)

There are no REF in 3 Gun, only shooter malfunctions! :cheers:

The ones Rob put out at the 3GN matches were a great solution. Plate angled backward on the base, sitting on a small round platform welded to the top of the stake. Any disruption from center of the platform and the plate was coming off.

I have had this come up at previous matches I hosted and at this last match I discussed it ahead of time with my other RO's and we made it a rule if it was not presenting at least a 45 degree angle the RO would call it a hit and move on. We have the issue more because I have knock over steel on the ground. I plan on getting some stands to lessen this occuring.

Pat