Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody make their own case lube?

Nimitz

Just ordered a couple of Hornsby one shot with my new 650 but at $10/bottle that will get old in a hurry. At today's club match one of the guys said he makea his own with a 4:1 ratio of 100% alcohol and lanalen ... Said he still has the original bottle he bought 2 years ago ... Cheap and can get a lot of it ...

Just ordered a couple of Hornsby one shot with my new 650 but at $10/bottle that will get old in a hurry.

If you paid $10 for a can of One Shot you got screwed. It's $6.95 at my local shop. Since you said "bottle" I hope you did not get the non aerosol variety because it just plain don't work. You need to use the spray can type.

How many rounds do you plan to load in a year? I load between 7500 and 10000 a year and a can lasts me a little more than a year. A little goes a long way so it's pretty cheap even at $10 a can.

hmmmm ....bought it from Amazon at $10.75/can ... its the spray bottle. I currently shot 500-700 rds/week so I'm always looking for ways to lower cost ... thought I read somewhere that one can does about 1,500 rds but that doesn't sound right ...

I made mine and use a old hair spray pump bottle. I dump a bunch of cases in a heavy plastic bag and spay three or four squirts and shake them up. You don't need much, then dump out to dry for a few minutes before loading. I usually do lots more than I load in that sitting. I just put the cases in plastic boxes until i use them.

Doesn't cost much to make, if you don't like it you won't lose much. I found liquid lanolin at the health food store. You will need to shake well before using.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm. Lots of good recipes for gun guys.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

hmmmm ....bought it from Amazon at $10.75/can ... its the spray bottle. I currently shot 500-700 rds/week so I'm always looking for ways to lower cost ... thought I read somewhere that one can does about 1,500 rds but that doesn't sound right ...

Like I said, it's closer to 10,000 rounds per can for me. A 2-3 second blast into a gallon ziploc bag and dump in 2-300 cases and shake. Dump in casefeed and repeat as needed.cheers.gif

A couple drops of motor oil in your hands. Run them through a gallon of brass in an ice cream bucket. You can buy a lifetime supply for a few bucks!

Glad that works for you. For any newer reloaders out there just be aware that motor oil kills primers if they come into contact with each other.

I see One Shot at Natchez for 6.69 a can, but shipping might make that deal not so good, regardless its all I use, love the stuff and it does goes a long way. Long enough that I dont worry about saving a buck or 2 on 2-3000 rounds...I am little heavy with it though...

Edited by Ofishl1

I've used One Shot and Dillon case lube. I prefer the Dillon. I was going to try making my own but could not find the 99/100% alcohol for less than $25-30/gallon. I'm sure there is somewhere to buy it at a reasonable price, but I have not found it yet. Until then, I just get a bottle of Dillon lube anytime I order something from them.

I use silicone spray. A can of 3 in 1 brand was $1.99 on sale. Lightly spray the inside of a plastic coffee can, add brass, hand tumble for a minute or two. I think I learned that on this forum somewhere...

Edited by sroe3

I have loaded tens of thousands of .223's using Rubbing Alcohol and Lanolin. Never had a issue. It use around a 4 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin, but really just eyeball it. I purchased a 8oz bottle at a health food store, and haven't even used half of it. It takes a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate, but its leave a nice layer of lube on the cases. The only problem is it gets a little sticky if you do not wipe it off after after loading.

Are you guys having to tumble off the lanolin or Dillon lubes? I would defintlely be using those or Imperial for necked cases, but for pistol brass I use spray one shot just to smooth things out. Spread the cases out on a cookie sheet and give them a good spray, let it dry for a few mins and load em up. One shot won't affect the powder if it happens to get inside the case, not sure about the others.

Are you guys having to tumble off the lanolin or Dillon lubes? I would defintlely be using those or Imperial for necked cases, but for pistol brass I use spray one shot just to smooth things out. Spread the cases out on a cookie sheet and give them a good spray, let it dry for a few mins and load em up. One shot won't affect the powder if it happens to get inside the case, not sure about the others.

Even when I was using One Shot, I would generally tumble all new reloads for about 10 minutes to completely clean them before boxing up. Especially so with the Lanolin based lubes, just because I do not want them picking up dirt along the way.

Mark K.

The only two lubes I sell are, Dillon and Hornady One Shot Aerosol, everything else is a pain in the butt to get or not good enough.

I prefer the Dillon, we sell about the same of each. One Shot does not last as long as Dillon as you each a higher percentage of the can each time you lube up. If you are worried about the cost of the Lube you are not worried about the right things with your shooting.

One can of One Shot "should" last 10K rounds if use appropriately. Not too much not too little.

Absolutely stay away from the Pump Spray Hornady, I can not pin it down, but something is not right, never had so many customer complain of stuck or sticky cases and missfires. Takes an age to dry.