Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prizes at USPSA majors

okorpheus

I've gathered that prize tables at IDPA matches usually go by random drawing. Is this typical of USPSA majors as well or do they usually go by order of finish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Area Championships will either go by order of finish in your Division or be a Trophy only Match.

Other Majors usually have a plan that they follow every year. Most of the times it is listed in the Match Bulletin.

I thought IDPA was staunchly against prize table, I may have to dig the single-stack out and start shooting IDPA again.

If there is a prize table it gets divided up by random drawing.

Area Championships will either go by order of finish in your Division or be a Trophy only Match.

Other Majors usually have a plan that they follow every year. Most of the times it is listed in the Match Bulletin.

Area matches will sometimes also roll on the principle of Division Champion, 1st in class, 1st in category, then order of finish....

1st in class/category is of course dependent on hitting the minimum numbers for participation....

I see more and more random drawing for the prize table. The "Big Guns" usually walk away with the top prizes which could be guns or cash and the rest of the shooters are put in a random drawing. I like the idea because I am too old to win anything for shooting good.

I wouldn't count on that. Each match, whether Area or other major will have its own prize distribution schedule I any. If it really matters to you ask before you go. It'll either be posted on the App or the MD should be able to answer what you're in for.

Curiosity more than anything. Wouldn't be traveling for prizes anyway, but the chance of coming home with something does make the cost of entry and travel easier t sell to my wife and myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like the idea of having a good prize table for order of finish, plus prizes by randon draw. The average shooter is not going to win the big prize, yet they are always told to support the match sponsors. Do the "professional" shooters buy thins from the match sponsors? One year at the Single Stack Nationals, Smith and Wesson gave away pistols to the top finishers who shot a Smith and Wesson Single stack. I don't think to many shot them that year and maybe three were given away. Too bad Kimber doesn't do that. (Hint-Hint)

I wouldn't expect to see anything thing from Kimber. They don't seem to support USPSA or IDPA for that matter very well. I've never seen anything from them on any of the prize tables. Maybe that's why I can't remember seeing to many of their guns being used in our sports.

I wouldn't expect to see anything thing from Kimber. They don't seem to support USPSA or IDPA for that matter very well. I've never seen anything from them on any of the prize tables. Maybe that's why I can't remember seeing to many of their guns being used in our sports.

Which is weird since they've advertised on the back page of Front Sight for quite some time.

Kimber has primarily focused on supporting USA Shooting, the group that supports our Olympic athletes. Kimber donates a lot to that group. I wish they'd support our sports as well but they are putting a lot of money into at least some shooting sport.

Evidently jeeper90 hasn't encountered the bad knees, failing vision and hand neuropathy that comes with age. Only guy I ever saw that's overcome bad knees is Latham. Trust me; the quality of performance wanes with age for 99% of us. :eatdrink:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

My plan for this stage is "Keep shooting until I hit something"

• 2 weeks later...

Random draw prize tables stink, could be that I never do well with them. I think that overall finish is a good way to go. The Pro shooters do have the advantage, maybe a hybrid system that seperates the Pro's from the average joe's.

I vastly prefer random draw, because it takes away some of the incentive for people to sandbag in lower classes as long as they can to win a prize. I don't care if they win cheezy trophies for sandbagging, but it burns me up when people succeed in sandbagging for valuable prizes while the people who are actually at their same skill level are shooting the next higher class.

:cheers:

I liked the Ohio Sectional a few weeks ago. They had 4 custom pistols and others for the winners of the divisions. Plus they had a random drawing for one other for each division. Plus they had a drawing for just the staff. The winners get something but everyone has a chance to come home with something as well. Best of both worlds I guess.

Sandbagging only helps in matches like the pro am where they go 1st GM, 1st M, 1st A etc. That is the only match I have ever shot where they do that.

I think that the random drawing prize tables are a product of the recent "everybody is a winner" and "it has to be fair" mentality that seems to be the norm now. F - that. Work hard, win, get a reward for it. I know that the folks that put the matches and prize tables together work hard on it, but there is just no way that everybody can be a winner. I would rather see the top 5 in each division rewarded heavily and the rest can go home with incentive to do better next time. I have been hosed at the last 5-6 matches that I have been to. Like, gun oil, hosed. I gave away the contents of my last three prize bags due to them being random. All of those were match top ten finishes with at least 2nd in my division and top 3-5 in open. By rights, I should have had a gun at one or two of those.

Top prize should go to the biggest class winner weather it's GM or D class. If Production has 3 GM, 5 M, 10 A, 20 B and 30 C, then C class should have the biggest prize. Most shooters. 3 GM's will never keep a match afloat.

Top prize should go to the biggest class winner weather it's GM or D class. If Production has 3 GM, 5 M, 10 A, 20 B and 30 C, then C class should have the biggest prize. Most shooters. 3 GM's will never keep a match afloat.

To award what, the best mediocre shooter? The best sandbagger? The shooter that shoots for fun but cant, or wont, put in the time, effort or money to reach GM?

Sure, keep classes so people can see how they're doing against other people of roughly the same skill level, but to award prizes (except maybe some cheap plaques) is kinda silly IMHO. Even though we shoot to have fun (right?), its a competition and thus the best shooters should be awarded. If you're shooting for fun then maybe you shouldnt expect to get a good prize? Yeah, Im sure there are plenty of people that have excuses to why they can't become GMs, but in my world that doesnt justify giving them prizes...

The class system is so you can see how you're improving over time, or to give you a chance of a somewhat reasonable way of comparing skill, it shouldnt be used to distribute prizes since it awards mediocrity and sand bagging

Prizes of any decent value in overall order of finish.

my 2c...

To award what, the best mediocre shooter? The best sandbagger? The shooter that shoots for fun but cant, or wont, put in the time, effort or money to reach GM?

Sure, keep classes so people can see how they're doing against other people of roughly the same skill level, but to award prizes (except maybe some cheap plaques) is kinda silly IMHO. Even though we shoot to have fun (right?), its a competition and thus the best shooters should be awarded. If you're shooting for fun then maybe you shouldnt expect to get a good prize? Yeah, Im sure there are plenty of people that have excuses to why they can't become GMs, but in my world that doesnt justify giving them prizes...

The class system is so you can see how you're improving over time, or to give you a chance of a somewhat reasonable way of comparing skill, it shouldnt be used to distribute prizes since it awards mediocrity and sand bagging

my 2c...

+1

my 2c...

I get your point, but some shooters no matter how much time or money they put into it will ever become a GM.

my 2c...

I get your point, but some shooters no matter how much time or money they put into it will ever become a GM.

So? Reward the winners.