Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me I should buy a new press

I'm almost at the end of my rope mucking around with my lee pros. Last night I sat down to load some .38 spl and after an hour had a grand total of 40 usable cases and about 25 upside/crushed primer cases. Argh!

I reload 9mm/.45/.38 spl. I have two lee presses that worked ok with the auto calibers but there's something about switching over to load .38 that is completely frustrating and just screws up the works. (it takes about 30-45 minutes for me to change over from 9 to .38 due to tuning/breaking/weird crazy random problems).

Will my needs be met if I plunk down the cash for a 550b and conversion kits between the three calibers? I shoot about 1-2k a month, about 75% of it in 9mm. On a good day I can load about 400 rounds an hour on the lee but once they go down due to a powder flake somewhere where it doesn't belong the press goes down hard.

I've got the womanly consent to go ahead and buy, but I'm on the fence about spending the equivalent of a gun on a press. Need some enablers to tell me it's ok!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I load 9, 40, 45, 38spl/357, and 38super on a 550. Changing between calibers, once you have the tool heads all set up is a 5 minute job, at most, if you have to change the shell plate, a little longer if you are going from small to large primers or vice versa. Worth every penny you will ever spend on it, and if you do sell it, you will get upwards of 90% of what you paid for it. Buy a new press!

Terry,

I went with the 550 for my first press and it is outstanding. But I traded up to the 650 w/ casefeeder over the winter and I must admit it is absolutely the way to go. If you are even close to the numbers you gave for rounds per month the 650 will be ideal as you can easily load 600-800 per hour. If you have plenty of free time on your hands and love to reload the 550 will be fine. If you don't always have plenty of free time and love to reload the 650 is the answer.

Haha you guys are winning me over.

I feel like I would go with the 550 just because I interchange calibers alot because of USPSA/ICORE/random shooting. That and it does come quite a bit cheaper than the 650.

Always go with the most expensive press you can afford, even if it hurts for a little while. MANY people later 'upgrade' to 650s and 1050s, and wish they had just done that from the start. I've NEVER heard of anyone wishing they had bought a lesser press, but if it does happen, there is always someone willing to buy used dillon presses.

I suggest at LEAST a 650, but urge you to find a friend with a 1050 that you can try pulling the handle on.

I can't say anthing bad about the Lee press as I never tried one. I can just say I was smart enough not to go there.

I use an XL650 as well as a LNL both good machines.

Buy once cry once.

Your spending pattern is normal, thank goodness you are not into golf, fishing, or hunting. I went from race cars to guns, this stuff is cheap and a crap load of fun.

I really like the 550. I have loaded on a 550 & a 1505. My shotgun press is the SL900 which is a 650 set up for shotgun.

I'd suggest getting the 550 as you originally stated. I think it will provide you with more than enough ammo in a short amount of time. And with less frustration. The caliber changes, even with the primer change out, is simple and fast.

If you find yourself down the road needing higher production, upgrading to a 650 or 1050 will be easy. There is always a used market for them and they hold their value due to the Dillon no BS warranty..

+1 on the 650 ,My wife purchased one for me this past christmas.Go for it and get the 650 you will not regret it,I think dillion now offers payment plans check ther web site or call brian he is a dillion dealer.Good luck on your decession

I think the decision to go with a 550 or 650 just depends on volume. The 550 is extremely versatile and puts out a good amount of volume of ammo with cheaper caliber conversions than the 650. The 650 is capable of putting out a greater volume with the casefeeder, but is more expensive and caliber conversions are more money. I just upgraded from a 550 to a 650 and I'm glad I did.

i came here to talk you into a 550b, because that was the the first and only press i ever bought, and i love it. Now, though, all this talk about the 650 is making me curious.

I know how you feel. I was a dedicated 550 guy and swore i would never want anything else. Then I started wondering about getting a casefeeder and it seems the 550 unit has it's issues. I also wondered about a bulletfeeder down the road, etc. Everything just started telling me the 550 was maybe not the press I had dreamed it was.

Went to the 650 with the casefeeder and it was like putting Rudy glasses on for the first time WOW!! I'm now in line for a bullet feeder as well. I only load 9mm so changing calibers is not an issue for me yet. The 650 is not as easy to do load development on as the 550 was but once you get it dialed in it is an ammo factory.

It takes a tad more mechanical inclination but it's not hard to use by any stretch of the imagination.

I wore out several Lee presses. I suggest you buy a Dillon Square Deal in 9mm if 75% of your loading is 9mm. Otherwise, get a 550. In my humble opinion, those will be fine for you unless you load a lot - then I would consider the 650 and 1050. At one time, I had Dillon Square Deals in 9mm, 40, and 45 on my bench and life was good. I sold two of the Square Deals to get a 550 so I could load 223.

You can find used Square Deals in the various gun classifieds. There is a used 9mm Square Deal on AR15 forum last time I looked.

Here's the deal, whatever press you buy from Brian (650=cat's pajamas) I'll buy from you at full price if you are not happy and I'll pay half the shipping to Georgia. Brian has free shipping if the purchase is over $400.00 At most you will lose around $12.00

Here's the deal, whatever press you buy from Brian (650=cat's pajamas) I'll buy from you at full price if you are not happy and I'll pay half the shipping to Georgia. Brian has free shipping if the purchase is over $400.00 At most you will lose around $12.00

WOW--NOW THAT'S A DEAL YOU CAN'T TURN DOWN-- :rolleyes:

there's tweaking to do to get a smooth operation from the 650 but once you do you can roll 1000rds an hour without a bullet feeder fairly easily i had 2 screw ups and a few little time wasters and i recorded 100 rounds just under 6mins if you want to check out some of the addons I've put on my XL650 check out my blog http://xl650reloadinglog.blogspot.com

but overall once you can get the machine running smooth with rarely any case flips its like butter :cheers:

With an endorsement like that, I really couldn't lose!

Thanks shooting support group! 550B in 9mm and .38 spl on its way to my door!