Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tips for bad weather at match

Everyone,I'm heading to PA tommorow to compete at the PSA shootout plate match on thursday. The forecast is for scattered showers. Does anyone have any ideas or tips for bad weather shooting? Ive shot in the rain before but it was at a local match and we just kept going once the rain started. We were like drowned rats at the end. I'll bring my raincoat, extra dry socks, and some shop towels to dry stuff. Would it be worthwhile to bring a waterproof case like an ammo can or tool box to use rather than my normal bag? If anyone has anything to share even if its just a story I would appreciate it. Thanks, Pete

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on our squad suggested this at SMM3G.. the year of the rain.. it sounds funny but works nicely.

Get some cheap trashbags

Put your socks on

Stick your feet into the trashbag

Put your shoes on

tear off the trashbag around the shoe line

Your feet stay nice and dry

I'm sure it can get too wet for this to work, but in most instances it really helps.

We had some hairy weather at Area 6 this weekend. I found a local Wally World and picked up a $3 poncho which turned into a great investment during the next day's storm. Get some trash bags or a cover for your bag and a shower cap for your gun as well.

A hat! When it is raining a good brimmed hat is all that stands between you and looking through water- unless your glasses have windshield wipers. Anyone who has shot with me knows I am partial to my Tilley fishing hat. I like the full brim all the way around and having the brim in the back keeps the water from running down your head, neck and then down your back. I was with Reid and even with the wind and rain, I hardly had to wipe off my glasses. Great for sun as well. At the very least a baseball hat, but not nearly as good. Also take extra bandanas or rags. You will get them wet over time and having a dry one to wipe off glasses, grips and hands is worth it.

Also, after the last two matches, SC and Area 6, both having some rain- I have taken to keeping the little softside cooler that Universal Shooting Academy gave us at the FL Open. I keep my score sheets, rule book and other things that need extra protection in it when rain is likely. Depending on what the range is like, a chair can be good. I never use a chair to sit, between shooting, pasting, etc. there is no time. But when rain is likely it is nice to be able to put your bag in the chair rather than in the puddle, mud, sand, etc. if there is nowhere else to put it.

• 8 months later...

A hard plastic range box is a very good idea. I shot in the Fla IDPA championship some years back and it rained cats and dogs. I wish I had taken one of the military ponchos I owned. I was soaked to the bone and so were most people. A waterproof full brimmed hat makes sense too.

This is all fine and dandy, but it dodges the real issue, in my opinion.

Go out and get wet.

Who cares?

You're a shooter, and you shoot better in the rain because you don't give a Rat's Rear about getting wet.

Umbrellas are for sissies and women.

The sooner you get wet, the better you'll shoot.

SA

From my somewhat small experience shooting in the rain...Either don't go... or accept that you will get wet. Otherwise its all you will think about the whole match.

Bring stuff to clean your mags from mud, your gun from water(if needed).

Brings something to keep your hands as dry as they can be.

Bring glasses that don't fog up easily... a huge problem I see in the rain.

Bring spare clothing for after the mathch.

Mike.

I like a big hat to keep water off my glasses and a big coat to keep it off me when not shooting. when shooting I (and pretty much everyone here in the wet north west) just takes off their coat and lives with the wet till we finish our run then bundle back up while we are loading and taping. if it is cold as well I like to put a couple of the hand warmer packs in my gloves to keep may hands warm before my turn. other than that pretty much everything gets wet and I don't worry about it till i get home, then I just lay everything out in front of the wood stove till its dry before putting it away.

Mike

This is all fine and dandy, but it dodges the real issue, in my opinion.

Go out and get wet.

Who cares?

You're a shooter, and you shoot better in the rain because you don't give a Rat's Rear about getting wet.

Umbrellas are for sissies and women.

The sooner you get wet, the better you'll shoot.

SA

I can work with that. Untill it's the cold season. Then stay dry as I can and warm as I can. Shoot, dry off stay warm, rinse and repeat.

Edited by a matt

Pachmayr grip sleeve. I also modified my holster a little by replacing the tension adjustment screw with a knob. Retention changes a bit with temp and moisture.

Edited by sroe3

On thing which hasn't been mentioned yet - Scotch guard the heck out of the top, sides, and bottom of your shooting bag. The stuff works.

Poncho, cart or stool to keep your bag off the wet ground, plastic grocery bag or big ziplock to go over your holstered gun, hat to keep rain off glasses, whatever else you feel you need....but at some point you are going to get wet. Let getting wet bug the other guys, be prepared and accept that you and your gear will get a little wet....I kind of like shooting in a little rain or snow. But, not a deluge or to where it is unsafe.

As for umbrella's being for women and sissies...I donno, it takes a real brave soul to hang on to an umbrella during a Florida thunderstorm! :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of the tension knob rather than the stick screw and the scotchguard.

Regarding grips, once I put on "true grip," I never looked back. It's great in all weather. I just use superglue to seal the edges where the tape meets, the. I use a black sharpie to black out the white superglue. It works great on my G34 and my duty gun.