Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tips for bad weather at match

Everyone,I'm heading to PA tommorow to compete at the PSA shootout plate match on thursday. The forecast is for scattered showers. Does anyone have any ideas or tips for bad weather shooting? Ive shot in the rain before but it was at a local match and we just kept going once the rain started. We were like drowned rats at the end. I'll bring my raincoat, extra dry socks, and some shop towels to dry stuff. Would it be worthwhile to bring a waterproof case like an ammo can or tool box to use rather than my normal bag? If anyone has anything to share even if its just a story I would appreciate it. Thanks, Pete

Embrace it! I don't really like the rain only for the fact they bring out the clear plastic bags to cover the targets. Thinking back to early this year at a 3-gun match,it was cold, drizzling, and foggy, could barely see the target at 300 yards. I stopped and thought about how awesome that was. What else would I have been doing that day besides being stuck inside all day. Kind of compares to playing football in the rain and mud as a kid, except, I don't like mud at a match, so put that on the list.

Edited by TroyB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On hand for if the weather turns

Ziplocks both gallon and quart size

everything goes in these first

A few trashbags for range bag and cart

extra clothes and shoes

socks-several

goretex or similar jacket

an umbrella

I've seen people with beach umbrellas for the carts

might try this next

and several smaller towels

I agree with most of the above. My issue is why someone hasnt come up with water resistant TARGETS!!

There was an article a couple of years ago in front sight about coating targets to make them water resistant, a clear spray coating to the targets and letting them dry. Not sure about cost effectiveness. The corrugated plastic poster board might work, again how cost effective?

I solved a lot of issues when I went to the Range Pro Backpack and cart by DAA, it comes with a waterproof rain cover that you can put on quickly which ensures the pack is completely waterproof. In fact it can sit on he ground in the rain since the bottom is waterproof. Add a lg golf umbrella attached to the cart the backpack is straped to and even in the pouring rain with no cover I'm dry ... Not very happy, but stil dry ... Also the pack has plenty of room to bring anything required to combat the cold and or rain ....most useful non-gun accessory I've ever bought

I agree with most of the above. My issue is why someone hasnt come up with water resistant TARGETS!!

There was an article a couple of years ago in front sight about coating targets to make them water resistant, a clear spray coating to the targets and letting them dry. Not sure about cost effectiveness. The corrugated plastic poster board might work, again how cost effective?

The issue is not waterproof targets, the issue is a paster that will stick to waterproof targets consistently, and cost of course.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

We had some hairy weather at Area 6 this weekend. I found a local Wally World and picked up a $3 poncho which turned into a great investment during the next day's storm. Get some trash bags or a cover for your bag and a shower cap for your gun as well.

This.

Trash bags are great for tossing wet clothes and muddy shoes into also.

It's all about practice. We shoot year 'round here in Seattle and the rain isn't as big an issue as those 90+F days with that really bright sun shining everywhere. <sarcasm>

Gortex and back up clothes, combined with layering, including a brimmed hat, to shed the water and keep the insulating layers dry is your key.

Jack

Waterproof footwear is a must. Also, don't forget to keep a clean dry towel and an oil/frog lube towel in your car for your gun and mags. Here in GA, I've literally had rust start to form on my gear on the drive home. Amazing how fast rust can form in this climate.

• 3 weeks later...

All of the above are good suggestions, of course. For me, it is mostly a mindset issue. I pride myself on being a bad weather shooter because I shoot in bad weather all the time. That's how I reset my mind to not be bothered by rain, snow, whatever. The other thing I discovered--by doing poorly at a match--is that you have to practice shooting targets covered with clear garbage bags. Especially ones that are blowing in the wind as they were at this match. Before that match, I'd shot in the rain lots of times but never bothered to cover my targets because I knew I wouldn't be out there so long that I had to worry about it. But with a match that runs all day, the targets will be covered and the bags will sometimes be flapping in the wind, partly on and partly off, etc. As an example, on one stage, I shot six shots on a target. All six shots fit within about a three inch area. Unfortunately, three of the shots were on the 'wrong' side of the line because the garbage bag (and the rain coming down) obscured my ability to get my shots centered properly. So, pretty decent shooting but a poor score because I simply hadn't any experience with shooting covered targets. I practice that now.

Also, shooting for a half hour of practice in the rain is not the same as spending all day in it. Even with the best of preparations, you are going to get wet. You are going to be muddy. You will likely not be overly happy. That's where mindset comes in. TroyB is right. Embrace it!

• 1 month later...