Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tips for bad weather at match

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot 3 matches in the last month where the temperature was never over 25* and the winds were never below 13mph. Fleece lined pants, smart wool socks and goretex boots. Smart wool long sleeve and a t-shirt, are what I shot in. While I wasn't shooting I had my good soft shell coat on with gloves and hand warmer's in my pockets.

Being that cold I was more than happy to walk around and paste just to keep warm. It's fun to shoot in the cold, for me at least!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The reason this topic started is coming around again in just a month and a half, The PSA Shoot out ! So man up girlies it might rain and it might be cold too. C'mon it April in PA Just ignore the rain and cold and shoot. Honest the rain in PA moves out of the bullets path just out of respect, So don't worry a little rain won't affect your sight settings. :roflol:

Edited by hornetx40

• 2 weeks later...

50 degree temps and rain = hypothermia if you get wet and stay that way for hours.

Wisdom from US Army S.F. buddy: "Its easier to stay dry than it is to GET dry. Buy good gear and put it on BEFORE you get wet."

I like the suggestions for the wide brimmed hat works great for me as I must wear glasses now to properly focus on the front sight.

Good suggestions to bag stuff to keep it dry and out of the mud.

ALso consider getting Rite in the Rain notebooks in case you make notes about a match or to write anything down like addresses or phone #'s.

The books can get soaked and they stay fine and you can write on them without them tearing and getting turned into mush.

Change of clothes to include shoes and socks is a must, I once had a gore tex jacket that was old and the area across my shoulders let in a little bit of the rain. It was raining heavily so that little bit became a lot by the end of the day and a change of clothes was great to have.

• 4 weeks later...

For really cold weather - check your ammo. Powder power drops in low temperatures, so it may not attain required power factor or not function reliably.

My friends used termal-insulation box with chemical hand warmers in it to keep their shotgun ammo warm, so it will function reliably in semi-auto shotgun.

Another thing about cold weather - use very thick and warm gloves all the time, drop them only on 'load and make ready'. Quickly shoot bare-handed, then wear gloves again. No need to show your manliness by shooting with numb hands.

Just move to Florida (that's what I did) which worked well until this past weekend at Area 6. When my squad started the match it was 52 degs and pouring ... The day before on a friend's squad 2 shooters just left by mid day ...."to cold, too wet, I'm going home". I'm the first one to tell you that when it's below 70 it's COLD .... But I'm not going home because of it .... Maybe if I shot 365 days a year I would have left but .....

We had some hairy weather at Area 6 this weekend. I found a local Wally World and picked up a $3 poncho which turned into a great investment during the next day's storm. Get some trash bags or a cover for your bag and a shower cap for your gun as well.

Get a wet suit and sew belt loops on it if you are the fastest guy there the local dive shop will be sold out of XL suites by next match.

Edited by Hello

Handwarmers too. Use them in your pockets and if the will fit put them into your gloves especially in wet and cold weather.

Thermos full of hot chicken soup can brighten up a dreary day.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Tim really hit it... But with the wide brim hat you have to consider that you need ear plugs and not over the head hearing protection...

With that said... Remember electronics.. get a shower cap for your gun.. Cheap, easy to find and keep several in your bag..

I saw someone keep a cleaning cloth over their gun at Area 6 and then put the shower cap over that..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Prepare for the unexpected. I've been to several matches unprepared...not enough food/water or rain jacket//tarp/umbrella. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Hand warmers/gloves/dry clothes and multiple layers will always be in my bag this coming fall/winter season. Oh and dont forget to pack a redbull incase you get tired at the end of a long match :)

Yep, I remember when it rained here in back in 1985, Had to wait a full 1/2 hour for it to stop. Dreadful! Never forget that day.

Ranger6

"If it's on the internet, it's got to be true. They can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true." A. Lincoln

I like grip tape I find in the hardware store for grips (used to prevent falling on stairs).

I'm also fond of a big nylon coat that no longer fit my hubby. It keeps me and my gun dry between stages. No fussing to bag my gun.

• 1 month later...

Keeping dry is key all around, you have to be dry to stay warm. Once you start getting wet...it's downhill from there. I have a Gore-Tex rain suit made for golf. The pants have a draw string and can be pulled on over clothes but slide under holster and mag pouches. Matching jacket and your favorite big brimmed hat (so the water doesn't run down the collar). You also need boots tall enough to go inside the pant legs.