Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA (what are we getting right)

Coach

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the only sport I know of where boys, girls, men, and women can all be competitive in the same event, are received equally by their peers and scored fairly for their effort. What other sport has novices along side the pros in the same event and are completely welcomed and encouraged?

It took this I hate post to remind me that USPSA teaches shooters safe and good gun handling skills. I've remarked in the past that relatively novice shooters become very proficient with safely handling their guns in short order after a 3-4 matches. I believe that it's not only because of the stress induced by competition, but it also the added reinforcement of watching others safely handle their guns the whole day long. Subconciously, we don't want to be "that guy who sweeps the peanut gallery".

No better system exists to evaluate your skill level, even with its drawbacks the classification system is the best in the business .

Not to mention that the 3 legged stool is consistently tested on every stage.

<topic drift>

I wish there was a way to more fairly evaluate power though. It's good now, but I'm imagining some kind of linear interpolation of points based on the exact PF you shoot. Or maybe even Muzzle Energy. We have better science these days, we could come up with a slightly 'better' system... that would confuse people more... So while novel I say leave as it is.

</topic drift>

But as it stands, I'd say there is no better metric for evaluating practical pistol skills than Hit Factor.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

I'm sitting in one as I type this and I have to say that one of the best things about this sport are the Level I RO classes. Great instructors volunteering their time to educate members in a fun and interesting way. This is maybe my fourth or fifth time to sit in on one of these and every time I've learned something new and been really impressed with the quality of the instruction.

USPSA is bringing a lot more good publicity to the shooting sports and getting a lot more people involved (from my experience 2nd only to GSSF). With USPSA shooters being guest instructors on TV shows and showing knowledge, safety and capability it sends a good message without a lot of political overhead. I really think that USPSA needs to do more to promote shooting by LE though.

• 3 weeks later...

some of the best people I ever met

This and the focus on getting junior shooters competing in our sport. Everyone takes the time to mentor and teach these young kids at our local matches. It is good for the sport and our society by teaching gun safety, not the "fear of guns", and bringing in that new generation of Americans that are passionate about their 2nd Amendment rights for the right reasons. The action shooting sports are "family oriented" events that teach the values or responsibility and sportsmanship.

I wish there was a way to more fairly evaluate power though. It's good now, but I'm imagining some kind of linear interpolation of points based on the exact PF you shoot. Or maybe even Muzzle Energy. We have better science these days, we could come up with a slightly 'better' system... that would confuse people more... So while novel I say leave as it is.

I totally agree- maybe multiply your score by your measured power factor? I believe this is the way of the future- no minor/major shenanigans- just shoot and run what round feels right in your gun.

We aren't required to wear fishing vests or retain empty magazines. :lol:

All jokes aside, I think the "tactical" attitude of other disciplines turns alot of people off- at least it did with me. USPSA is all about the shooting and speed is speed. More pure, more 'legit' and easier to translate to non-shooters. We do the PR thing right.

A division for every gun and a classification for everyone and we welcome new shooters in a way no other sport can come close to.

How many times have you been offered a gun or ammo to shoot a match when you were: new and had no equipment, experienced but had a malfunction, or old and forgot ammo?

All the shooters I ever met take the sport serious. Its not a day at the park walking your dog, its spending time with all types of people who love to shoot, some as young as 14 and as old as 75. You will never meet more honest people who are willing to advance the sport. Some of the most giving people I ever met.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that it is one of the last bastions of personal responsibility. Its all YOU. You are responsible for your actions. No one else to blame if you shoot bad, if your equipment malfunctions, if you fail to make power factor or if you just suck that day. You win or you lose on your own. No excuses and no one is responsible for you but YOU.

Edited by deacon12224

Well-developed rules, lots of divisions, good website with quick score availability if MDs do their part, professional attitude & approach, good RO training format, Front Sight is a good magazine,responsive leadership. Very fun matches.