Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN GLOCKS

fuentesd99

Well got to shoot the new open gun tonight.WOW it is great.

shot about 150 rds. 100 major and 50 or so at 150 PF

6.8 gr of winchester auto comp,winchester small rifle primer

oal 1.135,125 gr jhp-c bullet. 1408 av fps

The big stick will hold 29 so i can start with 30 in the gun.

I did a 30 rd start and gun functions with no issues.

25 round rapid fire no issues and off a rest will keep

the hits in about a 3inch group at 20 yards.( im no bullseye shooter)

First match sat. in columbia s.c., I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

Edited by SUPERDUPER

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear.

Its a nice pistol you have there.

I'm hoping to have mine up and running in the near future.

Just mocked up all the parts:

_MG_8745small.jpg

Once my mill is back online, I'm going to make it look a little nicer.

All the open pistols posted so far have really given me some inspiration.

We'll see if it runs in the end!!

I don't think you guys are at too much of a disadvantage shooting Glocks in Open. I shot a 34 in Production and had all the legal mods done to it. It was a great shooter.

As for Open guns, aside from the trigger I think the biggest advantage of the 2011's is the weight. I don't know what a fully loaded Open Glock weighs but it can't be nearly as much as a 2011. I think this goes a long way towards taming the beast so to speak.

Another thing that factors in for some, me included, was that I just could not bring myself to dump $2k or so into a Glock. I had about $800 into my 34 and sometimes felt that was crazy.

Somebody said it best though, to each his own. Shoot what you like and have fun with it. In the right hands, and set up right, a Glock will run with the best of them. KC won the Ohio State Open title with a Glock by a significant margin.

Somebody said it best though, to each his own. Shoot what you like and have fun with it. In the right hands, and set up right, a Glock will run with the best of them. KC won the Ohio State Open title with a Glock by a significant margin.

Well said....,sir

Edited by SUPERDUPER

Do you think Carver's 'gas peddle' or tumb rest an be adapted to other scope mounts (e.g. sjc)?

Sure it can, but if you use a proper grip gimmicks arent needed...

Edited by Rick88

Don't know if I would consider a thumb rest a gimmick.

seems to work for many open shooters, who have spent more hours working on their grip than I care to imagine.

I like it so for now I'm going to use it.

Eventually when I develop a "proper grip" I'll consider removing it.

Sure it can, but if you use a proper grip gimmicks arent needed...

If that were the case....there wouldn't be thousands of them in current use by rec shooters and professionals alike. I've said it in this thread countless times....to each is own.

Back to the question- yes.....if you can drill and tap straight, any number of thumb rests will work on just about any mount/frame.

oal 1.135,

That seems a bit short does this work better for you then say 1.150

With a kkm barrel unless you work on the chamber 1.140-1.145 is about as long as you can go.

besides any thing above 1.140 starts to get into a issue with feeding well in a 9mm mag.

Edited by SUPERDUPER

I've said it in this thread countless times....to each is own.

Very true, I have seen many try them and then take them off because they didnt like the way it changed their grip. They look cool though :-)

Edited by Rick88

With a kkm barrel unless you work on the chamber 1.140-1.145 is about as long as you can go

Ok, i see what you mean. What was the minor load that you tried did the carver comp still work well?

Edited by Rick88

I don't know much about open guns (other than that the STI's are in the $4-$5K range and the Glocks are in the $1K-$2K range.) I've had multiple open shooters say something to the effect of "don't waste your time with an open Glock" but didn't pick up on any specifics as to why they believe open Glocks can't run with STI's. So I asked for specifics today...here's what I heard from the guys that think open Glocks are not of the same capability as the STI's:

- Glock will never cycle as fast as an STI...when that was said, a certified Glock armorer jumped in and said he completely disagreed - he said he could get a Glock to cycle every bit as fast as an STI...then another guy chimed in and said you could make a Glock cycle so fast it would turn into an automatic and you'd have to take it apart to get it to stop (not sure what that really meant)

- Glocks are too light and the recoil from shooting something like 9 major won't be as manageable as a heavier gun running major

- Glock triggers will never be as 'nice' as an STI trigger

Seems to me that 'nice' on a trigger is subjective, and if a Glock armorer says he can get a Glock to cycle as fast as an STI, that just leaves the weight issue. (But like I said, I'm just starting to learn about open guns...I'm trying to figure out whether to build an open Glock out of my 34 or save for a while and buy an STI.)

heres my .02 to the above

1. you dont need an armorer to make it cycle fast as its already cycling fast in its orig config like any other pistol/platform. Its like telling my gunsmith to make my 2011 cycle fast (if theres such a thing) :blink:

2. that weight of a 1911/2011 may help in recoil management but its grip angle does less while the grip angle of a glock enables you to push it or lean against its recoil naturally and to grip it higher closer to the bore (as compared to a 1911/2011) so it helps a lot in recoil management of the pistol w/ less effort than what most people might think that its weight is almost a non issue

3. glock trigger is not a 1911/2011 trigger so accept it as it is and practice it as it is. I dont look/expect for something thats definitely not there. But I cant say one is better/superior than the other. Its what you practice w/ that will be superior.

I am not biased to glocks vs 1911/2011s or v.versa because I have 2 open 9mm glock pistols and 2 custom STI hi cap .40 IPSC std pistols and I like them enough to compete w/ them. :cheers:

Edited by BoyGlock

I don't know much about open guns (other than that the STI's are in the $4-$5K range and the Glocks are in the $1K-$2K range.) I've had multiple open shooters say something to the effect of "don't waste your time with an open Glock" but didn't pick up on any specifics as to why they believe open Glocks can't run with STI's. So I asked for specifics today...here's what I heard from the guys that think open Glocks are not of the same capability as the STI's:

- Glock will never cycle as fast as an STI...when that was said, a certified Glock armorer jumped in and said he completely disagreed - he said he could get a Glock to cycle every bit as fast as an STI...then another guy chimed in and said you could make a Glock cycle so fast it would turn into an automatic and you'd have to take it apart to get it to stop (not sure what that really meant)

- Glocks are too light and the recoil from shooting something like 9 major won't be as manageable as a heavier gun running major

- Glock triggers will never be as 'nice' as an STI trigger

Seems to me that 'nice' on a trigger is subjective, and if a Glock armorer says he can get a Glock to cycle as fast as an STI, that just leaves the weight issue. (But like I said, I'm just starting to learn about open guns...I'm trying to figure out whether to build an open Glock out of my 34 or save for a while and buy an STI.)

I'm completely learning too... In my reading I realised as well that Glocks weren't as heavy (to start out with) and that may make them a little twitchy. I also started discovering things like Brass Magwells, and Tungsten extended length guiderods. I wonder how close one would be to a 2011 open gun in terms of weight and/or ballance at that point?

For me, trigger was the only hold out. For $1600 vs. $3300 (cheapest for me up here in Canada) I will put a 2# completely adjustable glock trigger kit in and see how it works.

heres my .02 to the above

1. you dont need an armorer to make it cycle fast as its already cycling fast in its orig config like any other pistol/platform. Its like telling my gunsmith to make my 2011 cycle fast (if theres such a thing) :blink:

2. that weight of a 1911/2011 may help in recoil management but its grip angle does less while the grip angle of a glock enables you to push it or lean against its recoil naturally and to grip it higher closer to the bore (as compared to a 1911/2011) so it helps a lot in recoil management of the pistol w/ less effort than what most people might think that its weight is almost a non issue

3. glock trigger is not a 1911/2011 trigger so accept it as it is and practice it as it is. I dont look/expect for something thats definitely not there. But I cant say one is better/superior than the other. Its what you practice w/ that will be superior.

I am not biased to glocks vs 1911/2011s or v.versa because I have 2 open 9mm glock pistols and 2 custom STI hi cap .40 IPSC std pistols and I like them enough to compete w/ them. :cheers:

I just want to re-iterate - none of those 'complaints' about open Glocks were my statements. I just tried to get the people that were telling me that open Glocks are a waste of time to explain, specifically, why they believed that to be the case so that their points could either be rebuffed or accepted as a short-coming of the open Glocks. I guess when someone was talking about "cycling fast" they were talking about the slide coming back and another round being chambered...basically saying that the open Glock cannot be shot as fast as an STI shot-to-shot. But if it keeps up with KC Eusebio I'm sure it can keep up with me :-)

Well did not win the match but the gun ran 100% no issues.

A buddy shot the other steel gun only he shot minor and

it also ran 100%.I did manage to win a stage but was alittle

out of control on a couple of stages.Also both big sticks

ran with 29 rd starts.got alot of complements at the range as well.

That always makes you feel good...

Edited by SUPERDUPER

Good to hear.

Its a nice pistol you have there.

I'm hoping to have mine up and running in the near future.

Just mocked up all the parts:

_MG_8745small.jpg

Once my mill is back online, I'm going to make it look a little nicer.

All the open pistols posted so far have really given me some inspiration.

We'll see if it runs in the end!!

So that is a bobby carver thumb rest? Just making sure before i order.thanks

Congratulations 'SUPERDUPER' this is SWEETBACK. I Spoke to you about your Glock at Columbia USPSA Sat. Are you going to be shooting STEEL CHALLENGE this weekend 6/16/12? I will be there with my SJC Open Steel G17 and G34 iron sights shooting both categories. Maybe we can squad up and talk Glocks.

Edited by sweetback

Congratulations 'SUPERDUPER' this is SWEETBACK. I Spoke to you about your Glock at Columbia USPSA Sat. Are you going to be shooting STEEL CHALLENGE this weekend 6/16/12? I will be there with my SJC Open Steel G17 and G34 iron sights shooting both categories. Maybe we can squad up and talk Glocks.

I will be there sounds good to squad up.will be shooting 22rf open and my open steel gun.see you there.

Will try to post video of stage 4 from this weekends match.