Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a gun and sticking to it.

TerryYu

I've been shooting uspsa/idpa for about a year now and can't settle down to one gun. I've shot a 1911, Glock 34, and a Beretta 92 in competition and I keep getting the itch to acquire more gun (m&p or usp).

How do I stop? I feel like swapping guns so often would be detrimental for skills development but I am always in gun collector mode.

How did you guys pick a gun to stick to, or is this not a problem and I can continue merrily acquiring more and more pistols? I suppose my checkbook is riding on this.

I'll tell you what, you sound an awful lot like me. I think it's just a love of guns in general, so you want to have a bunch around. I play a lot of golf, and have a ton of different clubs in my garage. The funny thing is that you can really only use one (gun or set of clubs) at a time, so it's not all that logical. And when you think about it, can you really become proficient on any gun when you're switching between guns with different weights and trigger actions?

For me, I stopped looking at pistols one I found one that really fits me well - much better than any other I have in my collection. However, I still get the twinge to buy a similar gun to keep at home. It must just be a sickness... :-)

I try to dedicate a "season" to one gun(division). I might shoot one or two matches using something else, but for the majority of the year I stick to one gun. I think shooting different divisions has helped me keep an open mind and learn more aspects of the game. For example, I shot production for 2 years before trying revolver last year and my trigger control and stage planning are light-years ahead of where they were when I only shot production. There's nothing wrong with trying something new, but I wouldn't switch guns every match if you want to get proficient with it.

I just shot my first match with a Single Stack, and I am going to try a few others as well to find what I really want to stick with. After that though I could see switching around causing issues if that is all you did.

I still want to try Production and Limited... Open would be super cool but not possible atm.

Well since you have the 3 guns,and i assume you have the holsters and mag pouches,then take ALL 3 out for a couple weekends and setup a classifier type couse or several skills course and shoot them all in 1 day, say 300 rounds each and see which 1 suites you the best.Then the rest of the week dry fire that gun and work on your reloads till you feel comfortable with it..At least get classified with something so you will be able to see which way you want to GROW... You can buy every type of gun made and still not be happy..

If you're not looking at the sport from the competitive aspect and more just looking at it to have fun and shoot the different guns you have, then why not shoot whatever gun you feel like shooting on any given day.

For some folks USPSA is all about competition, but for others it's all about hanging out with friends and getting to shoot. So if you fall into the latter rather then the former group, who cares if your improvement will be slowed by jumping back a forth between guns, go out and have fun.

Pick one and put in some solid practice time with it alone for say 3 months. You may find the improvement in your scores addictive. That's what happened to me. I got a new single stack rig all set up. Procrastination on load development kept my shooting production all winter. I now feel like I've hit my stride with the production gun and it's hard to put down. I'm planning to stick with it at least until I reach another performance plateau.

it is a self correcting problem, when you run out of money you will stop buying guns.... ask me how i know.

but as others have said, pick a gun that you want to shoot with and spend money on components, or spend the money you were going to spend on another gun on a reloading setup if you do not already have one.

Well I can reduce the number of guns by one temperarly. I came home from work today and picked up the Glock. I CAN'T HOLD ON TO IT! :roflol:

My hand keeps trying to slide off the front and rear and there's no "roundness" to the frame to prevent the gun from shifting to a weird grip that doesn't point straight. My support hand is trying to help but it's so flat I can't grab on to it very well.

That makes me sad. I learned how to shoot on a Glock and now I can't even hold one with a correct thumbs forward grip anymore. The 1911 on the other hand, what a perfect grip shape! Maybe I need a Hogue wraparound for my Glock cause I can't keep ahold of it!

I guess my assessment of my current guns that can compete are..

Major Powar!

Good sights

Great grip

Great trigger

Tiny mags

Slow and frequent mag changes (no magwell)

Glock 34

Great sight

Crappy grip

Great Trigger

Fast mag changes

Indestructible

Looks like it hit every branch on the way down from the ugly tree

Beretta

Crappy sights

Good grip

Crappy trigger

Hard to hit mag release

Smoooooth cycling

Edited by TerryYu

I think everybody does that when they get started. I wanted to get classified in all division so I bounced around a lot as well. Finally found my nitch in SS about 18 months in. Once you find what you enjoy though stick with it you'll go farther faster.

I've shot a 1911, Glock 34 and SV 2011. I had a lot of fun with all of them and each gives you a different challenge, I feel like I have to baby the SV whereas the Glock and 1911 I'm never affraid to just unload with.

I like to use different guns every once in a while just for a little bit of variety.

When you decide you want to quickly progess in the sport you will stick with one gun. If you only shoot one gun you can focus on sights, target aquisition, reloads, footwork and the rest without having to deal with how the gun feels and shoots differently than what you shot last time at the range. Once you've got certain things figured out and mastered you'll find the gun gets to be less of a factor.

I didn't read all of the thread but I have a bunch of guns and want to shoot them all. I am not worried about points or class or anything but the fact I can pick up ANY gun and be able to shoot it effectively.

In the next month I will shoot 3 Limited guns / 1 open / 1 production / 1 Single stack.

Like a lot of things on this forum.....the individual has to realize what he wants out of the sport....does he want to win....does he want to place ..... does he want to have fun.....or does he want to be a good shooter with whatever he picks up.....

I got in this sport at the beginning of the year and love everything about it....the people....the matches....the excitement

I want anyone out there that has ever thought about practical shooting to do it and never look back.....this is the most fun you can have out of any hobby in the world!!!

There are abbreviations like M / GM /D /A etc etc....these are the goals we set and not the effectiveness of our abilities....just a scale that has been set forth in the divisions that we shoot.....GM can be a D when it hits the fan......

Just a thought.....

Edited by OffshoreMan72

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I shoot Ltd., L-10, and Production with a 34 or 35, with the very occasional foray with my 2011 Ltd. gun. Of course, the 1911 for Single Stack, and a Dawson 2011 for Open. I shoot the Glocks the most and the Open gun the least.

I think that each of these guns teaches me something different. Production and L-10 teach you "course break-down" ("Where do I load if I only have 10 rounds?") and accuracy, especially in Production shooting Minor and because neither Division has a lot of room for make-up shots. Single-Stack does the same thing with "Eight" as the magic number. Full-race Limited and Open are where I pick up speed because I feel like I HAVE to shoot harder because it is more speed-oriented.

I've come to the conclusion (for me, at least) that it's good to switch around a little bit. It keeps me working on different skill-sets because the priorities are so much different in each Division.

I'm firmly convinced that shooting is shooting. If you give TGO a Hi-Point 9mm, he'll probably still shoot it better than 90% of us can shoot our regular kit on our best day.

So I went to the range to decide this once and for all.

XD 5.25 vs Glock 34 vs M&P Pro vs Beretta vs 1911.

I was ragging on the glock for being hard to hold, but once I got on the range and assumed my freestyle stance, the gun just settled into place. It feels like it has the lowest bore axis of any of the 9s and I can shoot it much much faster than any other 9mm. Points well, love the sights (Truglow TFOs), accurate. Bill drills are a joy with this gun. Once I get my support hand high up on the grip I feel like I can do no wrong.

Love the 1911 because it's just a big brute of a gun. Shoots major loads but puts the recoil all in the palm of my hand, very little flip and sights settle quickly. Best feeling gun in the hand.

So to conclude, thanks for the advice about the skills test. It showed very clearly that I can't shoot worth a damn unless I'm holding a Glock or a 1911. I will be focusing on the G34, the first gun I bought before I went comparison crazy. After that, I will probably shoot the 1911 in the off season as I just love the way it handles.

Master or bust with the G34 :)

Edited by TerryYu

My two game guns are a CZ TS, and a G17RTF2. I bought the CZ to get into limited without having to worry about tuning mags. I bought the G17 originally for my sister who expressed the desire to start shooting, but soon changed her mind once I received delivery. After shooting the G17, I fell in love with it. It fit my hand like a glove. It runs well, and is pretty accurate to boot. I have no desire to get another game gun until I get really good with these. I understand though if you can afford it. I just have to buy ammo components, and gun purchases just aren't in the cards.

JZ

I think if you're the kind of guy that just wants to shoot a bunch of different guns, trying to force yourself to stick to one gun is never going to leave you happy unless you end up naturally wanting to stick to one gun (maybe because it becomes obvious to you that it's the one you're best with.) Life's too short and this is all for fun. I'm new to this and I'm going to have fun with it anyway I can. If it turns out that I start getting real good at it then I'll worry about making a decision as to whether to focus on one gun. Beyond this, I got into this with a goal of being good with pistols (rather than just owning guns that sit in drawers) - I don't know how getting good with one pistol and not experiencing others with the little bit of pressure that a match brings fits into that.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried some single stack today at the local range. Boy that was embarrassing! HF of 2.3 when I'm normally around 4.5 or so with the Glock on their course.

Pretty clear to me I'm sticking to the plastic gun for awhile (or maybe it's 9mm hi cap)

I say don't choose just have fun. I think the best I have done is 4 matches with the same gun before switching, some times to a different gun in the same division some times to a different division, whatever seams like fun that day, sometimes I take 2 guns to the match and choose when I get there. in 3.5 years I have shot 15 different pistols and I will probably add 1 more to that this weekend.

I do this for fun and for me variety is the spice of life, would I be a better shooter with a gun if I stuck to it? probably but I'm having to much fun to care.

Mike

I've been shooting uspsa/idpa for about a year now and can't settle down to one gun. I've shot a 1911, Glock 34, and a Beretta 92 in competition and I keep getting the itch to acquire more gun (m&p or usp).

How do I stop? I feel like swapping guns so often would be detrimental for skills development but I am always in gun collector mode.

How did you guys pick a gun to stick to, or is this not a problem and I can continue merrily acquiring more and more pistols? I suppose my checkbook is riding on this.

Remeber what I'm about to tell you is only my humble opinion... I've been shooting USPSA for about 15 years (minus a couple year hiatus for college and being the new guy at work). I started with a Glock 17. I put almost literally a ton of ammo through it. I worked my way up from D to B with it. Once I had my B card (I know it's not a GM card or an M card but for as little as I get to shoot I'm pretty happy with it). Once I had my B card I started branching out. I picked up a 1911 for SS and a 2011 for limited and L10. I'm not saying you have to stick with just one gun, I guess what I'm saying is once you're proficient with one the skills translate with relative ease. I'm glad I had the longer trigger pull of the Glock before I started running 1911's. For one it was safer to start with and two it made me really really appreciate a good trigger a whole lot more. But thats my 2 cents, not telling you what to do just telling you what worked for me! Happy shooting