Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a gun and sticking to it.

TerryYu

I've been competing for about a year and went thru a dozen different guns - but I've settled a few that I LOVE! I started with the SIG SP2022 - a box stock factory gun and from there it was everything I wanted to get my hands on -- what I settled on was a Kimber Team Match .45ACP for CDP in IDPA and Single Stack, a Tanfoglio Limited .40 for Limited and L10 USPSA and a Tanfoglio Match Elite 9mm for ESP in IDPA. I find I shoot the 1911 platform the best so I'll be looking for a 9mm and .40 also but I'll never give up my Tanfoglio's --- they are SWEEEET!!!!

For myself, I've found that time on gun is the most important factor, and fewer guns/rifles you train on the better you get. The fewer disciplines you participate in the better. I know this goes against everything we "want" to do since we all love shooting everything we can get our hands on, and the more types of matches we attend the more shooting we can do with all of the guns in the safe. But I feel that I am being diluted across them all. Time seems to be what makes you great. Split that time over various things, the less "great" you are.

I had to pick a horse and stick with it, well sort of...I shoot USPSA, Practical Rifle, and Long Range Precision Rifle (tactical matches), so I'm not going to be good as I could be if I picked just one. I'm choosing fun over winning. But I did pick just one handgun and class, one rifle and optic, and one long gun and optic and I swear...I'm sticking with them.

As a side note, we may all have something that may need to put in the next PDR, GADD, Gun Attention Deficit Disorder.

:)

I'm currently in semi-remission and am content to shoot my G34 and occasionally my 1911 for SS/CDP. Sadly there will be a bonus in August which may cause my gunitis to come back in full force!

The CZ Shadow T is calling my name....

Terry,

Sent you a PM about the grip on your G34.

Ron

Sparky, I'm not sure what happened to my messenger when I went to reply it didn't let me. But to respond to your PM, I'm actually pretty happy with the grip on the Glock now, I bought some pro grip and it gives me that little bit "extra" to my grip.

Well I can reduce the number of guns by one temperarly. I came home from work today and picked up the Glock. I CAN'T HOLD ON TO IT! :roflol:

My hand keeps trying to slide off the front and rear and there's no "roundness" to the frame to prevent the gun from shifting to a weird grip that doesn't point straight. My support hand is trying to help but it's so flat I can't grab on to it very well.

That makes me sad. I learned how to shoot on a Glock and now I can't even hold one with a correct thumbs forward grip anymore. The 1911 on the other hand, what a perfect grip shape! Maybe I need a Hogue wraparound for my Glock cause I can't keep ahold of it!

I guess my assessment of my current guns that can compete are..

Major Powar!

Good sights

Great grip

Great trigger

Tiny mags

Slow and frequent mag changes (no magwell)

Glock 34

Great sight

Crappy grip

Great Trigger

Fast mag changes

Indestructible

Looks like it hit every branch on the way down from the ugly tree

Beretta

Crappy sights

Good grip

Crappy trigger

Hard to hit mag release

Smoooooth cycling

I guess I should post an update on what ultimately happened...

Beretta was removed from competition because I just couldn't get used to the sights being so tiny and the higher bore axis was slowing me down. That and the grip is really fat.

The 1911 got better with the purchase of a magwell and some rear sight filing. Now it reloads faster than the Glock and has some pretty quick sights. I like shooting it in IDPA and USPSA, the 8 round mags force me to do more stage planning.

Glock is well... still a Glock. I'm the most consistent with it and turn in the best times (probably due to low bore axis, 9mm, and more practice)

I also bought a revolver to play in ICORE.

Man, I would sure love a 625JM and a CZ SP01 Shadow. Luckily my finances caught up to me and I got a bit of a reality check so my gun buying spree has been stopped for now.

I tried several guns in production before I settled on the M&P. The first was a Glock 17, the 2nd a Sig 229 and last was the M&P. The gun just fits me properly and when I draw, my sights have a natural alignment. My scores quickly reflected it and I stuck with it. Pick the one you shoot best.

If you're not looking at the sport from the competitive aspect and more just looking at it to have fun and shoot the different guns you have, then why not shoot whatever gun you feel like shooting on any given day.

For some folks USPSA is all about competition, but for others it's all about hanging out with friends and getting to shoot. So if you fall into the latter rather then the former group, who cares if your improvement will be slowed by jumping back a forth between guns, go out and have fun.

Thank you. You have just justified my existance. :)

I started off shooting production with a Glock 17 and moved to Kimber in single stack. Back to Glock then to a custom built 1911 in .38 super. Now this year I am moving to Limited with a Para P18-9. I hope this will the one I settle with. Equipment for different type of guns is starting to hurt the bank.