Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BERRYS OR BAYOU

jeremy kemlo

I shoot an M&P Pro. I am currently using Berrys 147gr with 3.1gr tight group powder OAL 1.15. I was thinking of buying some Bayou 147gr bullets. My question is are there any advantages or disadvantages between the two? I like the Berrys, but I can get the Bayou bullets a little cheaper, so if they are just as good or better, I would like to give them a try. If you think Bayou would be better than Berrys would I leave the powder charge the same or do they shoot differently than the Berrys?

Thanks!

I shoot the Bayou 147s in my M&P Pro using Solo 1000 (S1K). When I first got them I loaded a few batches using Titegroup, W231, S1K, and WSF. S1K provided the lowest SD with WST close behind. TG wasn't as consistent and was dirty loaded at 130pf. It did clean up at around 135-140 pf but I'll save it for 125 FMJ loads where it works well for me.

I'd say get the Bayou bullets and load them with whatever you have on hand. They will be easier to work with and cleaner than the plated bullets.

Bayou's stink something bad. I joke with my buddy that I won't practice with him when he uses them. The smell is obviously coming from the green coating- what is it???

:blush: I tend to be sensitive to smells and I haven't noticed these bullets stinking. Maybe S1K isn't hot enough to cause it.

I have used Berry's 158gr (yes, for 9MM) and Bayou 135 and 160gr. I prefer the Bayou. I load them with VV N320 or WSF. I have loaded nearly every caliber Donny makes and I really like them a lot. As for strange odors? I have never noticed any odor. Must be a personal problem :devil:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I don't notice the smell with n320 and Bayous. I'm shooting the 200gr .40s now and like them a lot. I like them better than plated or jacketed because you can get away with using less powder. My major load uses 3.7gr of powder. I have a friend shooting 180 jacketed bullets and he needs 5.7 grains of the same powder to make major.

IT seems like the smell of the coating burning is affected by the powder (of course :rolleyes: ), but also the gun and barrel.

Friend of mine ran out of .40 bullets at a match where I was shooting my .40 and asked to borrow some. Out of my 4" Springfield XD there was no smell. Out of his 5" Glock, there was. The only difference was the gun and barrel length.

Has anyone shot the "black bullets" from precision? Any feedback vs the Bayou bullets?

I was shooting Precision Moly 147s before I went to Bayou Bullets. They smoked considerably more and I didn't like cleaning the moly residue out of my barrel.

Has anyone shot the "black bullets" from precision? Any feedback vs the Bayou bullets?

They are much dirtier on your hands to load. Other than that, I don't really notice a difference between the moly bullet manufacturers. I've used Billy Bullets, Precision and Bayou.

They are much dirtier on your hands to load. Other than that, I don't really notice a difference between the moly bullet manufacturers. I've used Billy Bullets, Precision and Bayou.

Bayou's fly faster and your gun barrel is cleaner after shooting than the Precision Bullets. When it comes to absolute accuracy 50 yards the Precison bullets have a slight advantage. I'll take either over Berries.

Thank you all for your replies. I am ordering Bayou 147gr in the morning. I have a little titegroup left. I was going to order more titegroup but a lot of people dont seem to like it. I would love to go with N320 but I really dont want to pay that much for powder. Any other options that would be a good substitute for titegroup. I am loading for uspsa production so I am looking to stay around 130 power factor. I want something that meters well, is consistent, and doesnt cost an arm and a leg like N320.

Thanks

While a few of my buddies use TG, I like Clays better :)

Clays is very economical for Production loads, burns cleaner than TG, as soft if not softer in recoil, smaller powder charges, doesn't burn as hot as TG, and doesn't 'eat' my powder drop :D

Thank you all for your replies. I am ordering Bayou 147gr in the morning. I have a little titegroup left. I was going to order more titegroup but a lot of people dont seem to like it. I would love to go with N320 but I really dont want to pay that much for powder. Any other options that would be a good substitute for titegroup. I am loading for uspsa production so I am looking to stay around 130 power factor. I want something that meters well, is consistent, and doesnt cost an arm and a leg like N320.

Thanks

So titegroup will cost maybe 0.8 cents per round and VVN320 or 330 will cost about 1.4 ...I guess I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of powder. Alot more money to be saved in cases or buying bullets & primers....and of course buying everything in bulk. :cheers:

While a few of my buddies use TG, I like Clays better :)

Clays is very economical for Production loads, burns cleaner than TG, as soft if not softer in recoil, smaller powder charges, doesn't burn as hot as TG, and doesn't 'eat' my powder drop :D

I started out with Titegroup, for 9mm, and switched to 320. I've been playing around with AA2, and so far, it seems as accurate as 320, with even less recoil, but, I've only tried it out of one gun, so far. I plan to load some more, soon, and try them in my M&P Pro, and Glocks.