Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open holster for 3 Gun

Wilsoncreek

Making the transition from TacOptic to Open in MultiGun. I have always used a full Kydex holster for my handgun for security but in moving to Open I'm wondering what my options are. I have the CR holster I use for USPSA but am uncomfortable with the multiple axis movement often required in multigun. What are you Open guys using?

I've been going back on forth and tried different things. Two that stuck out for me were the DAA racemaster and COM Kydex holster. With the Racemaster, once its locked ITS LOCKED.

. However now that I have played with it quite a bit it does have some cons. First it doesn't cover the gun at outside the trigger guard. Second, its hard to re-holster quickly, not alot of matches will let you reload hot but there are a few, also once the inside locking block gets dirty its a real PITA to re-holster. Also doesn't fit on a Safari ELS belt system.

The COM holster, is a full kydex designed for a Open gun with traditional upright C-More. Cons: No active locking device, it does use a knob to allow you to turn up the friction of the holster to the open gun, but the gun can still be Jar'd like any other Kydex non-locking holster. You'll need to take a Heat gun to mold it to your gun. The things I like about it is, it covers the full barrel up to the C-More and the whole frame up to the pistol handle. also works with a Safari ELS

So what I have come up with is.. I'll be using them both. If I find that I'm on a stage where I do alot of movement from prone running sprints and such, I'll stick with the COM. If the stage is more traditional USPSA and with a pistol start, with no shotgun. I'll use the Racemaster.

DAA RaceMaster. It's not coming out until you unlock it, which is easy to do on the draw. Unlike Doc, I find it fairly easy to re-holster and lock(which I hate), it's still a one handed affair.

As for mounting to the ELS system, I just trimmed an old Tek-Lok and made a backing plate to attach to the RM, then bolted the ELS fork to it.

DAA RaceMaster. It's not coming out until you unlock it, which is easy to do on the draw. Unlike Doc, I find it fairly easy to re-holster and lock(which I hate), it's still a one handed affair.

As for mounting to the ELS system, I just trimmed an old Tek-Lok and made a backing plate to attach to the RM, then bolted the ELS fork to it.

Could you take pic of that for me? I would like to see it.

I was in the same delima, I have 2 Ghost Holsters and a LimCat. I sold two CR Speeds, after I got my gun knocked out at two major matches while taping targets.

The Ghost is very secure when locked as is the LimCat, however the gun moves around a bit. So I bought a Double Alpha race master. If the front of the Trigger guard of the STI is not modified the gun does not move at all in the holster and it is not going to come out when locked.

The Race Master draws as nice as a Ghost or Limcat, lots of adjustments. With practice its an easy reholster without looking, and easy to lock. On the draw with the holster locked it is easy to hit the release just like the LimCat or Ghost. The only thing I don't like about it is the price.

Thanx for the info, gents. Looks like the Racemaster needs to be first on the list for research. Going to take a look at the COM, too. Kampr, could you post another pick of that modified TecLok? I think I'll probably want to construct something similar.

Dave

Alot of the guys around here use the ghost with a rubber band on the lock lever. Very secure...If the match is not too pistol intensive I will use my G34 with a Delta Point and Kydex.

Edited by THM7

Manny Bragg has created a new race holster which he is selling via the Universal Shooting Academy. It's an awesome holster and when the lock is engaged, the pistol will not come out under any circumstances. It would work well for 3 Gun as the locking lever can be set fully on, or in a "half cock" position which retains the gun fully but allows you to disengage the lock as you draw. The holster is built like a tank. I will post a picture when I am not at work.

I use a really crappy looking Kydex holster I molded for myself when shooting IMGA w/o power factor. I use an SJC Glock for that. For USPSA with PF I use a 2011 out of a Safariland 013. I like the CR Speed for a lot of things but definitely not three gun. I've seen too many guns pop out of locked CR Speed holsters. At the FNH match I watched a shooter fall over and knock his gun out of the holster. Fortunately it landed in his hand and he wasn't DQ'd. I told him after about the CR releasing guns even though locked. He proceeded to show me how that wouldn't happen smacking the butt of the gun until it fell out and landed on the ground. It didn't take long. I'm pretty sure Clint Upchurch was shooting a CR Speed at the last USPSA MG Nats when his gun hit the dirt as well.

I have used the ghost and guga ribas in the past. Then saw an SL3 holster at a match hannu was wearing. Awesome holster, rock solid. Problem is I don't think you can buy them anywhere in the country. I had Hannu pick me one up when he went to Finland. Best holster I have ever used.

I use a SpeedSec holster for limited and open in both USPSA matches and 3-gun. I get to use one holster for everything I shoot with multiple guns. The thing I like best about this rig is that the gun is locked and not going any place until you actually draw. I unlock the holster on the draw and have had a few occasions where re-holstering hot was required and worked out fine. I find this setup to be solid and also doesn't break the bank. I'm a big fan of keeping gear simple and not changing things anymore than absolutely necessary.

Here's a quick picture of this holster at work in a 3-gun match. As you can see I'm a finely tuned athletic machine. lol...

RustyMay20113gunatOldFortgunclubArkansas00356-182.jpg

I used a heavily modified Blade-Tec when I shot open. It was snug enough to keep the gun in place including the Ironman with all its prone positions (gun unloaded of course), running and reholstering. Mine didn't have a dropped and offset bracket, it was high and tight on my belt keeping it out of the way of shotgun stick and such. On the draw it's only a few tenths slower than a full race rig.

I wouldn't use a skeletonized race holster for 3-gun.

I am a very firm believer in the COM for my Trubor with an Camron side mount for my CMore. Very secure and protects the pistol for 3 gun! I have yet to hear of any DQs using the COM holster on an open pistol. Hell, Jerry M uses one too.

Now does any one know what holster Jerry (tattoo man) was wearing at the SMM3G last week? He was DQd because of his pistol falling out!

I really don't believe the speed of the holster in Multigun is really that important...

Just my .02 anyhow,

Sincerely,

Scott

I am a very firm believer in the COM for my Trubor with an Camron side mount for my CMore. Very secure and protects the pistol for 3 gun! I have yet to hear of any DQs using the COM holster on an open pistol. Hell, Jerry M uses one too.

Now does any one know what holster Jerry (tattoo man) was wearing at the SMM3G last week? He was DQd because of his pistol falling out!

I really don't believe the speed of the holster in Multigun is really that important...

Just my .02 anyhow,

Sincerely,

Scott

I will definitely agree with the notion that a speed holster is not vital to 3-gun performance. My use of the SpeedSec is due to the fact that I use the same holster for everything, not necessarily because I think it's extra fast but becuase it fits all of my competetive pistols. I also believe that this is holster is secure otherwise I would not be using it. I am a big fan of similar gear as often as it's possible.

Just my .02 anyhow,

Sincerely,

Scott

There was one Person who did DQ with a COM holster on stage 2 this year, as he lifted his rifle the buttstock caught the pistol and ripped it right out. Also, Jerry M. Is no longer running a COM holster, unless its a new style of COM without its badging, its still a full kydex holster. But form fitted for his pistol. but with that being said I've seen one and heard of another CR speed holster dropping a pistol during the match when they were "locked"

I saw one open shooter at SMM3G get DQed after having his loaded pistol fall out of his COM holster while running, my understanding was that he tended to run the retention level pretty light.

I usually use a bladetech DOH for my STI in tactical since it’s so easy to move around on the belt. I would much rather use my racemaster but the belt mounting takes too long to adjust/remove/install. Don’t like the ELS system because I don’t always want the pistol in the same place. If there’s no crouching/kneeling/prone I mount the holster forward closer to where I like it for USPSA, for prone I mount it further back behind the centerline. I should see if there’s a good way to mount the racemaster to a teclok mount.

I use a Blade-Tech WRS holster with a retention hood. My open gun for Multigun is an M&P with a Deltapoint milled into the slide. The hood is tall enough that when it rotates forward it clears the scope easily. With a hood on the holster I can do somersaults, cartwheels, backflips and trip and tumble over props and there is NO chance of the gun coming out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...