Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firebird MKA 1919

ken hebert

I cant explain why, but some of the early mags just refuse to work reliably

The current MKA mags seem to be quite a bit better

If the mag has a notch in the rear spine, at the bottom, its an early mag

The new mags also have a plastic bolt lock

Jim

When Yancy and I compared factory mags at SMM3G I think we found at least three, maybe even four, different versions between us :)

I don't think this is appropriate subject matter to be sharing on BE, maybe you two should get a room and keep it to yourselves :roflol:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim

When Yancy and I compared factory mags at SMM3G I think we found at least three, maybe even four, different versions between us :)

I don't think this is appropriate subject matter to be sharing on BE, maybe you two should get a room and keep it to yourselves :roflol:

Hey now, why cant two good looking guys compare the length and size of their mags at the range without getting snide remarks? :angry2:

Keep your mag envy to yourself... :P

Edited by gose

Jim

Hey now, why cant two good looking guys compare the length and size of their mags at the range without getting snide remarks? :angry2:

bay area guys :sight:

Jim

Oh craig, don't worry you still have a nicely sized mag. ;)

Ok, Chuck you win...I'm with you on the 16 rounders. I still say skip the 12 rounders for now in favor of the bigger mag.

In terms of reliability and springs and such...Take a look at the European IPSC shotgun guys... many of them have 15 to 20 round box mags that run pretty darn well. If they can do it, I'm sure we can too.

Was not aware of that. Can you source a link for exactly what they are using? Thanks!

My 20 round mag works great, too bad it only fits a Saiga!

Doug

Doug,

The Akdal 10 rnd metal mags are just too much work and not enough capacity. I am testing out

the super reliable Saiga 20 rnd drum conversion for an Akdal and hope to have one going to the

USPSA Nats April 12-14 for you and Scott to shoot.....then onto the Texas State MG April 20-22,

and finally the Colorado State MG April 27-29

Bill Sahlberg

Higher Capacity

• 4 weeks later...

The Akdal 10 rnd metal mags are just too much work and not enough capacity. I am testing out

the super reliable Saiga 20 rnd drum conversion for an Akdal and hope to have one going to the

USPSA Nats April 12-14 for you and Scott to shoot.....then onto the Texas State MG April 20-22,

Bill Sahlberg

Higher Capacity

Did this see the light of day yet?

Bill Sahlberg

Higher Capacity

Did this see the light of day yet?

Damn. I knew I forgot something. I saw Bill on stage 8 at Texas multigun and totally forgot to ask him about the mags.

• 1 month later...

Any news on anyone getting the saiga drum to work on the 1919?

My gut feeling is that there would be an announcement if that was the case, so I doubt it.. but an update would be nice :)

Any news on anyone getting the saiga drum to work on the 1919?

My gut feeling is that there would be an announcement if that was the case, so I doubt it.. but an update would be nice :)

Bill Sahlberg ("higher capacity") has a prototype running, but I haven't seen one in the wild yet.

• 1 month later...

The first batch of gen 2 mags have shipped to anodize :)

The second batch is on the machine

I cant wait to get the whole supply chain for our parts up to demand levels :wacko:

Jim

I realize I'm late to the party here, but is there any word on whether the price will come down?

Thanks!

My 2 Gen 2 mags run walmart bulk pack perfectly and runs slugs just fine. I got my other 2 Gen 2 mags this week, along with the shell stop and coupling hardware. Been in the hospital for a few days with a rotten gall bladder so I dont see me shooting a shotgun for another week or so. Hope to do a function check as soon as I get back up to speed and verify they new ones with the upgraded springs will also run the pheasant loads for heavy steel.

Edited by Kent Grewe

Anyone know for sure what the required US-made parts count is for this shotgun to run high-capacity mags? Everything I've read on the internets says four, but one of the companies selling aftermarket parts says five.

I've got the trigger, disconnector, gas piston, and plan to use the US made mag floorplates as my fourth parts.

Does that make sense?

Just a quick update - I got my Firebird Akdal two weeks ago (thanks Nanci!) and spent last week running a bunch of stuff through it. Based on their recommendation, I ran a bunch of full-power ammo (buck, etc) and then started switching to my normal match loads. Ran roughly 400 rounds through it and by the end of the day it was running flawlessly, with me doing nothing but loading the mags and pulling the trigger.

Running so well, in fact, that I decided to "take a chance" and run it at the NW Multigun Challenge last weekend in Oregon. Happy to report that the shotgun only hiccupped once - it failed to completely eject one of my puff-load slugs (Fiocchi Aero 7/8-oz). A squirt of lube onto the bolt pathway and it was 100% for the rest of the match, running Winchester AA 1-1/8oz #7-1/2 loads.

VERY happy with this thing. No mag problems, no ammo pukes, totally happy with the way it ran.

$.02

Just a quick update - I got my Firebird Akdal two weeks ago (thanks Nanci!) and spent last week running a bunch of stuff through it. Based on their recommendation, I ran a bunch of full-power ammo (buck, etc) and then started switching to my normal match loads. Ran roughly 400 rounds through it and by the end of the day it was running flawlessly, with me doing nothing but loading the mags and pulling the trigger.

Running so well, in fact, that I decided to "take a chance" and run it at the NW Multigun Challenge last weekend in Oregon. Happy to report that the shotgun only hiccupped once - it failed to completely eject one of my puff-load slugs (Fiocchi Aero 7/8-oz). A squirt of lube onto the bolt pathway and it was 100% for the rest of the match, running Winchester AA 1-1/8oz #7-1/2 loads.

VERY happy with this thing. No mag problems, no ammo pukes, totally happy with the way it ran.

$.02

So, you ran 400 round through it, and then ran it in a match, without tearing it down and cleaning it? :surprise:

$.02

So, you ran 400 round through it, and then ran it in a match, without tearing it down and cleaning it? :surprise:

He may not have , But I have.

I'll let you know how long it goes.

:cheers:

Ran roughly 400 rounds through it and by the end of the day it was running flawlessly, with me doing nothing but loading the mags and pulling the trigger.

That's correct. I've wiped the gunk out of the receiver with a shop rag, lubed the areas where the bolt rides, and run a bore-snake through it a couple of times. That's it, so far.

That's impressive!

I ran about 100, and when I cleaned it, it was full of aluminum shavings. I THOUGHT I had the rough spots polished out, but only got another 50-75 rounds through it and had to do it again.

I have 50-75 through it and it feels ok. I plan on taking it to the trap/skeet range tomorrow to see if I can get at least another 100 through it, without it acting up.

What is you guys lube of choice? I am using break free and when I reassemble I also use some white moly-lube in the rail and bolt. Add drops of break free before a match. I'm going 300+ I think between cleanings and will do it again a couple weeks befor RockCastle.