Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Golden Rules of Reloading

benos

A phone conversation with a customer today sparked the idea for this.

I'll start - please add to the list.

NEVER be in a hurring while reloading. This applies equally to those setting up their first reloading press and to those have cranked out hundreds of thousands of rounds over the years.

Always wear saftey glasses. And not just when pulling the handle - wear them whenever you are in your reloading room.

When you feel even the slightest change or difference during any part of a reloading cycle, STOP - and investigate until you find what caused the problem.

A phone conversation with a customer today sparked the idea for this.

I'll start - please add to the list.

NEVER be in a hurring while reloading. This applies equally to those setting up their first reloading press and to those have cranked out hundreds of thousands of rounds over the years.

Always wear saftey glasses. And not just when pulling the handle - wear them whenever you are in your reloading room.

When you feel even the slightest change or difference during any part of a reloading cycle, STOP - and investigate until you find what caused the problem.

4. Be sure, you know exactly what powder your using.

Be aware of wear parts and routine mantenence required on your machine.

I had a primer detonation due to a worn out primer tube tip. Turns out those should be replaced every10k rounds. When I called Dillon to replace it, they said that part had not been sold in 5 years and was replaced by an upgraded part. I did not know that was a wear item - my fault.

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I had a primer detonation due to a worn out primer tube tip. Turns out those should be replaced every10k rounds. When I called Dillon to replace it, they said that part had not been sold in 5 years and was replaced by an upgraded part. I did not know that was a wear item - my fault.

6. Eliminate all distractions. Reloading requires your full, undivided attention.

Always double check even if you are "sure"

Start each loading session from Step 1 clean the bench settle the mind ...

1 caliber, 1 bullet, 1 can powder on bench at any 1 time

TAKE NOTES ! ! human memory has proven unsatisfactory and unreliable for this aspect of the hobby in particular and shooting sports in general when was the last time you "brain-faded" ? get a notebook

Take care of any honey-do's well before the session and take time to explain to other half this needs to be done with as few disruptions as possible

John

6. Eliminate all distractions. Reloading requires your full, undivided attention.

+1

Don't think that you can reload while pretending to listen to what the wife is saying....

I'm guilty of this rule: Always label your reloads with date loaded, bullet, powder, etc.

keep a log book--I can see what I loaded 5 years ago and what powder I used--

This is the rule (that should always be) at the top of the list.... IMHO...

Load 100 rounds (one primer tube's worth) at a time, into an empty catch bin. Only when you're sure that those 100 are OK, using whatever QC measures you deem appropriate, should you dump those 100 in with the rest of the ammo you've loaded for the session.

For those who aren't, ah, fully automated, remember your P's:

P-ick up the bullet and/or unsized case.

P-eek at the P-owder in the case to be loaded.

P-lace the bullet on the case (and the unsized case into the shellplate).

P-ull (or, depending on the model, P-ush) the handle.

And repeat ad nauseum.

I'm guilty of this rule: Always label your reloads with date loaded, bullet, powder, etc.

keep a log book--I can see what I loaded 5 years ago and what powder I used--always check powder drop

I store my powder away from my bench, and have only the jug for the powder that is in the press on the bench. An awcrap of realizing you just trashed a jug of powder by pouring a mismatched powder into it is exceeded only by the complications of not noticing such a mistake until you get to the range.

• 2 weeks later...

Check Powder Scale calibration at the start of loading session.

Let electronic scale warm up if necessary.

Insure that electronic scale is not affected by lighting fixtures.

Insure that scale is not affected by any room fans.

Check powder drop at the beginning of each session.

If checking mid session, be sure to put powder back in the case before returning case to the press.

If you see a charge of powder still in the scale's powder pan sometime later, there is a good chance that there is a squib in the batch. (ask me how know this) :rolleyes: