Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you use anything between 1X and MAX?

Nuke8401

Just wondering if anyone normally uses any settings in between 1X and Max?

I basically use 1X out to 100 yds and go to 3x (Leupold CQT) for anything farther or requiring the BDC.

Just seems like it would be slow to stop in between with little to no benefit?

David E.

It depends on the stage. I generally use 1x for close range stages 25 yards or less. I use 3x for stages 50 yards 200 or so and 6x past 200 yards. Some times though I will pick a power based on the stage and run with it. I had a stage where the shots were all close but there was a few head shots with no shoot targets in front of them. I dialed the scope up to 2x for that. I have used 4x on 100 yard stages where I wanted more field of view than 6x offered but wanted a bit more power on those small pesky poppers than 3x offered.

Pat

Been shooting an Elcan Spectre DR 1x or 4x since December. I've never found it to be a hindrance.

One time, I shot a stage that had 20 very closely spaced paper targets at 70-100 yards. It was the only time I could have used an intermediate power but I just shot it all on 1X which eliminated any FOV problems.

I was shooting a Prismatic 1x before this so I'm happy to have any zoom. :lol:

Edited by DyNo!

Some people do. I've forgotten to adjust my scope back to 1X from about 2.5X, and not found it problematic at all. It's like the adage about shoot scoped with the covers closed and the reticle illumination on. With two eyes open, you can make the hits.

Field of View is the governing factor for me. On a berm 3 Gun stage with a 80m range I like the lower powers 3-4 so I can see all the targets down range.

On a field course with targets 50-100 yards apart, but the close targets being out 220-400 yards, I use the higher powers.

• 4 weeks later...

Some members, with either the member group: Classified, or Classifieds - have reported that they were not allowed to vote in this forum's poll.

Did any of that posted in this thread (with Classified or Classifieds member group) have any trouble voting in the poll?

Some members, with either the member group: Classified, or Classifieds - have reported that they were not allowed to vote in this forum's poll.

Did any of that posted in this thread (with Classified or Classifieds member group) have any trouble voting in the poll?

All OK with me....

It wouldn't let me vote.

Sometimes I shoot stages which require little or no CQB, while also not having anything long range. If all of my rifle targets are between 25 and about 150yds, I will often run 2x. In this case, 2x will give me just enough magnification to be helpfull and still offer a wide FOV. I don't consider continuous variability a deal breaker for an optic though. If the scope were complimentary to my needs in most other ways, I would learn to work with a 1x-4x only scope.

It wouldn't let me vote.

Same here

I use 2x quite a bit if the targets have some distance but i still want the FOV

This!

I never really paid attention to where it is at, exactly. I usually try to get a sight picture if allowed and zoom up from 1x until I have the FOV that I like. I didn't do so hot starting at 4x on one stage and learned that lesson the hard-way.

Worked for me.