Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good "Forgiving" Powder for Newbie .45 & 9mm Progressive

Steve D.

Hello Gents (& Ladies if you're present),

I would be eager to hear any thoughts regarding selection of an accurate "forgiving" powder that will work well in .45 ACP and 9mm for a brand new reloader (me) to use in a progressive press. I guess this is a "training-wheels" question as I know some powders will Bite you if you screw-up by a very small margin (particularly in small-frame 9mm automatics).

I am thinking 124 Gr. jacketed and 200 gr. jacketed in the bullets...no plans for lead. Clean-Burning is probably a preference to recoil characteristics.

I will have very good measuring / metering equipment and I am pretty anal-retentive about deatils and precission whenever I do anything mechanical / fabrication (which think will help)...

Many parts already coming for new precision AR build in 5.56 / .223 so will soon be striving to make near-match-grade ammo for this thing too.

All Comers Welcome..

Steve

I'm sorry. I'm in the "Unique is dirty camp" but with a caveat. If you shoot outdoors, it's not as big an issue. If you shoot indoors on the other hand, keep your gear behind you.

Try shooting indoors, in a shooting booth. Place a target face down in front of you on the table, and if you can, sweep away the brass in front of the booth. After about 10 or 20 shots, I've noticed a distinct spray of black stuff on the target and on the floor in front of me. Try to brush it away, and it just smudges and sticks to stuff. In the gun itself, there is a fine thin even distribution of carbon.

Is Unique like Silhouette? Does it perform best when at major power factors for it to burn completely?

I got most of my experience reloading with TiteGroup, and like it. It meters quite well and feels predictable. The downside for a beginner though is that it tends to have low drop volumes for common loads, so you'll have to be careful to look in the case to make sure there is some powder, as well as, there is no obvious warning that you did a double charge.

Some people advise beginners to start with a powder such that it fills most of the case to make it easy to spot if there is powder in the case, as well as, make the case overflow in case of a double charge.

I see a lot of people have listed their "preferred" powder, but the OP asked for the most forgiving powder for a newbie on a Progressive press. At least half the powders listed are NOT in the category. :surprise:

My personal preference related to your question would be WSF, Unique, and 231 (in that order). I have no problem with Power Pistol, but you do get a lot of flash and bang! You can add "forgiving" insurance by avoiding loading at or near max or below min recommended loads.

Since they reformulated Unique a few years ago it's not as dirty as it was. It is very reliable for every caliber. I even use it in my .38 shorts and have no problem making 120 pf without going over publised data. 3;8 is listed as max with a 158 grain bullet and I make minor with 3.3 grains.

If you can't find Unique, Clays Universal is just about identical to it on the load charts. It is what I started out with and fills the case up more so than the faster burning powders. The slower burning powders are friendly on pressures, but have more muzzle flash and report, along with more felt recoil.

Once my beginner's phase was over after noting the boring reliability and repeatability of my Horndady LNL press, I felt confident in switching to some of the faster powders to reduce recoil and muzzle flash. I now use regular Clays for my 230gr .45 loading. This load has my fellow competitors teasing me about my loads being "mouse farts" due to the noticeably lower report as compared to store bought ammo. I sure fooled them when we had an informal after match chrono check and my "mouse fart" load was making 172pf!

Thank everyone for your input.

Tonight I will start dropping charges in cases with the making of my first rounds ever. I ended up going with W231 and Bullseye for the first two pounds of "training-wheels" powder. I think I will probably end-up with Tightgroup eventually as it seems to be so overwhelmingly used here with very experienced reloaders & competitive shooters.

Steve