Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good "Forgiving" Powder for Newbie .45 & 9mm Progressive

Steve D.

Woops..I guess I did it backwards then..

I loaded 100 rnds. on Saturday Night and shot'em on Sunday. Nothing blew-up and all the bullets flew straight. One box was with 5.1 of BE with 200 Hornady flat-point HAP and secong box was 5.7 BE with same bullets. Brought along my LAST purchased box of Fed. Am-Eagle 230 hardball for a "control"

5.1 Softer than Federal, 5.7 a little hotter than Federal and no discernable difference in accuracy of different rounds from my HK-USP. I am no tournament marksman, however, so I am sure some of the dead-eyes here would be able to see a difference.

Very gratifying to roll & smoke your own... Hornady LNL AP was super! Using Dillon dies from Brian living in wrong-colored press and for a dead-beginner everything went really well.

Now look out CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington (etc.), I'm about to start turnin' out some ammo...ha, ha.

Next batch WILL be with W231 to see the difference in burn residue, felt recoil, etc.

SD

• 2 weeks later...

Not much published data for it in 9mm, but WST is real popular for 9mm and .45acp.

WST is excellent in the 45 with 200gr as it is in 40. Search will help you find some loads, I don't use jacketed in 45 but my moly bullets take 4.7gr WST. I've used WST in 9 mm and I think there are much better powders for 9mm jacketed bullets. N320 is the best in 124gr Jaketed 9 mm... Imr7625 is also a good shooting load in 9 mm and talk about forgiving, if you happen to dump an extra grain in no biggie. IMR7625 minor with 125gr 4.5 to 4.7gr, but I've loaded up to 7.2gr for major no issues other than there are better powders for 9 major.

N320 also works well in the 45,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...