Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does one get a sponsor?

ceejayex

One of the bigger sponsors around, Rudy Project, used to post here that they were looking for shooters to join their "squad". I have not seen this in a while though. They expected you to represent them well and be a walking talking billboard which does not always sit well with people, me included.

I shoot in the summer with some guys who are sponsored by a realtor of all things. He knows these guys get around to a lot of matches so they wear his logo on their shirts.

Sponsorship takes many forms. Some include a lot while others include very little. I wear a shirt from a company that gives me good deals on purchases when they can. That's good enough for me because I like the company and the guys who work there. They are huge supporters of the shooting sports.

In return I steer shooters towards them for purchases and conduct myself professionally when I am on or off the range.

Now as for true sponsorships, of which there are not many, all you have to do is make a name for yourself by winning some major events and get noticed by the right people.

It is important for me to be affiliated with a company that you truly believe in not just somebody who will hand you a shirt and expect you to promote every brand on the shirt.

Sarge, you mentioned sponsorship from a reality firm, which reminds me of a thought I have had many times. A sponsor could be pretty much any person, company or organization. A sponsor does not have to be shooting or outdoor related at all! Just look back at NASCAR . . . I will never forget the day I saw Tide on the side of a race car! I believe it was Darrel Waltrip's car??

Today race cars are really fast billboards, and companies the likes of McDonalds, Subway, Office Depot, Hooters and even candy companies spend huge amounts of money on just such advertising.

Me? I'm holding out for a condom sponsorship :roflol:

...I will never forget the day I saw Tide on the side of a race car! I believe it was Darrel Waltrip's car??

Yep, that was (primarily) DW in the late 80's then Ricky Rudd from '91 to '99 I think. I think Craven was in after that? Tide got out around '05 or so.

I remember reading they saw a huge boost in sales after they got into racing.

How does a shooter get a sponsor? Besides the obvious of shooting well.. Go to the big matches? Send them videos of your shooting skills? AND..once sponsored what is expected of you?

Any advice is appreciated.

First, find a product that you truly like and believe in, then buy it. If it's a good as you thought it was, tell EVERYONE who will listen to you about it, show it to them, let them try it and so on. Then after you turned a lot of people onto the product and the potential sponsor learns you've been working hard at promoting them on your own, they may offer you a sponsorship. At least that is how is happened for me....I'm not a GM or even a Master. But I love Infinity pistols and I've helped sell a bunch of them, because I believe in the product and the people/Company.

IMHO, it will work better if you use/love the product first,, not the other way around.

My company sponsors me (sort of). I don't expect any increase in work from me wearing a shirt with our logo but hey - can't hurt... If you want a sponsor I would talk to companies that cater to males between the ages of 25 to 65 with disposable income. May actually be a good way to grow the sport if we start getting non-firearms related companies involved.

*Shoot first, worry about the sponsors later. Only a small percent of shooters make a living doing this so you might as well have some fun.

*Believe in what you want to represent.

*Carry yourself with class and dignity. (set the example on and off the range)

*Be available for people to talk too concerning the product you wish to represent.

* Be active.

* Have FUN!

I feel if you do these things, and do them well, sponsors tend to come to you. And if not....have fun anyway!

:cheers:

How does a shooter get a sponsor? Besides the obvious of shooting well.. Go to the big matches? Send them videos of your shooting skills? AND..once sponsored what is expected of you?

Any advice is appreciated.

First, find a product that you truly like and believe in, then buy it. If it's a good as you thought it was, tell EVERYONE who will listen to you about it, show it to them, let them try it and so on. Then after you turned a lot of people onto the product and the potential sponsor learns you've been working hard at promoting them on your own, they may offer you a sponsorship. At least that is how is happened for me....I'm not a GM or even a Master. But I love Infinity pistols and I've helped sell a bunch of them, because I believe in the product and the people/Company.

IMHO, it will work better if you use/love the product first,, not the other way around.

This one!

*Shoot first, worry about the sponsors later. Only a small percent of shooters make a living doing this so you might as well have some fun.

*Believe in what you want to represent.

*Carry yourself with class and dignity. (set the example on and off the range)

*Be available for people to talk too concerning the product you wish to represent.

* Be active.

* Have FUN!

I feel if you do these things, and do them well, sponsors tend to come to you. And if not....have fun anyway!

:cheers:

And this one.

To which I'll add.

For me (and this will be my second year of sponsorship) I too have promoted that which I use and believe in and THEN got some help.

I put myself out there to answer question on the game and any products I use (and some I don't)

I answer somewhere near 25 emails a week.

I write article for magazines

I write articles for Web publications.

I have done videos for my sponsors.

I have been on TV over the last two years about a dozen times with product placement on my shirts.

Only 3 or 4 guys come close to making a living at this. For me with travel expenses alone over $18K for the 2011 season I may never break even.

Yes, yes , yes it helps! And I am thankful daily for the privilege.

But one should not expect to show up and a year or two into playing the game expect ANYTHING from anyone.

I am an overnight success after competing in a half dozen disciplines for over 25 years!

Bottom line...you got to pay your dues and unless you are nothing less than awesome at every match you shoot, and even then if you

can't carry yourself as a stand-up guy, you'll not last long.

Best

Patrick

deleted - Admin.

I think Trace Mcdonald, hit the nail on the head. with his post. he bought an sv gun, loves the company, made an impression with sv, by selling a few guns for them, and they sponsored him. You don't neccessary have to be a top shooter to be a sponsored shooter. You just have to be a great ambassador for the company that sponsors you. And must be a professional on and off the field. Trace is a perfect example.

Edited by Flexmoney

deleted -Admin

I think Trace Mcdonald, hit the nail on the head. with his post. he bought an sv gun, loves the company, made an impression with sv, by selling a few guns for them, and they sponsored him. You don't neccessary have to be a top shooter to be a sponsored shooter. You just have to be a great ambassador for the company that sponsors you. And must be a professional on and off the field. Trace is a perfect example.

Thanks Sean! :blush:

Edited by Flexmoney

Somebody asked Rob Leatham about this at the second AMU Junior Camp. His answer went something like this:

"The number one thing is character. You may be a national-class GM, but that matters little if you're also a national class a-hole. Number two is product representation. Good shooting comes next".

It does no good if the Glock team is shooting nothing but SJC open G17s when to the average guy can't figure out what that Buck Rogers-looking thing is. Robby shooting an XDM 5.25 with a 3# trigger is representing Springfield a whole lot better than if he shot an Open gun that looked more like an STI.

Sarge, you mentioned sponsorship from a reality firm, which reminds me of a thought I have had many times. A sponsor could be pretty much any person, company or organization. A sponsor does not have to be shooting or outdoor related at all! Just look back at NASCAR . . . I will never forget the day I saw Tide on the side of a race car! I believe it was Darrel Waltrip's car??

Today race cars are really fast billboards, and companies the likes of McDonalds, Subway, Office Depot, Hooters and even candy companies spend huge amounts of money on just such advertising.

Me? I'm holding out for a condom sponsorship :roflol:

In my opinion, "real" money won't hit shooting athletes unless and until the major sponsorships start coming from outside the shooting sports -- Tide, Target, M&M's, etc. That's when it "blows up."