Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it legal to paint or mark the inside of the magwell?

dravz

Is it legal to paint or mark the inside of a gun's magwell in any way? This would be to quicken the ability of the eyes to find the magwell on reloads.

I have half a mind that it's illegal in Production, but not sure.

Thanks.

Is it legal to paint or mark the inside of a gun's magwell in any way? This would be to quicken the ability of the eyes to find the magwell on reloads.

I have half a mind that it's illegal in Production, but not sure.

Thanks.

When an RO taps you on the shoulder and starts the conversation with "WELCOME TO OPEN", you will know for sure.

Bill

I'm a bit of a newb, but I've been training to reload without looking at the magwell, or pulling the gun back down from a firing position. Should I be looking at the magwell?

You're doing it wrong, at least from a compeition perspective. The fastest guys don't specifically look at the magwell, but they do bring the gun in from extension and have it in front of their face. Have you ever seen anyone thread a needle with the needle and thread at full arms extension? There's a reason for that. The way I teach is to bring the gun back to a consistent position with the gun hand elbow against the rib cage and gun up in front of the face. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

I'm a bit of a newb, but I've been training to reload without looking at the magwell, or pulling the gun back down from a firing position. Should I be looking at the magwell?

You're doing it wrong, at least from a compeition perspective.

:mellow: I hear that alot. sigh.

The fastest guys don't specifically look at the magwell, but they do bring the gun in from extension and have it in front of their face. Have you ever seen anyone thread a needle with the needle and thread at full arms extension? There's a reason for that. The way I teach is to bring the gun back to a consistent position with the gun hand elbow against the rib cage and gun up in front of the face. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I have something else to practice. I still don't see how I could possibly look inside the magwell without turning the gun sideways and slowing to a crawl, but bringing the gun back and keeping it high makes sense, and as you push it back out on-target, site acquisition is probably happening on the way, just like when presenting from the draw. :cheers:

You're doing it wrong, at least from a compeition perspective.

:mellow: I hear that alot. sigh.

The fastest guys don't specifically look at the magwell, but they do bring the gun in from extension and have it in front of their face. Have you ever seen anyone thread a needle with the needle and thread at full arms extension? There's a reason for that. The way I teach is to bring the gun back to a consistent position with the gun hand elbow against the rib cage and gun up in front of the face. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I have something else to practice. I still don't see how I could possibly look inside the magwell without turning the gun sideways and slowing to a crawl, but bringing the gun back and keeping it high makes sense, and as you push it back out on-target, site acquisition is probably happening on the way, just like when presenting from the draw. :cheers:

For the reload drift: see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GsmUzSBaUQ

And then back on topic, if you don't want to wade through the 10 pages of discussion, here's the NROI ruling that says no paint in the magwell: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=47

If this isnt fixed by the next nationals, I think every registered production shooter should paint their magwell as kind of an active boycot. That would get the BOD's attention. Aaaaah, that would probably never happen....

If this isnt fixed by the next nationals, I think every registered production shooter should paint their magwell as kind of an active boycot. That would get the BOD's attention. Aaaaah, that would probably never happen....

If I could get every Production shooter to agree to that, I'd enter in Production and win by default.

• 1 month later...

NROI ruling, listed on the USPSA website under "Cosmetic Finishes revisited"

Cosmetic finishes revisited

Created: 3/24/11

Updated: 4/05/11

Effective: 4/05/11

Rule Number: Appendix D4 Item

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling Authority: DNROI

Question:

Can I paint a dot or arrow inside the magwell of my production handgun for a reference point and paint an arrow or stripes on my slide to help with alignment?

Answer:

No, a competitor may not paint dots, stripes or anything to help them reload or align sights quicker, cosmetic finishes only as per 21.2a "this clause is now interpreted to specifically allow refinishing the frame as well as the slide, subject to the existing constraints on refinishing (cosmetic only, no competitive advantage). Item 22 also goes on to say that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications may not be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation which specifically declares that it is allowed.

If I could get every Production shooter to agree to that, I'd enter in Production and win by default.

I'll do it if you'll do it.....

but you gotta do it first.....:roflol:

Edited by steel1212

Get in touch with YOUR Area Director and let her know your thoughts on this. FWIW.