Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Buffer spring WOES, need help

DocMedic

Long story short: Built a new rifle, using a Carbine length Buffer tube, Bought a JP Buffer spring for a Carbine. Received it in the mail, it looked a bit too long, but packaging states CARBINE. Put it in the rifle, and the rifle barely cycles with Gas block completely OPEN. Only way I was able to get it to run 100% was by throwing a suppressor on it. Had couple people cycle the action and they also feel that its over sprung.

So Can someone with a Carbine length JP buffer spring do me a favor and measure it and post it here or PM me please. Thank you.

Long story short: Built a new rifle, using a Carbine length Buffer tube, Bought a JP Buffer spring for a Carbine. Received it in the mail, it looked a bit too long, but packaging states CARBINE. Put it in the rifle, and the rifle barely cycles with Gas block completely OPEN. Only way I was able to get it to run 100% was by throwing a suppressor on it. Had couple people cycle the action and they also feel that its over sprung.

So Can someone with a Carbine length JP buffer spring do me a favor and measure it and post it here or PM me please. Thank you.

Um, they don't work too well in the carbine version. While they "say" it is plus 10%, it is more like plus 25% based on what I can tell. When you do finally get it to run, you will need a Titanium firing pin to keep it from slam firing also. Mine is 11.5" long.

Um, they don't work too well in the carbine version. While they "say" it is plus 10%, it is more like plus 25% based on what I can tell. When you do finally get it to run, you will need a Titanium firing pin to keep it from slam firing also. Mine is 11.5" long.

Ugh, Is it possible to just cut it a couple coils? or should I just order a different spring?

Ugh, Is it possible to just cut it a couple coils? or should I just order a different spring?

I just think they are too stiff for the carbine length tubes.

I hate to use the word impossible but... It is mechanically impossible for an AR-15 to slam fire as a result of firing pin momentum. The firing pin is not long enough to protrude through the breach face until the bolt is locked. The forward momentum of the bolt is stopped by the chambered cartridge before it can lock.

I hate to use the word impossible but... It is mechanically impossible for an AR-15 to slam fire as a result of firing pin momentum. The firing pin is not long enough to protrude through the breach face until the bolt is locked. The forward momentum of the bolt is stopped by the chambered cartridge before it can lock.

I hate to use the word "experience", but....you are mistaken.

I can demonstrate, by EXPERIENCE, that firing pin momentum can be and has been responsible for "slam fire" events in AR pattern guns. It is decoupled from bolt momentum, which, by the way, is not "stopped by the chambered cartridge before it can lock"....(???)

Experience.....gather it, learn from it, love it.

....and some technical expertise might not hurt either...

ericm

Are you confusing out of battery ignition w/ slam fire?

Edited by Bryan 45

I can demonstrate, by EXPERIENCE, that firing pin momentum can be and has been responsible for "slam fire" events in AR pattern guns. It is decoupled from bolt momentum, which, by the way, is not "stopped by the chambered cartridge before it can lock"....(???)

ericm

I hate to even ask this but are there any videos on this? I have heard about this for years but never seen it and want to learn more and hopefully not experience it :)

Thanks

ericm

I would love to see it demonstrated. As for experience, I guess I don't have enough.

Mark Gale

Armorer / Machinist

Specialized Armament

(480) 940-7397

Edited by Mark Gale

ericm

I would love to see it demonstrated. As for experience, I guess I don't have enough.

Mark Gale

Armorer / Machinist

Specialized Armament

(480) 940-7397

Please start a new Slamfire thread in this forum, stating your original premise, and let the OP get his problem answered....

I'm sure many with experience and expertise will weigh in...

Eric Miller, P.E.

B.S.M.E

MEA Engineering, LLC

ericm

little gnomes that live in my BCG use hammers to pre-dent my primers, so that when the fp does hit it, they go off. Its an option on some newer rifles.

Edited by mike cyrwus

I am using a JP Carbine buffer spring in an UBR stock with no problems. I am away from home so I can't measure, but I am sure if you give JP a call they will help with the situation.

UBR setup is what I'm currently running, do you know what Buffer you are using? is it a Standard or a H+? I'll give a call to jp once I get out of work.

Curtis,

I just changed from a rifle length to carbine length JP buffer and spring and had zero problems on my CTR-02. My buffer spring measures 11.25".

Also,I think my carbine buffer is standard. I do know that it weighs the same or 1/4 oz. less than my low mass JP Buffer (rifle length)because I weighed them before I installed it. My adjustable gas block is set almost exactly per JP's instructions maybe 1/4 turn more. I am also running the low mass carrier.

Good luck.

little gnomes that live in my BCG use hammers to pre-dent my primers, so that when the fp does hit it, they go off. Its an option on some newer rifles.

I use the new Wolf predented primers. In case the gnomes go on strike.

I am using a JP Carbine buffer spring in an UBR stock with no problems. I am away from home so I can't measure, but I am sure if you give JP a call they will help with the situation.

I am using this set-up with a standard carbine weight buffer....zero issues thru several thousand rounds of milspec and commercial ammo. You need to call JP

I have these springs in two carbines. A Bushmaster carbine, and a build with a BM upper on a Cavalry Arms lower. Both have the Spikes heavy buffer and both function very well. JP will help you out if you call. They are top flight folks.

ericm

Mark Gale

Armorer / Machinist

Specialized Armament

(480) 940-7397

Please start a new Slamfire thread in this forum, stating your original premise, and let the OP get his problem answered....

I'm sure many with experience and expertise will weigh in...

Eric Miller, P.E.

B.S.M.E

MEA Engineering, LLC

ericm

Gentlemen and I use that term loosely, it is a mechanical piece of equipment and MR. MURPHY can make it do just about anything he wants it to. I am a dumb high school drop out but during training to go to SEA (damn was it really 45 years ago)the M16 I was given did it several times before they took it away from me.

I run JP and Tubbs springs in ALL of my AR's carbines and rifles. I have never had one slamfire.

+1

did the gun okay before you changed the spring? any chance the gas block may have come loose or been bumped?