Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Racer Holster

jacala

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried the Race Master with a Caspian? I've been using a Racer for the past month or so with STI open guns and it works great, although it's really important to tighten the screws more than you think you should! Had my gun flip around a couple of times before I finally got it secure. Can't believe how securely the gun is held and how smoothly it can be drawn. However, back to the first question. I bought a Race Master for my 3 Caspians but the fit is too tight. I went through the recommended process of checking for a pinch in the aluminum holder, sanded the side of the insert block, checked for pin protrusion, etc. but I'm still getting several pounds of resistance to the draw. Very different feel from the Racer although I think the retention mechanism is the same. Sent an email to DAA to see if my problem is an anomaly or if the I need to do a little sanding. Don't want to void the warranty but can't really use the holster as is.

Has anyone tried the Race Master with a Caspian? I've been using a Racer for the past month or so with STI open guns and it works great, although it's really important to tighten the screws more than you think you should! Had my gun flip around a couple of times before I finally got it secure. Can't believe how securely the gun is held and how smoothly it can be drawn. However, back to the first question. I bought a Race Master for my 3 Caspians but the fit is too tight. I went through the recommended process of checking for a pinch in the aluminum holder, sanded the side of the insert block, checked for pin protrusion, etc. but I'm still getting several pounds of resistance to the draw. Very different feel from the Racer although I think the retention mechanism is the same. Sent an email to DAA to see if my problem is an anomaly or if the I need to do a little sanding. Don't want to void the warranty but can't really use the holster as is.

Thought you should know that Saul got back to me right away - impressive - and walked me through a quick solution. Just a little filing and the problem was solved. Draws are now fast and easy, with no loss of security in retention. Takes a little patience when removing material from the inside of the insert but the job went quickly. Thank you again, Saul.

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this post, ive been on the fence with what race holster to order and I think with the customer support backing this product im sold....

I feel the same way. I'm saving up for the racemaster now. You get what u pay for

• 2 months later...

They're exactly the same, although I think my Racer is slightly smoother than my RM was. Maybe it's the full Delrin platform the gun's dustcover sits on. I prefer the lighter weight & greater adjustability of the Racer.

They're exactly the same, although I think my Racer is slightly smoother than my RM was. Maybe it's the full Delrin platform the gun's dustcover sits on. I prefer the lighter weight & greater adjustability of the Racer.

Thanks... Racer it is I think.

Is the "tension" adjustable? Just not externally?

• 4 weeks later...

It was hyperbole, but see the second customer review here: http://www.ceddaa.com/Sights/Mounts/3in1-sti-cmore-mount.html?osCsid=440d63ea1caeda5a8f0a700418aef1f6

Believe it or not, shipping may actually be cheaper directly from DAA in the Netherlands. It's worth checking into, anyway.

Call em

I just order a racer from cedhk.com

Shipping on their website to Hawaii was 40 bucks for UPS ground, I called and spoke with Kim, asked if they shipped thru USPS, she said yes, she then took my order and info.

She check that they had everything in stock, called back to confirmed my order and

Took my CC info, you can't beat that kind of customer service.

Can anyone tell me if the Racer is ambi or not. Wife and I both shooting and she is just getting into it so she doesn't go all that often yet, but when she does get into it more it will be hers. Having said that I will be using it for now but I'm a lefty so trying figure out if it will work for a hand-me-down or not. Thanks for the help.

Can anyone tell me if the Racer is ambi or not. Wife and I both shooting and she is just getting into it so she doesn't go all that often yet, but when she does get into it more it will be hers. Having said that I will be using it for now but I'm a lefty so trying figure out if it will work for a hand-me-down or not. Thanks for the help.

No, DAA sells a left and right hand model.

• 4 months later...

Might have been covered:

I can't get it adjusted low enough. I like the back strap even with the top of my belt.

What's the solution?

What model are you referring to?

I have the RM and can't get it low enough either.

Anyone know if the racer hanger allows more drop?

HI,

There is no Click generated in our Racer, Or Race Master holster. The system simply does not have a part that "snaps" so no sound is created.

Some are used to having that from other holster times, but it really serves no purpose.

thanks

saul

I checked your website for combos.. i want a holster and 3 mag pouches.. but when i click on combos.. nothing comes up ? any advise ?

The Racer is more adjustable then the Racemaster.

does the Racer hold a pistol secure ? i see its less expensive... i am in the market for a holster.. which do you prefer.. the RaceMaster or the Racer ??? there are no stores around me to check them out in person..

thanks

I checked your website for combos.. i want a holster and 3 mag pouches.. but when i click on combos.. nothing comes up ? any advise ?

Did you got to DAA.biz (euro site) or CEDDAA.com (US site)?

does the Racer hold a pistol secure ? i see its less expensive... i am in the market for a holster.. which do you prefer.. the RaceMaster or the Racer ??? there are no stores around me to check them out in person..

thanks

The RM and the Racer use the same locking mechanism and once the gun is holstered and the lock engaged, both will hold the gun equally securely. I once tried to draw my gun (RM) and accidentally left the lock engaged - recipe for an atomic wedgie.

As for trying one or checking one out, best to get yourself to a range near you and ask around. Shooters being shooters, most will be very willing to let you check out their gear.

If I had a do over, I'd get the Racer because it has a greater height adjustment and a thigh pad.

I just picked up a DAA Racer to replace my Ghost holster for my STI Open gun, and so far I really like it. I do miss that positive "click" I got from the Ghost that let me know the gun was properly seated in the holster, but the stability of the gun once it's in the Racer is far superior. The Ghost still allowed a little bit of "rocking" movement when the gun was in the holster, but the Racer is ROCK SOLID, and the gun does not move at all. The Racer also has more FAR adjustability than the Ghost does. I chose the Racer because I really had no need for the Race Master. I only have two guns that I can run Limited or Open, (an STI Open, and a Glock with 2 top-ends that I can run in either Limited or Open), and I already have another complete rig for the Glock. Also, just changing the locking block is not really of any use to me unless you either change the mag pouches on the belt, or move the holster to another belt with mag pouches. It's just easier to have two compete rigs.

Edited by Parallax3D

I have the Racer for my M&P. Absolutely love it. You can adjust everything and it doesn't wiggle a bit. For everyone that is worried about the click, when you insert it into the holster, just flick down the lock. The locking mechanism won't work unless the gun is in there perfectly. After a couple days you'll get a feeling of where the gun needs to be and won't have to activate the lock anymore to know that it's secure. Also, starting a stage with the holster locked, you can naturally unlock it while drawing with your index finger. That was a big issue I was worried about with 3 gun and after a couple days with the holster, I did my first draw on the run without ever practicing unlocking it and it went off without a hitch.

I used to have Ghost holsters and switched to the Race Master. The Ghost was fine but what I really like about the RM is that the gun is rock solid when locked in. No back and forth motion at all. Not saying the gun would come out of a Ghost but I just much prefer the solid feel of the RM.

I used to have Ghost holsters and switched to the Race Master. The Ghost was fine but what I really like about the RM is that the gun is rock solid when locked in. No back and forth motion at all. Not saying the gun would come out of a Ghost but I just much prefer the solid feel of the RM.

Same here. Never had a problem with retention with the Ghost but the pistol always flopped around a bit. Rock solid with the RM. It gives me a little more confidence in the rig. Don't know why. I will say the Ghost is far more adjsutable than the DAA RM of mine but required constant retourqing to stop it from moving.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a racemaster for my STI Steel Match... i am experiencing a problem with the holster not engaging when i re-holster.. the allen head screw on back of the holster does not go down all the way...and the lock cannot be lowered into position... i read the info that came with the holster and not sure about which adjustment could correct this problem.. anyone have an idea ?

Edited by cecil