Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters Math

Steven Cline

So I went to the range to practice and decided to shoot the 4"x7" oblong shoot-n-see targets (as they are something like undersized A zones) at 7 yards. I fired 2 shots each at 4 of the shoot-n-see targets. 8 shot strings.

I shot 100 rnds on that drill. I checked the timer and found I was averaging .33 (or less) splits on the 8 shots. 100 rnds... uh... that's only 33 seconds.

I was there for 45 minutes and only spent 33 seconds shooting?!?

I had bought another 50 rnds of factory for grins and giggles and shot them for 2" accuracy shots at decent speed; maybe .5 - 1 second splits. Let's call it .75 second between shots on average. That's only 37.5 seconds.

Together I spent 1 minute and 10.5 seconds shooting.

1.4 seconds per draw. I made 13 draws. I spent 4.2 seconds drawing.

Essentially I spent 1 minute and 15 seconds, "shooting."

WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WITH THE REST OF THOSE 43 MINUTES AND 45 SECONDS????

Lol I got a strange look when I told somebody I spent 9 hours on the range for a major match for 5 minutes of shooting!

Ah ha ha ha ha ha, snicker...

I just watched my video from the Texas Limited. Two days at the range... 5 minutes of video including intro, transitions and credits. We are a sadistic group. The better we get the less time we spend doing it.

We more efficiency turn cash into smoke and noise.

Don't do that same kind of math with a woman and your check book

Yup, it's a steep hourly rate. :roflol:

Doing the same math for a cross-country major match is hilarious.

All of the time that goes into producing one round of match ammunition -

the time it takes to practice putting that one bullet in a place you want it -

the cost of delivering that bullet a few states away -

and the actual time it takes you to do it in comparison ends up being a really interesting number. :ph34r:

Edited by DyNo!

I have had this discussion with others in the recent past.

I will be flying to the Double Tap. 12 stages, if I am really good I'll shoot under 5 minutes. Well under. I'll have two days of travel, 5 nights of Hotel, a car rental. Even sailing seems cheap by comparison when we do the match this way! At least then you pend entire days actually using the boat!

Tomorrow I will be at an indoor .22 steel match, 8 stages, 5 runs each, 40 runs, and if I am any good at all I will be shooting less than 2 to 2-1/2 minutes. $50 bucks to shoot, 40 miles of driving and near 10 hours out including the drive!

At least this hobby keeps me out of bars. (most of the time)

The next time someone asks me why I take so long, I can now show them how I'm getting more bang for my buck, more time for my dime, more zing for my bling, more flash for my cash. This new math rocks!:roflol:

Don't do the math...I repeat, do not do the math. In another sport I did well enough to get an award. It was an out of state shoot. I mistakenly did the math. Most expensive piece of wood I own. :)

LOL!

Indeed, you could have bought the trophy for less.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife brought this kind of math to my attention last Summer. I participated in the IDPA Nationals. Including the round trip drive from Northern Michigan to Oklahoma I was gone 6 days and my "time" for the match was 130 seconds.

For some strange reason she didn't think that those 130 seconds justified the stack of credit card bills that I brought home. :rolleyes:

It's simular to me buying a parcel of land, fencing it, building deer blinds on it, then planting grain..... so that I can put a couple hundred pounds of venison (which I pay to have processed) in my freezer.

I really don't want to know the cost per pound. :surprise:

I used to think people that Jog in the rain were crazy. Then I realized I got up on a sunday before I do for work, drove an hour to a match, picking up buddies who's truck broke down. Stood outside in 10 degree weather wearing all the clothes I own around a burning pile of wood in a drum. Shot more than 130 steel targets using ammo that cost god knows how much per round (16 cents not including the press or my time). Made a gun that costs more than my car is worth all dirty. Paid a fee to do all this, along with food and gas all day. then drove all the way back, where I proceeded to brag on Facebook how I beat my other SS buddies by all of a few seconds. Spent all day, way too much money, and was pissed I pulled the trigger for almost 160 seconds. (too many SS reloads).

I am not mad about any of that. I loved it! I'm mad I don't get to do it again today... :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I have got to say I never really thought of about it that way and am kinda sad I did lol. I always figured shooting was cheap compared to racing cars, or boats, or fishing, even golf. But if you think about the actual amount of time you end up shooting on the clock vs racing or on the green, even behind the ball it is a little out of whack, fishing if you only count the time with one on the hook...

I can see now how some people I know won't shoot our local matches during the summer. We have gotten 75-100 people and we're on the range from 9-5 sometimes (worst case). That’s 8 hours on the range and my youtube videos come out 3-4 minutes depending on stage length, intro times... funny to think about it in those terms. Luckily I enjoy the comradery and jokes on the range almost as much as the shooting.

Oh, that math... My range is over 45 miles away, and I drive there once a week ($1.55 each way in tolls no less). My truck averages 16.5 miles per gallon... close to $20 in gas per trip...

I planned on getting back into matches 2 months ago, but one thing or another has kept me from even doing that.

I swear... if I didn't practice so much, I might actually be able to shoot matches again :surprise: