Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best AR

countryboy223

i am looking to buy a new Ar-15 that can do it all. i am a college student so buying multiple weapons is kinda out of my budget right now. i currently have a bushmaster 16in carbine but am looking to upgrade to something better. i have looked at the stag 3g and it looks very promising. any opinions on what the best ar-15 would be to do everything from 3gun, to coyote hunting, to home defense?

I was in the same boat and decided to slowly upgrade the rifle I had (16" stag). First I did a comp, then free float the tube, then real optics, and then a real trigger. I did it as the money allows and it took a while, but now I have a very functional, sub MOA rifle with good ammo that I didn't have to plunk down all at once. My only thought is if I had to set that comp off inside the house, I would be deaf forever, so I have a different rifle for that now...

I'd get a good trigger and the a different upper. That's the great thing about an AR, you just need to buy half the rifle to have a different one. With a good trigger and some practice, you would probably be surprised what that little 16' carbine is capable of. Give it a try first, then slowly upgrade.

What is your budget for this rifle?

Stag 3G or DPMS 3G1 if you are looking to stay on a budget. Otherwise JP, Firebird, Larue, or Noveske are top of the line rifles but will cost you some more coin.

My advice to a college student would be to shoot what you have until you finish school, have a good job, and have paid off any student loans. Now if you have a fatty trust fund that would change my answer and I would think you could get whatever the heck you felt like!

:cheers:

I'd get a good trigger and the a different upper. That's the great thing about an AR, you just need to buy half the rifle to have a different one. With a good trigger and some practice, you would probably be surprised what that little 16' carbine is capable of. Give it a try first, then slowly upgrade.

Agree!

new barrel....new trigger group...so for about $400 to $600 you have basically a brand new rifle without the $1,000 to $1,500 new rifle price tag.

I say keep it as is, and spend the money on ammo and practicing instead.

new barrel....new trigger group...so for about $400 to $600 you have basically a brand new rifle without the $1,000 to $1,500 new rifle price tag.

I say keep it as is, and spend the money on ammo and practicing instead.

What division do you want to shoot? TI might be the cheapest. You can be pretty competitive with a 20" standard upper in TI if you know your holds, have a good trigger, and NM front sight. FF tube is a nice option, but not necessary to start out.

You could put a dot on your current configuration. Vortex strikfire or sparc, for around $200 and still shoot TI/Limited 1x.

Run what you have and master a stock rifle. A 25 cent trigger job will do wonders.

Spend your money on a 22lr conversion for practice.

Learn to shoot your irons then think about optics.

My 12 year old can really tear it up with a 16" Bushy, irons, and Miculek comp.

As the others have said, until your out of school shoot what you have, upgrade the trigger and barrel if you have the cash otherwise spend the money on practicing. For the first year I shot 3 gun I didn't even own an ar, I had to borrow from friends/family for matches. When I finally did get one I had a lot better idea of what I wanted.

i am looking to buy a new Ar-15 that can do it all. i am a college student so buying multiple weapons is kinda out of my budget right now. i currently have a bushmaster 16in carbine but am looking to upgrade to something better. i have looked at the stag 3g and it looks very promising. any opinions on what the best ar-15 would be to do everything from 3gun, to coyote hunting, to home defense?

What is your price range. For the money in my opinion the Stag 3G offers a great value. For the best of the best there are lots of different opinions. I will say you can't go wrong with Noveske, JP, or Larue.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

i currently have a burris mtac and a free float tube on my bushy. i shot three gun last year with it and really enjoyed it. basically the bug has just bit me for a new ar and i want to upgrade to something that would be better for three gun and coyote hunting. i would put my burris on the new weapon and look for an eotech for my current gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a good barrel, free float tube, and trigger. You don't need multiple uppers/lowers/etc... You can make your bushmaster work just fine for what you want just with these three changes. The fact that it says "bushmaster" on the side instead of something else doesn't matter.

Darren

The Stag 3 gun rifle is great, but also look at LOKI weapon systems. They have an awesome 3 gun rifle with an 18" stainless double fluted Satern barrel with rifle length gas that would be a great all around rifle.

I wish I could combine the Stag and Loki...

I like the Loki reciever, lower,and adjustable gas... but with the Samson forearm and Super 3 gun trigger.

Loki will custom build you exactly what u want.

As a new guy to this sport, I appreciate two big things:

1) This community. Sponsored shooters are here talking to us and helping us out on a daily basis. Other experienced shooters, as well. All very much appreciated.

2) The vendor community seems deep. JP, Loki, Firebird, Stag, and many others. We have a rich selection of choices!! :cheers:

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but this particular conversation brings out these two thoughts very clearly.

Thank you all. Ssanders224, let us know how it goes. A very customized Loki would be interesting to see. I've been interested in their DMR upper or rifle myself for 20".

One suggestion for you. If you are going to seriously use this rifle for yote hunting, go conservative on what you use for a brake. If you hunt with a partner most of the time, like I do. They won't appreciate slap in the face or the ringing in their ears that is the result from being at a 90 to your Rolling Thunder, Miculek, Cooley, ect. comp when you touch one off. Or take it off all together and use a thread protector. They are great for shooting, but not much for hunting. Unless it's prairie dogs or something similar, where you can use hearing protection. Good luck