Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beveling magwell opening in Production?

lugnut

Note: threads merged here.

A friend of mine and I were out practicing the other day and I noticed that he had beveled or shaved down the inside of his magwell on his M&P pro 9mm. I asked him if it was legal and he said yes it was but I was thinking otherwise.

Whats the verdict on a modification like that to a production gun?

Edited by Flexmoney

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the

opening may be more than 1/4” greater than the corresponding

dimension of a magazine. External flaring

remains PROHIBITED.

So one is free to bevel the inside of the magwell on the front and back, but not the sides, correct? Excuse my kindergarten reading comprehension, just wanting to double check if that is the rule. haha

The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the

opening may be more than 1/4” greater than the corresponding

dimension of a magazine. External flaring

remains PROHIBITED.

So one is free to bevel the inside of the magwell on the front and back, but not the sides, correct? Excuse my kindergarten reading comprehension, just wanting to double check if that is the rule. haha

Most grips do not have much room if any side to side. You might get an extra 1/8" if you are careful. Front to back you generally have a good bit of extra room to play with. An example would be a Glock where it is possible to fill in the hole at the rear of the grip with epoxy and then after it hardens bevel it into a much larger opening. Some guns have more material to hog off than others so they tried to standardize maximum dimension changes.

• 1 month later...

From Amidon's article in the latest issue of Front Sight:

"Side beveling is not in the rules, and therefore not allowed."

So if the rules don't address something, that something is not permitted. At least that is how I read it.

Hmmm this appears to different than what Corey was told...

and leads me to the email I sent to John this morning dry.gif

I don't want to Post John's email with out his permission but It says something to the effect "front to back including the sides" Then he publishes what he did in front sight. Its one or the other.

Hmmm this appears to different than what Corey was told...

and leads me to the email I sent to John this morning dry.gif

I don't want to Post John's email with out his permission but It says something to the effect "front to back including the sides" Then he publishes what he did in front sight. Its one or the other.

Someone cue the Jeopardy theme song.

• 1 year later...

Any updates to the confusion on this? Any rulings on the internal side beveling? there a lot of guns running out there with360 degree beveling. what about if a similar model has the beveling from factroy? Ie if SP-01 has a bevel - would other CZ 75s be allowed to have one to?

Please don't say do a search. Or read the book.... I have. Looking for latest discussion - you know like you do in forum ;)

Lets talk English, and grammer. Yes read that. It says beveling front to back over 1/4 is permitted, doesn''t it ? Not that it has to be under 1/4" ? And by not mentioning side to side at all, it is either saying that side beveling up to 1/4" is permitted since they had to specifically allow front to back to exceed 1/4"? Or are we going with since it does not mention side to side beveling it is not allowed because it is expressly not spelled out as being allowed?

According to others in this thread Amidon has already contradicted himself a few times on this, who wrote the riule originally and what did they mean it really say?

I always though it was intended to allow 360 beveling up to 1/4" greater than width of mag, and the rule is written to specifically allow the front to back beveling to exceed 1/4" to acomadate locks with the speed funnels some were running?

And in any case does it make any sense that if 1 version of a Shadow (or other make) comes factory with beveling, why could not open up the magwell to match the factory option dimensions?

Oh, wait, I know..... Ask Amidon. Yup if we keep asking often enoufgh he will contradict himself again to fit our argument :)

Edited by sfinney

As long as we are quoting rules ,

21.1 says you can do internal mods, for polishing,function,reliability,etc...... As long as they are not visible when gun is in battery. I'd argue magwell beveling improves function, or at min is heavy polishing, AND IS NOT VISIBLE when a gun is in battery (if you assume that would be with a mag in place.) so is not external in appearance when the gun is loaded, in battery, and ready to fire.

Per existing NROI ruling, any “internal” modifica- tions which result in a visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed

by the plain language herein

As long as we are quoting rules ,

21.1 says you can do internal mods, for polishing,function,reliability,etc...... As long as they are not visible when gun is in battery. I'd argue magwell beveling improves function, or at min is heavy polishing, AND IS NOT VISIBLE when a gun is in battery (if you assume that would be with a mag in place.) so is not external in appearance when the gun is loaded, in battery, and ready to fire.

Per existing NROI ruling, any “internal” modifica- tions which result in a visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed

by the plain language herein

You might lose that argument with the RM however......

Arbitration's not an option....

When pushing to the boundaries, you run a risk -- is the benefit worth it?

No It's not worth it. I' m not advocating we cheat or push boundaries, just stating I think its criminal our rule book needs so much"interpreting" and there is only one person who you can ask for clarifications, and he has reversed himself on numerous occasions depending on who asks the question.

I'll comply with the latest blurb as per Amidon and not bevel the sides.

Just curious why there would be a specification that magwell beveling CAN exceed 1/4 inch front to back? Is there or was there anything saying it could not exceed 1/4" in any other dimension? Why the need for the language saying it could exceed 1/4" one direction without any explanation about the other direction? Just unclear, bad grammar IMHO .

Are you referring to this section as in post #2 above? Damn that's clear as mud... but I'm good with it! :rolleyes:•No magwell attachments or external flaring of themagwell. The lateral width of the well may not bemore than 1/4" wider than the lateral width of themagazine.

Where is this language from? If it was part of D4 22.4 it would make the rest of that statement in the current rules have more context and make more sense. Was a sentence deleted from an old rule book, but the clarification remained?

As long is it doesn't alter the grip and have any external flaring it would be legal

And the lateral side to side measurement is less than 1/4" greater than the width of magazine, and longitudinal length CAN be over 1/4".

That would be my interpretation.

Man it would be so nice if john just said all the way around or just the sides lol. I mean the email I got last year said all the way around. Front sight says no just sides.

Edited by steel1212

Personally, I think as the years go by, there are too many rules. Each year it seems everyone forgets the KISS principle and has to add more rules. I think a primary rule - #1 should be - if a rule is added, one must be deleted.

I'd be in favor of out of the box is "Production". But that horse left the barn a long time ago.. Buried Bomars, aftermarket slides and barrels, triggers so light and massaged they out shine limited guns. Yup kinda hard to undo all that.

How many "open" division production guns are floating around right now from misunderstanding this rule I wonder? (Letter in hand from j.a. or not)