Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions on a cz limited gun

Scoobb

So I started shooting uspsa competitions october last year and I've been having a blast. I have been shooting limited class with an XDM and prefer to stay in Limited. I like my XDM, but I have the itch for a new limited gun, it is just the 4.5" model.

I have been shooting and reloading for a long time, I'm just new to the runnin and gunnin.

Obviously I would love to have an SVI but the wait and the price I think is just a little beyond me right now. I just started back to school for the first time in ten years. So price is somewhat of an issue here.

I have not personally owned a cz but have shot plenty and I really enjoy their products.

Is there a gun in the cz line you would recommend for a limited gun, maybe a TS ? Or a custom cz of some kind that isn't out of the world priced ?

I'm just curious to hear input from the cz crowd.

I would prefer a price under 2k, 1500 sounds more ideal.

thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CZ TS is the only choice to run in Limited.

high enough capacity. good trigger, very accurate gun

if too heavy with the dustcover, cut it back a little.

depending on your hand size. the gun feels great if you take off the checkering on the frontstrap and backstrap

The OP also stated he would love a SVI type gun but the price is beyond him right now and was looking for a cheaper solution. I would think a $2K CZ is probably to much coin too.

Heck, even a base new TS by the time you set it up the way you want, and buy mags.... you could just about get a decent used STI, if thats your preference. I've seen several STI guns on the board around $1400 with mags. Just Sayin'.

FWIW, I have had a couple TS .40s, and a few 75s for Production, and liked them all alot, so I'm not just hating on CZ. They are great guns. If you decide on the CZ route, and are patient, you might be able to find a used IPSC Standard or TS package, with mags, etc, for well under a grand.

Thanks for the input, kinda what I figured, just thought I would ask.

I'm not necessarily in a hurry to purchase. I have thought about a used STI but if I go that route I will just go with SVI. I was just trying to explore other alternative platforms.

Will a CTS hold its own up against an STI style gun ? Also I really need to sell a few of my current guns before I purchase another.

Will a CTS hold its own up against an STI style gun ?

Yes. The TS has no inherent competitive disadvantage compared S_I limited guns. You'll get 20+1 or 21+1 rounds of .40 in a 140mm, with superb accuracy and excellent reliability (even better, the specifically-designed-for-.40 frame of the TS feeds factory will a high degree of reliability, while some S_I setups prefer the short .40 to be loaded longer).

IMHO, the only downside to the CZ is aftermarket support. The 2011 is a circular argument - everyone shoots it for competition because of the aftermarket support. The reason there's aftermarket support is that everyone shoots it...

I won't deny that the S_I guns are attractive, durable, and get fantastic trigger pulls. But I've got my eye on a used CTS that has a trigger that gives up nothing to a 1911. My Production/3 gun pistol is a CZ 75 Shadow, and the CTS feels like a pretty close approximation for a limited gun, albeit with a better trigger.

There are about 4 or 5 folks regularly shooting CZ's out at the range. I've seen the CTS choke a couple of times (extractor spring was too light), but that's it. They run pretty darned well. 5000 through my Shadow this year and after an initial problem with light primer strikes (went to a heavier mainspring), it's been trouble-free. I'd expect a CTS to be similar.

The CTS gives up nothing to the STI. It is heavier than a plastic grip gun but that is a matter of taste. Also take a look at how many top Limited shooters go to metal grips. The CTS is nice enough to come stock with one. Once the buzzer goes I can not tell the difference between my stock TS trigger and my uber-breathed on STI Open guns. I would immediately put an extra strength extractor spring and extended firing pin in. The other thing, beyond the cost of the gun is mags. CZC basepads and a Grams kit gets me 21 reloadable for much less than it would take me to get that with an S_I mag.

Dear Demigod Angus,

Please, please, please convince CZ to build a .40 S&W Shadow top end. Please, please, please.

Blind Bat

Why? The capacity would not be good.. A TS with the Chechmate grip contour is about the best there would be.

I was in the same place you were a couple of years ago. I had to decide how much I wanted to spend on an S_I or find something different. I had a buddy who shot a TS. I remembered shooting one day after a match. I started pricing the guns. I had been using S_I mags with another brand of gun I was using at the time so I didn't need to buy mags with the S_I. Then, I priced the TS. I was able to buy the gun, mags, mag bottoms, springs, and sights for about $200 less than the other gun I was looking at. The TS is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. So, I like the TS. I like it so much that I took another one in on trade a few weeks ago.

Dear Demigod Angus,

Please, please, please convince CZ to build a .40 S&W Shadow top end. Please, please, please.

Blind Bat

Why? The capacity would not be good.. A TS with the Chechmate grip contour is about the best there would be.

I know this thread is about limited guns but I've thought about the convenience of using one for production. Would save loading two calibers.

I know this thread is about limited guns but I've thought about the convenience of using one for production. Would save loading two calibers.

been there, done that. not worth it.spent the first two years fiddling around making stuff that wasn't supposed to work, work.

plus 40 cal in a small frame is limited to 15 rounds in 40, 14 reloadable. it sucks.

been there, done that. not worth it.spent the first two years fiddling around making stuff that wasn't supposed to work, work.

plus 40 cal in a small frame is limited to 15 rounds in 40, 14 reloadable. it sucks.

Is the 75b not reliable in .40? I was talking about .40 shadow for prod, wouldn't matter about the capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been doing more research on the TS and the CTS and I think I'm going to pick up a CTS from the custom shop. In my research I read some comments that just didn't vibe well with me. I think I saw something along these lines said twice " If you are a C or D class shooter, get it it's a great gun" Which to me these people are saying yeah it's a great gun but you will never get M or GM class with one, which I kinda think is BS.

Anyway I think I'm going to end up going with the CTS, I usually take the road less traveled :)

I know this isn't the reloading forum but from what i've read in the past I know cz's are notorious for having a short leade. I will probably be running 180's in the gun and I've got some n320 sitting around I'll probably try out. Can you guys get something like this loaded out to 1.15 ish ?

I run MG 180s at 1.130 to 1.135. I would start around 4.3-4.5 with 320 and chrono. My CZ eats JHPs with glee but others have had feeding problems with them that went away when they switched to round nose.

Edited by Neomet