Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions on a cz limited gun

Scoobb

So I've been doing more research on the TS and the CTS and I think I'm going to pick up a CTS from the custom shop. In my research I read some comments that just didn't vibe well with me. I think I saw something along these lines said twice " If you are a C or D class shooter, get it it's a great gun" Which to me these people are saying yeah it's a great gun but you will never get M or GM class with one, which I kinda think is BS.

Anyway I think I'm going to end up going with the CTS, I usually take the road less traveled :)

For what it's worth, I'm one of those "C or D class shooters". When presented with the opportunity last week I picked up a low-mileage CTS to be my first real Limited gun. I've only got about 200 rounds through it so far, and have yet to shoot it in a match. However, I have read the comments I think you're referring to, and I don't get them, either. I can't fathom why the pistol would not be highly competitive at the top level of the sport. Neither could an A class shooter who tried it yesterday. Two of my mags will hold 21 rounds and still seat relatively easily (Grams springs and CZ follower). I just can't see how this gun is going to put me at any sort of disadvantage.

I'm currently loading 165's in mine to 1.30 with WST, and this load is accurate so far.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been doing more research on the TS and the CTS and I think I'm going to pick up a CTS from the custom shop. In my research I read some comments that just didn't vibe well with me. I think I saw something along these lines said twice " If you are a C or D class shooter, get it it's a great gun" Which to me these people are saying yeah it's a great gun but you will never get M or GM class with one, which I kinda think is BS.

Anyway I think I'm going to end up going with the CTS, I usually take the road less traveled :)

I know this isn't the reloading forum but from what i've read in the past I know cz's are notorious for having a short leade. I will probably be running 180's in the gun and I've got some n320 sitting around I'll probably try out. Can you guys get something like this loaded out to 1.15 ish ?

ignore those people and vibes. fancy guns don't determine what class you sit in. i can't count how many people walk around with $5,000 and never get out of D or C. or, people who keep buying a new thousand-plus dollar gun thinking it's what takes them to the next level. it's the shooter, not the equipment. pick one gun and run with it. never change, and shoot the piss out of it.

ignore those people and vibes. fancy guns don't determine what class you sit in. i can't count how many people walk around with $5,000 and never get out of D or C. or, people who keep buying a new thousand-plus dollar gun thinking it's what takes them to the next level. it's the shooter, not the equipment. pick one gun and run with it. never change, and shoot the piss out of it.

I've really been wondering about this.

I shot my way to a reasonably high level in Sporting Clays with a mid-range gun (Browning 425). My shooting partner was one of the top shooters in the world in the Senior class (won gold overseas one year). He shot a few different guns while we shot together, but all of them were mid-range guns (Beretta 303's and 390's, Browning Ultra).

A lot of the competitors were shooting $8K+ Kreighoffs. I shot them many times, but I never found something in them that would get me to give up one of my Berettas or Brownings in favor of them. I also shot Perazzis and Kolars a few times and also never felt anything that would have given me a competitive advantage.

My partner and I had always discussed that if you had a shotgun that was durable, reliable, and put the shot charge where you looked (fitted for you), there was no reason to ever switch guns unless you got bored, regardless of the brand. Dance with the one that brung ya. We'd shoot everything with the same gun just to get the trigger time and experience. The more you shot the one gun, the more likely you were to know exactly how it performed when you faced a real challenging shot.

So when I've read those comments about the TS, I have wondered if my experience with shotguns didn't translate over. I have assumed that similarly to shotguns, they way to improve is to pick a gun (or platform if you want to division hop) and get as much trigger time with that gun or platform as you possibly can. I've thought that if you've got a reliable, durable, accurate pistol, there's no reason not to shoot it everywhere it's allowed to get completely comfortable with it.

Thanks for backing that theory up. Maybe I need to make a 3 hour drive south and get some CZ shooting lessons from ya. :)

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Really, I don't hammer people into buying what gun or gear they need or one way of thinking how to shoot. There are lots of options out there. I don't care what gear you shoot. The most important one is to pick something that is widely used and has a good track record.

Nice gear always helps, but my definition of truly nice is something that just works every time. For example, people can scoff at an 8 to 9 lb DA pull. If you make it 5 lb, does that mean you get to hold big checks over your head next match? Doubt it. Just give me something that shoots straight, doesn't jam, and has a high MTBF.

My story: ispent the first couple years wasting my time fiddling with guns that didn't work. I never started getting better until I got something that worked right. I stuck to it, and made good gains in the following year. Hence stick to one gun that works and run with it.

Holy hell that was painful to txt on my phone lmao.

The CZ TS is a very good gun right out of the box. I shot one for a year. I did add a FO sight but later went back to the blade sight as I was more accurate with it. The mags holding 21 give you an advantage. The only down side to the gun is having to load short 1.140 with 180gr RN MTG. The weight definatley helps you shoot it faster than a tupperware gun.

So what happened, I ran onto a used STI Edge with mags holster etc for $1500, took the pill, you know eveyone and their brother was ragging on me about shooting anything other than the S_I platform, so I gave into peer pressure. The immediate thing that happened when I switched is I slowed down and it took a while to get back to where I was with the CZ.

So bottom line is the CZ TS is a great gun, and so is the STI edge, it may just be more about the money but you have to look at the whole deal, holster, mag pouches, mags, base pads etc.

I just wanted to add, I'm not necessarily on a gear hunt for the newest greatest thing out. I just want a .40 cal gun to shoot in limited class, for a long time, and obviously improve my game. I am currently shooting 9 minor. An XDM to be exact, and I don't plan to get rid of this gun. The only .40 cal gun I have is a springfield EMP, it has a 3" barrel and 8 round mags, so thats probably not a great option for limited.

I also really like the 5.4" barrel on the cz.

Yeah I thought about picking up the 5.25 in .40 but I'm really wanting a little more weight in my hand. I have a buddy that picked one up when they first came out, and I would end up changing just about every piece of the gun out and I still don't think the trigger would be anywhere near as nice as a cz. Also I would have to cut up my blade tech holster to get the 5.25 to fit. I have all the powder river components in mine including their titanium components, and the trigger is very nice for a striker fired gun. It was no where near as nice as the shadow target I handled in the store the other day. So basically yes I am looking to try a different platform that is not polymer framed. I really do like the gun and shoot it well, but I don't want another one in .40

well I just happened to call the cz custom shop yesterday and they were awesome to deal with. I paid them today for a cts and it's already in the hands of fed ex. I ended up getting 2 sizes of front sights, one thinner than whatever comes on it. I also got an additional three mags.

I will post some pics when I get it, it will be at my dealer on thursday, but I probably won't have it in my hands till next week.

I'm pretty frickin excited about it!

When I began shooting IPSC I got my hands on about anything that is there on the market here. Glock/bull M5 IPSC/Tanfoglio... Then it was a time for my to actually buy a gun and I bought CZ-TS, only 500 after I thought about upgrading it's front sight to fiber and then the aluminium grip and thumbrest, and even when I am done it is still as good as. But finaly when Adam Tyc arrived to range and I saw him shoot ( he shot standard from a regular shadow) and beat everybody by 12% ( he had a bullet stuck in the barrel so he had to stop one stage and get 0 for it and after that he still beat everybody )

So it is really the shooter, not the gun

adding pic of my 2 babies: both with my own hands fined

http://imageshack.us/f/96/27062011378.jpg/

Edited by asimonp79

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I will throw my input in since I am running a CTS from CZC. I love the gun. Had an extremely rough time with it last weekend found out that most of the problems I was having were my own fault.

If you get the CTS I HIGHLY recommend the Gram Springs and Follower. - I was doing nothing but jamming at the ends of the mags till I installed for this weekend.

I would also recommend a heavy extractor spring. - I was getting a lot of double feeds and this took care of it.

I also would recommend to use nothing but Atlanta Arms & Ammo or hand loads out of it - My splits were 10x better with the Atlanta.

well I just happened to call the cz custom shop yesterday and they were awesome to deal with. I paid them today for a cts and it's already in the hands of fed ex. I ended up getting 2 sizes of front sights, one thinner than whatever comes on it. I also got an additional three mags.

I will post some pics when I get it, it will be at my dealer on thursday, but I probably won't have it in my hands till next week.

I'm pretty frickin excited about it!

Did you get your CTS? If so, how do you like it? Pics still coming?

Thanks

Mark

Here is one pic, I had a few more, but I'm having trouble finding them. I really like the gun, I recieved six mags with it and it kind of pisses me off that only about 2 mags out of the six drop free from the gun the other 4 stick pretty bad. I also found out I wont be able to use the bayou 180's, I have to load them down to 1.100 and im just barely off the lands at that distance, but I found out the berry's 180's I can load to 1.135-1.150 and still be a safe distance off the lands, also the bullet is about .030 shorter than the bayou's. So i'm much more comfortable with that. I was getting major velocity with 4.2 n320 with the bayou's

post-34798-0-19005000-1330183243_thumb.j

Redbird,

You must be the one that had the extra extractor spring 2 weeks ago. Thanks. As you can see from this thread I have redone everything. Shot last weekend with only one hiccup. See you Sat.

I'm glad the spring helped. Unfortunately, I'm on injured/reserve at the moment. I'll see ya'll in a couple of weeks.

Here is one pic, I had a few more, but I'm having trouble finding them. I really like the gun, I recieved six mags with it and it kind of pisses me off that only about 2 mags out of the six drop free from the gun the other 4 stick pretty bad. I also found out I wont be able to use the bayou 180's, I have to load them down to 1.100 and im just barely off the lands at that distance, but I found out the berry's 180's I can load to 1.135-1.150 and still be a safe distance off the lands, also the bullet is about .030 shorter than the bayou's. So i'm much more comfortable with that. I was getting major velocity with 4.2 n320 with the bayou's

On my TS I had a couple spots on the inside of my frame, near the magwell, that I hit with a file. I didn't care too much as I plan at some point to have it refinished. With the gun you've got I'd hate to do that.

Injured reserve....Thats not good. Well I finally got everything going again on my pistol.

Here is how it ended up.....CTS 40

13lbs Recoil Spring

FACTORY extractor spring

Main spring that comes on it.

The mag drop was killing me too....I had to do some heavy filing to open up the bottom of the mag well....I also had one mag that would swell .010 of an inch when loaded. I smacked it once with a hammer and it was all good. Now they all drop easy and had no problems sat....Did well for 5 weeks at it....Had no gun issues was my main thing....You can ask redbird....Two weeks ago it all went wrong....

I know this isn't the reloading forum but from what i've read in the past I know cz's are notorious for having a short leade. I will probably be running 180's in the gun and I've got some n320 sitting around I'll probably try out. Can you guys get something like this loaded out to 1.15 ish ?

I'm one of those. Can't get out of C with my high priced S_I. Now will shoot the piss out of my CZ's and i'm ready to stop fiddling and just shoot. I'm actually dumping my S_I for a CZ TS.