Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stand up or stay seated

Smo11

Guys I am wondering what your thoughts are on a stage that your are seated with hands on knees and gun loaded on table at start signal all shots must be taken from behind the table and you can see all the targets from seated.

I decided to stay seated and didn't shoot as well as I should have I was told that it is faster to stand up and shoot.

I would say stand up.

I wouldn't think you would be losing time by standing up, because you have to take your hands off of your knees and grab the gun. All of that can be done while you are standing up. Also I feel you will have better recoil control and better transitions when you are standing up.

I would say stand up.

I wouldn't think you would be losing time by standing up, because you have to take your hands off of your knees and grab the gun. All of that can be done while you are standing up. Also I feel you will have better recoil control and better transitions when you are standing up.

I agree, Plus most of us don't practice shooting seated as well. If there is lots of shooting, I'd stand up for sure as well regardless. If I was seated and holstered and I only had a few close targets (and that was it)- I might draw and shoot seated... really depends.

My guess is that the amount of time saved by shooting seated would be offset by being able to shoot faster splits and better transitions by standing up. better recoil control standing vs. seated, and like the other posts said shooting seated is not normally a position we practice. It depends on the stage though. If the targets were close and easy I probably would stay seated and let 'er rip

I always stand, plus it seems like alot of the stages that start you seated with a gun on the table also have you starting with the gun unloaded so in that case your loading the gun while coming up. No time lost there. If the start is with a loaded gun then unless its only a couple of easy targets I would stand up. It would have to be a real small stage to not have to relaod in production or ss. Always easier standing.

Weigh the factors.

- How many rounds do you have down range standing?

- How many rounds do you have down range seated?

- Do the targets require much transition distance between them? (target transitions happen lower in the body...for most ;) )

- Is there any real speed loss/gain with either choice?

[Edit to add...]

The answer to those question, for me, almost always ends up with me standing ...allowing me to shoot from my regular shooting stance. I tend to win/do well on these stages at State and Area matches.

(btw...try a search. This has been covered. There is good info.)

As you can see from the responses, it depends. The Saul Kirsh video does a very good job of covering the question. Some very good tips on the subject in the video, I like the position of the magazine if you are starting with the gun unloaded - smart.

Guys I am wondering what your thoughts are on a stage that your are seated with hands on knees and gun loaded on table at start signal all shots must be taken from behind the table and you can see all the targets from seated.

I decided to stay seated and didn't shoot as well as I should have I was told that it is faster to stand up and shoot.

I have tried both. Standing works for me.

If the gun is unloaded at start, I stand.

If the gun is on the table at start, I stand.

If the gun is loaded and holstered I remain seated.

If the gun is loaded and holstered BUT I have to do a reload on the clock, I stand.

Distance to target so far has not been a factor. I can hit just as well on my butt as I can on my feet. :goof:

Edited to add that: On a very few stages the WSB has specified that when seated your knees had to be touching something under the table. Basically, the course designer was trying to make you shoot seated because it forces you up against the table and you cannot just stand without first getting the chair moved back. On those stages I shot seated.

Edited by lawboy

Stability is key... I think you'll find a stage in the last single stack national where you are seated and you have to get the pistol in the briefcase. Imho. Standing up would be the best way...

Weigh the factors.

- How many rounds do you have down range standing?

- How many rounds do you have down range seated?

- Do the targets require much transition distance between them? (target transitions happen lower in the body...for most ;) )

- Is there any real speed loss/gain with either choice?

[Edit to add...]

The answer to those question, for me, almost always ends up with me standing ...allowing me to shoot from my regular shooting stance. I tend to win/do well on these stages at State and Area matches.

(btw...try a search. This has been covered. There is good info.)

I tried doing a search I can't seem to find anything maybe I'm not using the correct search words do you know where any more info is on this. Thanks