Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$1200 to buy a NON Glock?

dkclimber

OK, I am a huge Glock fan. I currently own and shoot all/most of the 9's (26, 19, 17, 34). My wife has given her blessing to purchase another pistol with a budget of $1200 but, as she also enjoys shooting, she wants me to purchase something other than a Glock because she wants to shoot something different.

I'm going to start shooting IDPA and USPSA matches with my son next month and for now I will use my Glock's. I would like to purchase a .40 to add some variety and maybe have a pistol for major's down the road when I'm worthy of shooting another division aside from production.

What would you buy? I like them all and sort of leaning towards a SIG 226 Tactical Operations in .40. I also like the H&K P30L and XDM 5.25 in .40

How about a cheap 2011 to start building?

Edited by dkclimber

OK, I am a huge Glock fan. I currently own and shoot all/most of the 9's (26, 19, 17, 34). My wife has given her blessing to purchase another pistol with a budget of $1200 but, as she also enjoys shooting, she wants me to purchase something other than a Glock because she wants to shoot something different.

I'm going to start shooting IDPA and USPSA matches with my son next month and for now I will use my Glock's. I would like to purchase a .40 to add some variety and maybe have a pistol for major's down the road when I'm worthy of shooting another division aside from production.

What would you buy? I like them all and sort of leaning towards a SIG 226 Tactical Operations in .40. I also like the H&K P30L and XDM 5.25 in .40

How about a cheap 2011 to start building?

Next on my list is an STI. In the mean time I have a Kimber Gold Match II Stainless in 9MM that I love to shoot! Interestingly enough, I have been modding some Glocks for the past year or so and do no shoot it much. It is pretty every time I open the safe though!

A lot of this depends on what feels right to Her. It can be a great gun but if it does not feel right or shoot right for her, then why buy it? See if you know some people with those firearms that will let Her shoot them to see what She likes and go from there.

In my top ones to try would be:

S&W M&P Pro

Springfield XDm 5.25

The Various CZ's

Various 1911-ish platforms (like the STI, 2011's etc)

the suggestion to get more input from the wife is a good one.

i personally feel like plastic guns have no soul (even tho I have a couple m&p's). If I had $1200 to spend I would be looking at a cz with some custom work, or a 1911, or something else made of metal, that I could put pretty wood grips on, but obviously you have your own preferences.

It also makes a difference whether you are looking for something competitive, or something for range and fun, or something for carry and defense.

I'm also a Glock fan (I shoot a 34 in Prod, and sometimes Lim minor [when I just want to pull the trigger]).

At a match last weekend, a guy let me try his CZ SP-01 Shadow from the Custom Shop. Very sweet! I'm not familiar with the .40 CZs, but I'm sure you could get plenty of information on this site.

You also can't go wrong with STI Trojan.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I haven't checked out the CZ's and it looks like they have a good following. STI was a pistol that I thought was too far out of my budget but I'm going to spend some more time shopping.

In the end the wife will have input. She has shown a lot of interest in the sport and has asked to join my son and I when we start competing next month. Maybe I'll need to reserve some of these funds to get her own rig started. I figure if she's into it then as a family we will compete. That has to be good for expanding the shooting budget!!!

I'd get a good 1911... I got a Springfield Loaded, but a STI Trojan would be a great bet too! With the exception of my Springfield, all of my competition guns are Glocks. I switched to an arched mainspring in my 1911 and it points very similarly to a Glock now... Cheap and easy conversion!

You can look into a 1911 in either 9, 40 or 45... Each has an advantage in different parts of the games we all play! Having said that - I'd stick to 9mm or 45...

+3 or so on the most important thing will be getting the one your wife likes. I think you might want to keep it in a caliber you're already shooting - it will make things simpler, and may make it easier.

At that price, you can get a pretty nice CZ, or a very well tuned 5.25 XDm+holsters, ammo etc or well-tuned M&P+holsters, ammo, etc. You should also be able to get a pretty good revolver set-up for that money.

I would avoid the Sig - nothing wrong w. them, but you can get much nicer triggers in other guns.

There's nothing about being "worthy" to move into different divisions - I think I've have guns for all of them, except limited (not the best route), and I've pretty well settled on Production, and an XDm 5.25.

Obviously, I don't know your wife - but it might be easier to get her one of the plastics, w. a top-end tuning, and a belt, holster, etc for your budget, then getting into the "now we need to buy a belt, holsters, mag pouches, ammo, etc, etc."

Edited by Aglifter

Nothing has the same grip angle as the Glock - it will take some time to adapt to it!

In your place, I'd get a STI Spartan and use the change to get set up for reloading .45 - for Classic Division (you guys call it Singlestack?)

+1. I agree wholeheartedly with this. I have been hunting for a limited pistol but the thing that keeps me out is the reloading set up cost.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, I would buy a big bore revolver, like a 500 S&W or a 480 Ruger, or a 454 Casull, if you don't' already have a 1911, you should, every one should have at least 1 1911. Sigs are nice, so are CZ's. Do you have an AR, my wife loves shooting my AR, she hogs it when we go to the range, i have to go with out her to get to shoot it.

As different as a FN Five-seveN? At least the recoil's manageable.

Or, what others have said: let her shoot a bunch of pistols and let her decide.

Edited by SeaTact

In May of 2011, I purchased a Springfield Range Officer for $750 - great deal. Nice gun, and it should still be within your budget, today. This December, I added a Dawson fiber optic front sight, a Smith & Alexander mag well, Rosewood Hogue grips, and an Ed Brown extended magazine release (don't have big hands). It is a good entry level gun, and the additions were made to address specific issues I had.

I don't know what your wife likes, but I cannot say enough good about the 1911 platform. A nice 1911 really enables a shooter to perform to the best of his or her ability without any excuses.

I had a chance to shoot a XDM 5.25. Nice pistol but I'm really not use to the high bore and more perceived muzzle flip. I''m looking forward to more range time this weekend and hoping I'll have a CZ and STI anything to try. Thanks all for the input.

My problem is that I like so many of these!

ONE NINE ONE ONE!, Then I would look at the CZ75-SP01 Shadow that you can get from Angus at CZ custom.

Only having glocks is like only eating and liking a cheeseburger at Burger King. The 1911 is like the Big Mac! If you never had one, you should try one!

Randy

For the 1911, look at a STI Trojan in 40.