Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot Shots 2012 Premier Sunday January 8th 8:00 am Central Time

I was happy to see it on a relatively major channel, and I think they made good choices about who would appear on the show, but I wish the show had been more about the shooting and less about Jerry's favorite Mexican restaurant. If I hadn't known what Steel Challenge was when the show started, I'm not sure I'd understand it any better when the show was over.

I don't know much bout the archer and the shotgunner, nor do I know a lot about their competitions/shows. I'd like to have learned a little more about competition archery or exhibition shooting and a little less about balancing a sport with a farm or having to spend long hours in the gym.

All in all, I got the feel that the same team was on this that works on those profiles of Olympic athletes during lulls in the games. I'll keep it on the DVR, but I think Scouten et al do a better job of producing a show I'm interested in.

That said, it was reassuring to see KC and Jerry each struggle with a problem I struggle with - missing the first shot. I guess I really DO shoot just like a GM (only in twice the time).

Very well produced ..and I believe that was the first part of the shooters being followed. I think that the future episodes will continue following them on preperation for the steel challenge and exhibition shooting and archery etc. And be much more in depth

Production quality was excellent. Script was ok. Without all the commercials it was probably only 20 minutes of filming. Splitting time across 4 shooters (with a cameo from Dave Sevigney) each shooter had maybe 5 minutes of airtime apiece and the footage was jumping all over the place, going from KC for one minute, then the Jerry going to lunch, then Flanagan working out, etc, making it feel really choppy and hard to get into. I understand what they are doing though...introducing the characters and setting the plot for future episodes by showing the struggles/adversity that champions have to go though to be champions. A bit over done but I'll give it a by for this first episode. I would have liked it better if they featured just ONE shooter exclusively for the entire show, then move on to the next shooter the following weekend.

Edited by Kali

The premise was never made clear, what is this show about? No lead into what all the build up is about. I understand the Steel challenge, but the average joe is not going to understand what that competition is all about. Archery, ok, so little time was spent on that guy, what was the point? Flanagin, again, what is the premise to his invlovement on the show? Is he competing for something, world records was mentioned, but then who really cares that he can shoot 7 clays from the hip one handed. I'd watch Jerry all day, he is a hoot and what you see is what you get. Hopefully production will tighten up, otherwise this ones a goner.

Like it. IF for no other reason it shows shooters as average folks who have a passion for their sport. I really think the shooting sports are getting some traction among the average folks even if they dont do it. From my perspective non shooters who are not anti's can appreciate the skill and effort it takes to exel. If nothing else it is a great PR for us as a community and will make unbiased non shooters think in a different way.

• 2 weeks later...

^^Same question.

It's not available on the internets anywhere like Top Shot always was.

Reruns on the internet was the only way I would get to see it. I come back from a Christmas trip to visit family to see my cable provider dropped the channel for "3 Gun Nation" and "Top Shots". Not even available if I was willing to pay extra.

Bill

NBC Sports used to be called Versus, for us the only thing that changed was the name. The channel is the same as versus. Sucks they dropped it. Versus is the only channel the covers hockey. I'd go insane.

It was a good news / bad news situation. They dropped Versus-NBC Sports but added three Spanish TV Channels. Life is good? (No, I do not habla espanol.)

Bill