Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot Shots 2012 Premier Sunday January 8th 8:00 am Central Time

I'm sure this won't be a popular statement .... but this is why we are wrong when we all chime in on shooting shows bemoaning the fact they don't spend more time on shooting.

It's boring. I'm like the above, I could watch JM because I know his personality. But KC is a machine ... and just about as fun to watch (sorry KC). The actual footage of JM isn't fun to watch either. I found myself wanting the History channel's slomo cam showing me where the bullets landed! Listening for the tings ... just isn't fun.

Exhibition shooting is worse. More entertainment with the interaction with the cameramen. ... "you did get that shot, right?", etc

I'll continue to watch for two reasons. Loyalty for the sport/2a. Would hate to miss it if something did happen.

But honestly, I watch this off DVR and while multi tasking (playing games with my kids i.e.)

I'd be much more interested in a different sport (the highly repitition steel challenge? really). Give me something with stages ... i.e. CASS, IDPA, USPSA, 3gun, etc. 20 years ago I thought the world was dumb for not televising skeet, first sport I became interested in at the time. Someone said that the good competitors made all the shots look the same ... and I had that "aha" moment. Skeet drama ... will he go 100, 110, 120, X ... shots before missing. SC drama ... can he "cut loose" on his last run and if so, he can run it in 1.34 instead of 1.52 ....

So we end up with life glimpses ... picking out an engagement ring, saving the farm, etc ... and it feels like olympic coverage all over again.

Realize, this is the perspective of a shooter, I suspect the unarmed masses have an even more negative bias.

I'm sure this won't be a popular statement .... but this is why we are wrong when we all chime in on shooting shows bemoaning the fact they don't spend more time on shooting.

It's boring. I'm like the above, I could watch JM because I know his personality. But KC is a machine ... and just about as fun to watch (sorry KC). The actual footage of JM isn't fun to watch either. I found myself wanting the History channel's slomo cam showing me where the bullets landed! Listening for the tings ... just isn't fun.

Exhibition shooting is worse. More entertainment with the interaction with the cameramen. ... "you did get that shot, right?", etc

I'll continue to watch for two reasons. Loyalty for the sport/2a. Would hate to miss it if something did happen.

But honestly, I watch this off DVR and while multi tasking (playing games with my kids i.e.)

I'd be much more interested in a different sport (the highly repitition steel challenge? really). Give me something with stages ... i.e. CASS, IDPA, USPSA, 3gun, etc. 20 years ago I thought the world was dumb for not televising skeet, first sport I became interested in at the time. Someone said that the good competitors made all the shots look the same ... and I had that "aha" moment. Skeet drama ... will he go 100, 110, 120, X ... shots before missing. SC drama ... can he "cut loose" on his last run and if so, he can run it in 1.34 instead of 1.52 ....

So we end up with life glimpses ... picking out an engagement ring, saving the farm, etc ... and it feels like olympic coverage all over again.

Realize, this is the perspective of a shooter, I suspect the unarmed masses have an even more negative bias.

You are so correct. Hopefully the new Pro series made for TV version of 3 gun Nation next year will get it done.

OK. I was disappointed to see some of the "top" shooters starting their Rimfire steel challenge practice runs with their finger in the trigger guard. Not ON the trigger of course...but definitely inside the trigger guard.

Probably a hold-over from days before the rule was changed (last year?), so I don't blame them so much. I hope the RO's didn't allow that.

(Sorry -- it's the RO in me...)

OK. I was disappointed to see some of the "top" shooters starting their Rimfire steel challenge practice runs with their finger in the trigger guard. Not ON the trigger of course...but definitely inside the trigger guard.

Probably a hold-over from days before the rule was changed (last year?), so I don't blame them so much. I hope the RO's didn't allow that.

What's the rule? The rimfire guns still start out at that weird 45 degree angle right? If they AD before the beep the round is still safely into the ground 10' or further away isn't it?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

What's the rule? The rimfire guns still start out at that weird 45 degree angle right? If they AD before the beep the round is still safely into the ground 10' or further away isn't it?

5.2.3 In the Rimfire Match, there will be an aiming point (flag or sign) centered downrange directly in front of each shooters box approximately 10' away and 2' high. One aiming point will be required for each shooting box used. The competitor while waiting for the start signal, must be pointing/aiming their gun at the flag/sign with the finger outside the trigger guard. [emphasis added]

It wasn't always that way.

But it is now....

http://steelchalleng...7/SCSARules.pdf

Was there a big problem with AD's? Or did the USPSA just feel the need to make more rules?

That would be a good question for USPSA, but I suspect the answer would be along the lines of, 'It's an inherently unsafe practice and not allowed in any other recognized (by USPSA) division'.

Were there ADs associated with that practice? I've seen a couple. Maybe they did, too.

Was there a big problem with AD's? Or did the USPSA just feel the need to make more rules?

That would be a good question for USPSA, but I suspect the answer would be along the lines of, 'It's an inherently unsafe practice and not allowed in any other recognized (by USPSA) division'.

Were there ADs associated with that practice? I've seen a couple. Maybe they did, too.

I'm guessing the "inherently unsafe practice" logic would be especially relevant in rimfire SC, given that we tout that as an ideal introduction to the shooting sports. Do we really want to teach juniors and new shooters to put their finger on the trigger at Make Ready?

BB

I'm guessing the "inherently unsafe practice" logic would be especially relevant in rimfire SC, given that we tout that as an ideal introduction to the shooting sports. Do we really want to teach juniors and new shooters to put their finger on the trigger at Make Ready?

BB

I don't. And having seen you run a stage (professionally), I suspect you don't want to, either.

I agree it makes sense. It kinda seems like restating the obvious rules that are already in place. Or training the RO's on SCSA specific things to watch for. I know in 3 gun I tend to cheat towards getting my booger picker on the bang switch early. If the RO's don't watch for it eventually it can lead to an issue.

Back in topic with the show. I bet the producers of the show don't even realize they are showing an unsafe act. My money says they probably haven't ever shot SCSA.

I agree it makes sense. It kinda seems like restating the obvious rules that are already in place. Or training the RO's on SCSA specific things to watch for. I know in 3 gun I tend to cheat towards getting my booger picker on the bang switch early. If the RO's don't watch for it eventually it can lead to an issue.

Back in topic with the show. I bet the producers of the show don't even realize they are showing an unsafe act. My money says they probably haven't ever shot SCSA.

I honestly didn't mean any disrespect to the competitors, or the RO's. It a recent change and some may not be aware of it.

I just hope they get the word soon.

(Again, it's just the RO in me....)

• 2 weeks later...

And I think that is the point right. The way the Olympics are covered is to make it more real, to make the athletes into real people, identifiable experiences that we all have.

Personally I think the show is great, its targeted at a broader audience, and any TV that is promoting shooting in a positive way is OK with me.

It is the opposite of shooting usa, american rifleman, etc...All those shows are targeted at the choir, they already got the messag

I finally watched it this week, and I wasn't very impressed. To be honest, I fast forwarded through the segments with the shotgunner and the archer. Watching KC shop for a ring is pretty boring, IMO. Watching KC an Jerry practice was OK, but not enough to waste 1/2 hour.

And I think that is the point right. The way the Olympics are covered is to make it more real, to make the athletes into real people, identifiable experiences that we all have.

Personally I think the show is great, its targeted at a broader audience, and any TV that is promoting shooting in a positive way is OK with me.

It is the opposite of shooting usa, american rifleman, etc...All those shows are targeted at the choir, they already got the messag

I would add, the background stories help us to become fans of these obscure athletes. We want to root for the guy who overcame dyslexia or the girl who returned from a serious injury (made up these scenarios) ... so we get on the edge of our seats hoping they succeed.

My post was directed to those who only want to watch the shooting. I see it most in the "top shot" threads. Many want to skip the "in house drama". It's the staple for "survivor" ... at least it was years ago when I tried watching it. Board/bored members would rather see more shooting coverage. I think the show has to add some "flavor" for the masses, raw shooting footage isn't very compelling.

@mwx40x40 ... yea, my provider has replayed several. I think there are a handful of episodes shown tho ... so hang in there and you'll see new episodes soon enough.

Edited by kdmoore